The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by LondonGirl22
Ooh you're from the States - awesome! Where abouts? And yeahhh St Andrews! I've applied there too, if they offer me (and that's a big if) then my first choice would be a joint tie between Durham and St A's, I have no clue how I'd be able to choose between them though, they are both so nice! I've applied to Sheffield, Southampton, and Bristol as well - where else have you applied? Bad luck about Oxford :frown: but on the plus side, somewhere as awesome as Durham has accepted you :smile: so congrats!! And yep, I do live in London :biggrin:

I live in Arkansas . . . quite rural. I've been to London twice, most recently in early 2009. I'd think if you are in Durham, St Andrews would definitely take you as well. Edinburgh accepted me but I don't think it is as appealing as either Durham or St A. In the states, I am applying to Yale, Cornell and Swarthmore (and already accepted to Baylor and Tulane--have you heard of these schools?). btw, I did hear from Chad's today and, although it won't be official until after the new year, the office administrator emailed to say she has my application in hand--not to worry. Exciting!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by steffanie
Received by a college for law!
So excited.
I'm hoping this is a good sign anyway! :biggrin:

Congrats! Will it be your firm?
Reply 1882
Original post by Jing_jing
I went to visit St Andrews last year and it was gorgeous :love:

Yeah, it looks fantastic from the pictures . . . are you applying there this year?
Reply 1883
I think we apply in numbers out of proportion to the others bc of a concerted marketing campaign by St A. And, for me, the size of the american contingent is a bit of a put-off--it has enough americans enrolled to start its own liberal arts college. And I am getting feedback that with that many, they end up quite segregated. On the other hand, Durham is a bit of a sleeper--largely unknown--here in the states; so the number of americans enrolled will be quite small. Durham also has the Colleges, which I think will force integration and make my experience much more exciting culturally. At St A, I end up in a band of americans encamped in a foreign uni--at Durham, I'm likely to become English.
(edited 13 years ago)
Is anyone going to the post-application open day on 22nd/23rd march??? Particularly university college and law department????
Original post by skypig97
Yeah, it looks fantastic from the pictures . . . are you applying there this year?

No, I decided not to in the end seeing as it's 5 years for a Bachelors Degree in Maths and Economics and despite loving the place, I'd rather spend 5 years in education and come out with a Masters Degree. And in the end it was also just a bit too small for my liking! Oh, and I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold :tongue:
very good sign!! Congratulations!!!:smile:

Still ridiculously over-excited, eek.
Reply 1887
Is it true that the Languages Dept. take quite a while to make offers? (I'm applying for Combined Honours Arts, specifically French and Maths, and am a bit worried that my application is still with the department, although i sent it two months ago...)
Reply 1888
Original post by Nia M
Is it true that the Languages Dept. take quite a while to make offers? (I'm applying for Combined Honours Arts, specifically French and Maths, and am a bit worried that my application is still with the department, although i sent it two months ago...)

Are you an overseas applicant?
Offer for Theology :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I did an open application, but luckily I still got in. They have accepted me, but they haven't told me which college I've been allocated to!
Original post by Nia M

I applied for same course, they did take awhile to get back to me too (about 6 weeks). Could be because your application is quite unusual, combining the Arts subject with a hard science (as opposed to the social science combinations the prospectus makes clear are more popular/acceptable). Were you hoping to take any other arts subjects apart from French, its just they may be a bit iffy about the choice of course, thats just looking at it from my point of view though.

Of course I coulld've missed the small print in the prospectus etc. and be completely wrong in this assumption though!
If you're worried about how far you've progressed though, have you tried using the AES? Durham should've sent you an email when you applied with a PIN you could use to track the progress of your application, www.dur.ac.uk/aes.
On here it should say whether your application's been recieved by the Department or College yet.

Hope this helps a little an good luck :smile:
Original post by adam0311
Congrats! Will it be your firm?

I'm not sure, I'm far too indecisive! I'm still waiting on another two, and then I'll visit anywhere that needs to be visited :smile:
Reply 1892
Are you an overseas applicant?

No, I'm not.

Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
I applied for same course, they did take awhile to get back to me too (about 6 weeks). Could be because your application is quite unusual, combining the Arts subject with a hard science (as opposed to the social science combinations the prospectus makes clear are more popular/acceptable). Were you hoping to take any other arts subjects apart from French, its just they may be a bit iffy about the choice of course, thats just looking at it from my point of view though.

Of course I coulld've missed the small print in the prospectus etc. and be completely wrong in this assumption though!
If you're worried about how far you've progressed though, have you tried using the AES? Durham should've sent you an email when you applied with a PIN you could use to track the progress of your application, www.dur.ac.uk/aes.
On here it should say whether your application's been recieved by the Department or College yet.

Hope this helps a little an good luck :smile:

I've been using the AES thing - it still says my application is with the department. And I've been in to see the Combined Honours office, and also the French and Maths departments, and they never said anything about my combination possibly being an issue with it combining an Arts and a Science subject. :frown:
Original post by mrmayrhofen
Is anyone going to the post-application open day on 22nd/23rd march??? Particularly university college and law department????

I think i should be going, just unsure due to the school musical being that week so don't know if i can get out of it :/ University college but for music :smile:
Reply 1894
I got my offer for history exactly a month ago today, and still heard nothing from any college! Originally applied to Hatfield, has anyone else had it take so long? :redface:
Original post by eve_m
I got my offer for history exactly a month ago today, and still heard nothing from any college! Originally applied to Hatfield, has anyone else had it take so long? :redface:

I think it means your first choice can't take you so you've been sent somewhere else. Only a guess due to the long wait, you'll find out soon enough!
Reply 1896
Original post by Noodlzzz
I think it means your first choice can't take you so you've been sent somewhere else. Only a guess due to the long wait, you'll find out soon enough!

Yeah that's what I figured.. shame, seeing as I sent my UCAS on 3rd September, you'd think they'd have space seeing as as far as I know, Durham do it on a first come first serve basis.. Oh well :smile:
Getting worried now.
my application was 'received by a college' at least 3 weeks ago now, but i still haven't heard anything through ucas. Anyone know whats going on???
Original post by rubberdam123
Getting worried now.
my application was 'received by a college' at least 3 weeks ago now, but i still haven't heard anything through ucas. Anyone know whats going on???

mine hasn't even been passed to the college yet eeeekkk! but im hopinf that there just on a break for xmas!
Original post by eve_m

Perhaps it might be an idea to give them a ring? It'll just getting busier and harder to get sense out of them as it nears and passes the UCAS deadline.
I applied to Hatfield too but I only got my offer today (yay) so I hope I'll hear about my college sooner than in a month!
After you heard from UCAS, did you receive an acceptance letter from Durham itself? if so, how long did it take you to get that?

How long after being accepted did other people hear about colleges?

Latest