The Student Room Group

Royal Mail, stop being wimps and do your job

It seems like they are looking for any excuse to sit back and not do their job.

It's not even cold where I am, and most of the snow has melted, yet items I ordered over a fortnight ago still haven't arrived.

And all this while the price of postage continues to rise. For what, exactly?

Scroll to see replies

Stuff comes from elsewhere first though. And they might still be covered in snow.
Reply 2
Ive had post every day for the last few weeks, even during the bad weather.
Reply 3
My post hasn't been affected that much even through heavy snow.
Its probably where you ordered it from, they are the ones taking long.
Reply 4
I've only had a couple of lots of post in the last week, but I completely understand why they aren't delivering. The roads and pavements around here are slippery and icy, despite me being in London.

Plus the people who would usually be sending you post might not have been able to get into work to send the post in the first place.
My post has been good.
Reply 6
My housemate's a postie so i've got some inside knowledge here - post is backed up quite badly in some areas. Workers were supposed to work overtime to get through the back log, but a lot of this overtime was cancelled with the snowfall, meaning the backlog isn't being solved.

The most interesting/annoying part of it though - Royal mail have a contract with Amazon which states that if the package isn't delivered in time, royal mail have to pay Amazon a fine (because amazon garauntees it will be there on time). Therefore, all amazon packages are put to the top of the pile so they don't incur a fine, meaning that the normal packages are left for even longer.

So, If you want something quick, order from amazon!
The snow is 10 inches deep round here, and our poor postman has struggled round every single morning since it fell!
Ive got all of the stuff that i ordered off amazon that is from amazon, but nothing from "other sellers" yet :frown:

fingers crossed...
There is a certain something called a backlog.

Even after the snow has melted they won't be running at full speed because of the backlog they gained from all the snow beforehand, so the "THERES NO SNOW AND MY PRESSIES AREN'T HERE!?!?!!1!!?" argument is a bit unfair.
Ordered stuff from Amazon and it took about three weeks to get to me...actually just remembered that the last thing I ordered still hasn't arrived. Amazon, you are fail.
Reply 11
I've had no problem with post , nor has anyone i know.
All our family's Amazon parcels for Christmas arrived today :smile: relief all round! Oh, except a book I ordered for my Mum, but that was the latest one I ordered so hopefully that will arrive tomorrow!
Reply 13
Apparently, my books are coming next year. :sad:
We've had one postal delivery this week. One. I live in the countryside but just off a well cleared A road so there's no excuse. In fact, I run a Kleeneze business and I went out and delivered my orders yesterday so I don't see why the post can't get around to us. So anyway, due to the lack of any post arriving I haven't had any of my Christmas presents arrive yet. I know they were dispatched from a company inside the UK on Friday so they really should be here by now, no matter the weather. Postage flights and trucks have been running fine. I could understand a delay in their delivery because of the snow but having had one delivery in the last week means that for all I know my post is just sitting at the sorting office waiting to come out to me and that's what's bloody annoying.
Reply 15
What is funny is courier services like UPS are still operating quite well. Royal Mail are just whiners at times, privatise the lot I say.
Intriguingly enough, the stuff I ordered to arrive sometime between the 17th and the 20th got here yesterday, but the stuff I ordered on the 21st got here at the same time as those packages. The posties here are still doing their job fine as far as I'm concerned.
Original post by dd4483
It seems like they are looking for any excuse to sit back and not do their job.

It's not even cold where I am, and most of the snow has melted, yet items I ordered over a fortnight ago still haven't arrived.

And all this while the price of postage continues to rise. For what, exactly?

I went work experience with the post men (dont ****ing as me why :rolleyes:)
and I can assure you 90% of them will be wanting to do their work!

But because of the fact they have very little post to relieved, and healthy and safety **** they cant.
Dont blame the posties!

The posties around here are doing more than their jobs worth tbh with you...
I've heard a few of them are sitting in their vans all day in rural towns as a collection point!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by PapaShmurff
My post has been good.

Yeah I've never had problems with my posts either. They're always high quality :nt:
The postman has managed to come every day - even came on Sunday this week! I'm still waiting for a stupid parcel that's meant to be delivered by some parcel company though, ordered it with next day delivery well before all the snow decided to come and now it looks like I won't get it until the new year. It was my Christmas present for myself :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending