The Student Room Group

Honestly - what do you think of my GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

They're average-good, but I have only just realised how useless GCSE's are while applying to uni. You will be fine, just work hard on your A levels.
Original post by 90pies an hour
joke?

average is 5 a-c's so aye they're miles above average

Comparing to average doesn't really tell you anything though.
The average person is a ****ing idiot.
Reply 22
They're way above the National Average, so don't worry about them, they're not so good that they'll gaurantee you a university place (and lets face it, 10 A*'s can't even do that) but they definetly won't be a hinderance in any way. They don't look tht closely at GCSE's either, they'll have a glance and if they're a respectable set, which yours are, you'll be fine. Just focus on getting good A Levels :smile:
They are good imo. :smile:
Reply 24
What's a "GCSE?"
Original post by JoPat94
Okay, I'll keep it simple. I don't like my GCSE grades. Are they respectable? It's been bugging me since August...

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Maths: A
Corse Science: B
Additional Science: A
History: A
French: A
Drama: A
Religious Studies (Full course): A

I want to study English Lit with Creative Writing at either Birmginam, Warwick, Kent, Bristol, or Durham.

Blimey, they're absolutely fine for those universities.
Well done - they are really good. You will be fine. Just focus on your A levels, as those are more important. But with grades like that you should be doing fine!
Reply 27
Original post by JoPat94
Okay, I'll keep it simple. I don't like my GCSE grades. Are they respectable? It's been bugging me since August...

English Language: A
English Literature: A
Maths: A
Corse Science: B
Additional Science: A
History: A
French: A
Drama: A
Religious Studies (Full course): A

I want to study English Lit with Creative Writing at either Birmginam, Warwick, Kent, Bristol, or Durham.

Well, they're not great compared to so many people, but they're not terrible, depends on your previous performances. If you were aiming for B's then well done, if you were aiming for A* then you've done terribly. When it comes to those universities, well you're probably going to get around BBB at A level perhaps depending on which A Levels. Maybe you're going to steep with the likes of Warwick, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol. Have a larger range.

NB= spell Birmingham correctly.
Reply 28
There really good, i got similar :biggrin: Then got AAAb in AS :biggrin:

Although i have NO IDEA why you'd be so stupid to study English at uni, what a waste of money and time :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
GCSE's dont play a massive part on your Uni offers, most will demand good Maths, English and possibly Science grades, but they look at A levels a lot more.
In the grim land of TSR, those grades are nothing, but certaintly a helluva lot better than mine :wink:
Good going, dont worry at all about them anymore.

In TSR they are not worthy of mentioning. In real life, they are great.
Original post by 90pies an hour
joke?

average is 5 a-c's so aye they're miles above average

'Miles above average' is one form of being 'above average', so that's pretty much what I said...
Reply 32
straight a's
Shocking. That's absolutely disgusting. :wink:

Those are similar to my grades tbh, although since I took Standard Grades I can't really compare. But they're good results, you should be proud. Just because TSR is crawling with people with insanely high grades, doesn't mean that above-average grades are still not good enough. :lol: As long as you do well in A-levels I reckon you'll get into a Uni somewhere. Not sure about Durham, because I heard they were total GCSE-Nazi's but you'd probably want to confirm that before you give up on it altogether. :biggrin: Seriously though, they're good grades.
Those results are great!
This is why I hate TSR sometimes.
Reply 36
Durham rejected me - because of my GCSEs I expect... because I had a good p.s., as grades, and predicted grades above their offer... ;( I think they must want A*s
Reply 37
Pretty awful really.
Original post by mrt23498
Well, they're not great compared to so many people, but they're not terrible, depends on your previous performances. If you were aiming for B's then well done, if you were aiming for A* then you've done terribly. When it comes to those universities, well you're probably going to get around BBB at A level perhaps depending on which A Levels. Maybe you're going to steep with the likes of Warwick, Birmingham, Durham, Bristol. Have a larger range.

NB= spell Birmingham correctly.

Since when was getting all A grades at gcse not great? You seem to be the type who looks down on anything below an A* and how on earth can you predict the OP's grades?
Reply 39
Well done they're great grades! TSR can make you feel pretty awful about GCSE's but they rarely reflect your future A level grades.
As mentioned before universities don't really care for GCSE grades, but you are aiming for prestigious universities.
Does Durham definitely do your course? When I researched them they seemed to only do 'traditional' courses so I'd be surprised if they did a creative writing option. Although I'm guessing you've looked into it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest