The Student Room Group

Iran slams UK for human rights violations in student protests

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by crazycake93
That may be so, diverting people's attention. But speaking morally - is it ''ok'' to beat innocent protestors and kettle masses of people who aren't related to the protest.
I'm not advocating Iran's use of a military rule to make the people live in fear, etc. But its hypocritical to say that while Iran violates human rights, the UK does not. As you can see from some of the comments on this thread, you can clearly see my arguement in terms of bias.

FWIW I don't think these so called police tactics are right at all.

on the other hand it doesn't follow that people in the UK and the UK government shouldn't speak out about much worse abuses taking place in the world just cos 'we're not perfect either'
Original post by sinbad23
Let me guess your israeli and you believe wikileaks 100%

Let's not pretend here. You were probably getting wet over the prospect of Wikileaks "exposing" Israel and when something quite the opposite happens it turns out Israel controls Wikileaks. :rolleyes:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I tuned into that channel, and a mother called into a Q&A session to ask if it was permitted for her toddler son to play with dice... :lolwut:

Sounds like I've just found my source of entertainment next time I crack open a bottle of rum :cookie:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I tuned into that channel, and a mother called into a Q&A session to ask if it was permitted for her toddler son to play with dice... :lolwut:

I'm sure the wahhabi warned her about dice being the testicles of Satan or something, but if it stops her letting a toddler play with something it can choke on - that'll do I suppose.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I'm sure the wahhabi warned her about dice being the testicles of Satan or something, but if it stops her letting a toddler play with something it can choke on - that'll do I suppose.

He probably told her this hadith:

Muslim (2260) from Buraydah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays with dice, it is as if he dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.”
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
He probably told her this hadith:

Muslim (2260) from Buraydah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays with dice, it is as if he dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.”

And of course he takes it at face value. This is the problem with hadiths and the way people deal with them. Dice have a use, and it's obvious what that hadith is getting at, but then you take it for what it says, even a toddler is forbidden from using them.

You could get round it by putting a stickers on the faces to hide the numbers...or you could argue that it is not haram to dip your hand in the flesh and blood of a pig (which is true).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Ohh the irony...
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
And of course he takes it at face value. This is the problem with hadiths and the way people deal with them. Dice have a use, and it's obvious what that hadith is getting at, but then you take it for what it says, even a toddler is forbidden from using them.

You could get round it by putting a stickers on the faces to hide the numbers...or you could argue that it is not haram to dip your hand in the flesh and blood of a pig (which is true).

Yeah I understand. Look at this hadith which is very persuasive:

Abu Dawood (4938) and Ibn Maajah (3762) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays with dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood

But, that hadith is apparently saying that it's as if he has eaten the pig, it's an expression.
Reply 48
Original post by sixthformer
alcohol
intoxiates
people
makes them get migranes
severely damadges liver
makes them drunk and not even able to control their actions
makes them lose morality and humanity
yet people do it
corrupt.

that was a piece of fail.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Yeah I understand. Look at this hadith which is very persuasive:

Abu Dawood (4938) and Ibn Maajah (3762) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays with dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood

But, that hadith is apparently saying that it's as if he has eaten the pig, it's an expression.

but it doesn't say eaten - it says dipped. There is an Arabic word for eat, and its not the same as dipped...I'm just playing the same game here, so don't take that seriously.

I can believe the hadith is sound, I just think that playing with dice refers to gambling games that involve dice. Merely throwing a cube with numbers doesn't sound like it should be a sin.

Actually, this being an Iran thread - Ayatollah Khomeini, I believe classified Chess as permitted, even though the classical Shia traditions are very much to the contrary. Chess was used for betting though it has lost that connotation, which is perhaps why. Then again, he (and others) also permit sex changes given certain conditions...which would probably have seemed bizarre to the early Shia.
Original post by Addzter
Did we just get trolled by... Iran? :lolwut:

UK and Iran troll each other constantly... you would know this if you was a politics nerd (like myself)
This is so ironic it burns my eyes.
I love you Iran.
Reply 53
love it
Reply 54
Oh dear, the number of people calling them hypocritical for pointing this out.

The issue here is that we're the hypocritical ones, as we've spent a long time accusing Iran of violating human rights only to do the same thing in our protests.
Reply 55
Original post by Folderol

Any thoughts?

Yes, they should mind their own business and watch their own backyard first.
Iran be trollinn and they hatin'
Original post by DivinityofReason
UK and Iran troll each other constantly... you would know this if you was a politics nerd (like myself)

Ok sorry m8
The Iranian lawmaker might be sayin the truth but ... how ironic! =.=

I bet if there is a student protest in Iran students will be treated worse. :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Original post by TheBigCh
Oh dear, the number of people calling them hypocritical for pointing this out.

The issue here is that we're the hypocritical ones, as we've spent a long time accusing Iran of violating human rights only to do the same thing in our protests.

:facepalm2: What kind of moron compares the Iranian reaction to a protest to the British one. Do you know nothing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending