The Student Room Group

Smoking when pregnant.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ash92:)
really? that's very similar to what the link says in my post above

Honest truth. He's 16 and only 5ft 5, same height as me. He gets the piss taken out of him aswell.
Me and my brothers are not small, one's 6'4, I'm 5'11 and the other one is tall for his age also, none of us have asthma or any other related illness :P
Reply 42
Original post by BambieWambie
Honest truth. He's 16 and only 5ft 5, same height as me. He gets the piss taken out of him aswell.

what, he get's piss taken coz of his height? if yeh, that's stupid - he's not too short for his age
Reply 43
when i think of a pregnant woman smoking cigarettes, i imagine the foetus being smoked, much like a salmon might get smoked

anybody else?
I think it is one of the most selfish, ignorant and irresponsible things you can possibly do.
Pisses me off personally.

My Mum smoked throughout her first 3 children, I'm 5ft 10, my bro is 6ft (with autism) and my sis is 6ft 1 so I doubt it affected our genetics (tall Dad, small Mum :p:)... My sis and I were similar birthweight 5lb odd but my sis was very very thin and fragile whereas I wasn't. My 2 bros were 7lbs +.

My Mum didn't smoke with Joe as I actually encouraged her not to (I was a bossy 11 year old!)....Joe is dyslexic so can't really tell if there has been an effect on us yet.
Reply 46
Im pregnant now and I had to stop smoking when i found out, I always said I'd quit when I was pregnant...but take it from me, just because you know you're pregnant doesn't make it any easier to stop. Similarly, how many asthmatics/COPD patients/cancer patients continue to smoke, when clearly they shouldn't? That's the problem with drugs...they're addictive to everyone.
Reply 47
Original post by MumToBe
Im pregnant now and I had to stop smoking when i found out, I always said I'd quit when I was pregnant...but take it from me, just because you know you're pregnant doesn't make it any easier to stop. Similarly, how many asthmatics/COPD patients/cancer patients continue to smoke, when clearly they shouldn't? That's the problem with drugs...they're addictive to everyone.

Yeah, but the difference with cancer patients etc is 1) they didn't choose to be in that condition and 2) they arn't effecting anyone else by smoking.
Reply 48
I agree it's pretty selfish and irresponsible, but I do think for some reason it seems to get noticed a lot more than other things pregnant people do. Obesity for instance can also cause problems with pregnancy and alleviated risk of stillbirth yet I've never heard anyone say "I saw this really fat, pregnant girl eating a massive pasty and it made me feel really angry". Perhaps that's just because it's hard to tell if obese people are pregnant though :s. Not sure about the effects on the foetus but also things like working in a stressful job until a late stage in pregnancy might have an impact.
Original post by alibobs
I feel that's a pile o' crap
I have heard many many people say I hope this baby isn't too big (it's the pushing it out more than the stretchmarks in general) I have never heard of anyone wishing to smoke or refrain from eating to keep the baby small and avoid stretchmarks. I highly doubt that's the reason people smoke while pregnant

I do actually remember reading in a magazine some time ago about how apparently smoking is popular amongst young pregnant women who are worried and want smaller babies. Haven't got a source to back this up though and I've never met anyone in reality who did this :s-smilie:

On a different note- one of my friend's mum smoked throughout his and his brothers pregnancy and they both suffer from asthma now :frown:
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Yeah, but the difference with cancer patients etc is 1) they didn't choose to be in that condition and 2) they arn't effecting anyone else by smoking.

Untrue, but yes it is their choice alone. However cancer is a direct possible effect of smoking which is something to perhaps expect. The risks are always there.
Reply 51
im amazed at the amount of "my mum smoked when preggers and i only have dyslexia/asthma/shortness etc but i doubt that was due to smoking" im pretty sure these are the effets from a mother smoking when preggers
Original post by Ronda

Original post by Ronda
My mum smoked through mine and my 5 siblings pregnancies and there's nothing wrong with us :s-smilie: We are all quite small though, but maybe that's due to my mum being 5'2 and my dad 5'3 :rolleyes: It's not that I'm saying it's right or anything but what actually are the side effects supposed to be anyways?

I'm sure this is just some of them:
IUGR- Intrauterine Growth Restriction (Child doesn’t grow at a proper rate in the uterus leading to low birth weight)
Miscarriage
Stillbirth

After birth, child may develop problems such as:
Asthma
Chest infections
Glue ear (Middle ear fills up with a glue like fluid instead of air, causing dull hearing)
Sudden infant death syndrome (also known as cot death; unexplained death of infant)
Reply 53
Original post by f00ddude
im amazed at the amount of "my mum smoked when preggers and i only have dyslexia/asthma/shortness etc but i doubt that was due to smoking" im pretty sure these are the effets from a mother smoking when preggers

It's just probabilities though. My mum didn't smoke when she was pregnant (or ever) and I'm still on the short(ish) side and my sister suffers from asthma.

If you smoke when your pregnant you're more likely to be working class, have a poor diet, worse living conditions etc. so it's very difficult to establish a direct causal link between smoking and any condition: once you consider all the other variables the effect of smoking is probably small.

I am not condoning smoking while pregnant (or smoking ever really), but it's not as simple as your post implies.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think that people who smoke whilst pregnant are extremely selfish and honestly it would make me question what kind of mothers they will end up being, considering the fact that they can't even put their child first for 9 months.
Original post by Jenii
I agree it's pretty selfish and irresponsible, but I do think for some reason it seems to get noticed a lot more than other things pregnant people do. Obesity for instance can also cause problems with pregnancy and alleviated risk of stillbirth yet I've never heard anyone say "I saw this really fat, pregnant girl eating a massive pasty and it made me feel really angry". Perhaps that's just because it's hard to tell if obese people are pregnant though :s. Not sure about the effects on the foetus but also things like working in a stressful job until a late stage in pregnancy might have an impact.

It's a little different though isn't it, because a fat person was already fat before becoming pregnant, but they can't just suddenly STOP being fat when they get pregnant. You can't become un-fat overnight.

Besides, if they're really really fat how would you know if they're pregnant? It would be hard to tell one would presume.

You can, however, stop smoking overnight. Somebody wanting to lose a large amount of weight though, well not only would it take time, but it's also recommended not to attempt to lose large amounts of weight when you're pregnant. Somebody choosing to carry on smoking though, well that's a choice, a very selfish choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I think that people who smoke whilst pregnant are extremely selfish and honestly it would make me question what kind of mothers they will end up being, considering the fact that they can't even put their child first for 9 months.

My mum's a great mother, thanks for your concern.
Original post by DesignFreak
My mum's a great mother, thanks for your concern.

Perhaps so, but she still acted selfishly when you were inside her womb.

I never said all mothers who smoke whilst pregnant DO turn out to be terrible mothers anyway, I said I would QUESTION what kind of mother they are going to be. I still stand by this. I think it's a very selfish way to start things off.
Reply 58
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

It has no bearing on their mothering skills. The people I knwo who smoked while pregnant are all good mothers. It does bewilder me a bit when people won't smoke around their kids. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing but it seems a bit weird when the whole time they were growing inside them the only oxygen supply they were receiving was contaminated with smoke because they smoked while pregnant but the idea of smoking around them when the child is born is a no no. Strange!
Reply 59
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Haha, yeah I know. Hearing that it results in smaller babies? I thought it was just common knowledge...but heres a source if its helps.

noooooo lol I know it results in smaller babies, I meant hearing that people do it to *have* a smaller baby!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending