The Student Room Group

Minimum age of buy chocolate liqueurs?

Im looking to buy my dad some for christmas. Im 17, will I be able to buy him any, or as im under 18 can I not get them?

My friend said the minimum age is 16, so I'd just like to check.

Cheers
Reply 1
It's 16. Depending where you buy them you might be asked for ID, though, as a lot of places use "think 25" now for all age restricted products.
Reply 2
I work in Asda, and you have to be 16 to buy them it just comes up 'check age' not the same as the alcohol ones.
thanks everyone :biggrin:
Reply 4
I didn't even know there was an age limit! I assumed they were exempt. Could you get pissed on liquers?
Only one way to find out...
Reply 5
Original post by JK471993
I didn't even know there was an age limit! I assumed they were exempt. Could you get pissed on liquers?

You'd die of diabetes before you even got close.

Have fun trying though :biggrin:

On topic, does anyone else think that "Think 25" is uber-retarded?
I got IDd for those the other night- legal age is 16 and I'm 20 :frown:

The year before last, I ate half a box of pretty strong ones after my lunch one day, before my driving lesson, totally forgetting that they had alcohol in them! It doesn't seem the same as drink-driving somehow, but certainly my reaction times didn't seem to be as good as they usually were!
How much alcohol is actually in them?
Reply 8

If a young child got hold of them they might just go "yum, chocolate!" and not realise they contain alcohol. I wouldn't have thought that 16 year olds would buy them to get drunk as they're quite expensive and the alcohol content is low.
Reply 9
Original post by sandys1000
How much alcohol is actually in them?

Doesn't matter as you'll nuke them if they're from israel or egypt :colone:
16 in John Lewis :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
You'd die of diabetes before you even got close.

Have fun trying though :biggrin:

I worked at ASDA for a short period at the start of the year, and I had to ID someone because they were buying a knife. It was a child's Toy Story knife. Not even sharp. I felt so ridiculous and so did the customer. Hahah. ID'ing for chocolate liquers is just...pointless. They've probably got less alcohol in them, in total, than an entire bottle of VK or WKD. :awesome:
I'm not sure... my sister couldn't buy rum icecream before because she's not 18. :teehee:
I don't think all the shops know this then.
I tried to buy some last year at Christmas in Marks and Spencers (I was 17). Got ID'd and was told I couldn't buy them! I tried explaining they were clearly for my mother, but nope.
Reply 14
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

No, I'm old enough and possess id to proove it, why do i care?
What do you have against it, how difficult is it to carry a driving licence in your wallet?

I remember someone asking me if we could sell shandy to kids in tescos. Yes, it contains no alcohol, eejits.
Don't think I've ever given a second thought to selling liquier chocolates when I'm on tills though, only things I care about selling are real knives (The message comes up for plastic cutlery lol), booze, painkillers and superglue. Anything else I'll sell to pretty much anyone, couldn't care less. Age is 16 for some stupid reason though, like you could get drunk on them or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Megaross
No, I'm old enough and possess id to proove it, why do i care?
What do you have against it, how difficult is it to carry a driving licence in your wallet?

I remember someone asking me if we could sell shandy to kids in tescos. Yes, it contains no alcohol, eejits.
Don't think I've ever given a second thought to selling liquier chocolates when I'm on tills though, only things I care about selling are real knives (The message comes up for plastic cutlery lol), booze, painkillers and superglue. Anything else I'll sell to pretty much anyone, couldn't care less. Age is 16 for some stupid reason though, like you could get drunk on them or something.

My problem is that, not having a driving licence, I'm required to bring my passport about with me and will have to for the next 7 years.

I don't see why I should have to carry ID for such a long time. Challenge 21 was reasonable, but 25 is going too far.

What's the point in squashing ID cards if you're then essentially forced to carry ID with you anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest