The Student Room Group

ELAT Advise

Hello!
I am planning on applying to Oxford next year to study English. I know that one of the main objectives of the ELAT is to distinguish candidates on the basis of critical analysis of unseen texts, so there isn't much preparation you can really do aside from practicing unseens, essay technique etc.
However, is there anyone who scored highly who could maybe give some insight into how they award marks? For example, how many points are expected, are extra marks given for more advanced terminology, into how much depth do they expect you to go etc.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by truthypants
It's marked out of 60 (double-marked out of 30) by two external markers.

From the Explanation of Results:

50-60 marks means you should get an interview, 43-49 marks means that you probably should, provided the rest of your application is good. Below that, you're less likely to be invited unless other aspects of your application outweigh this. But then you don't find out your mark until January so you don't need to worry about this.

I imagine using advanced terminology would impress markers, but much like any other English exam they don't literally see an advanced term and give you another mark.

Don't over think it - just go in and do it like you'd do any other close-reading exam, that's what I did.

Also, it won't be until November next year so why are you worrying now?!

Thank you! Well, I can see what you mean, it is quite early. I ask now mainly because I felt that people would still remember the exam quite well, but also just because it seems sensible to get ahead of things. Thank you anyway!
Reply 2
Original post by ciaranchilli
Hello!
I am planning on applying to Oxford next year to study English. I know that one of the main objectives of the ELAT is to distinguish candidates on the basis of critical analysis of unseen texts, so there isn't much preparation you can really do aside from practicing unseens, essay technique etc.
However, is there anyone who scored highly who could maybe give some insight into how they award marks? For example, how many points are expected, are extra marks given for more advanced terminology, into how much depth do they expect you to go etc.
Thanks!

Have you seen this thread yet?
Reply 3
Original post by hobnob
Have you seen this thread yet?

Oh dear, that's embarrassing. I hadn't but it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Reply 4
it's adviCe, isnt it? :O

fairly ironic :P ELAT ...
Reply 5
Original post by Assassnum
it's adviCe, isnt it? :O

fairly ironic :P ELAT ...

Oh God, the humiliation just gets worse!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending