The Student Room Group

WHY ON EARTH do you aim so high in your studies?

Hello all;

I've seen some people who are VERY motivated and commited to a high standard in their university studies..

Could you please share with us the reasons why you aim high in your studies?

Personal reasons? social aspects? employability prospects?

I need some 'motivation' to aim for a first class degree...

Cheers! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For teh monies...
Reply 2
they interest me :smile:
Reply 3
Work hard now and it will pay off in terms of money and a career later. :smile:
Reply 4
I like studying.
Reply 5
Because I want money and sex with lots of super models. :colondollar:
I'm not willing to aim low and then not be able to do what ever I want because my acedemic achievements aren't hight enough.
Also, I like the aspect of competition.
Enjoying your degree would be one of them. Wanting to find out more about a subject you chose to study for at least 3 years.

A great job and money at the end of it.
Reply 8
This is why you need tuition fees. People don't want to do as well as they can unless they have a personal stake in it.
Reply 9
Original post by Student23
Hello all;

I've seen some people who are VERY motivated and commited to a high standard in their university studies..

Well if you honestly want to know...

I aim high not only because I was bred to believe that in this world competition is high and the only way to get good money is to get good job. But actually for a much more deeper reason- When I'm at ripe old age, sitting down on my arm chair and looking back at my life, I want to :biggrin: to myself and say, "I gave it my best shot and look at what I've achieved! I'm so damn proud!"

Then I can be pleased with my life.

Meh that's my reason anyway!
To get into a top university.
Reply 11
Original post by Blueflare
I like studying.

:lies:
If you aim high and fail miserably, you still get a pass.

If you aim low and fail, you...umm...fail...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Aiming high Academically opens doors for you. (I guess some may think otherwise)

It doesn't limit you in the way having a crappy academic track record would.

Although, of course this is probably for employability, but if you're your own boss, then you don't need to bother about whether or not you got an F in Math. Take Sir Allen, he has a business brain, left school at 16/17 whatever and became his own boss, no need for qualifications.

But if you're no Allen Sugar or whatever, then you'd just have to do what you can. I wouldn't say you're totally screwed tho.
Reply 14
I'm rubbish at pretty much everything non-academic. If I start getting low grades then I have nothing.
Reply 15
Hello all;

Because I want to do research so I'm surrounded by people doing what I want to do for a living, and I suppose that spurs me on. Also because there's no point in going to university and not working hard. Thousands of people are going to get a degree, it's all about standing out and being the best graduate you can be. So yeah, I suppose employability. Plus I love it, I'm unlikely to ever get a chance just to study again, and it's something I really enjoy...
Because I'm interested in what I'm learning, and don't think there's much point being in uni if you're not going to try your best and aim high :smile:!
Reply 17
Hello all;

Because I love myself.

Gotta look out for No. 1
Reply 18
coz people respect you if you shine in a field or in this case, if you have a first class degree
and i guess you can show off :teehee:

but for real, the hard work will pay off later in life
Reply 19
There have been times when I've wondered why on earth I'm working so hard, and even when I can't answer my own question I still carry on. I suppose there's a part of my subconscious that wouldn't allow me to comfortably live with myself if I hadn't allocated the academic portion of my life the greatest possible effort (within reason).

In the short term, I am motivated by guilt. If I don't work hard, I feel guilty, and if I feel guilty then I find it hard to reward myself.

In the long term, I'm motivated by employment prospects and a sense of achievement. I'm still a student now, and continually motivated by the fact that I can look back on my certificate of first class honours from a top uni and know I can get more than that.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending