The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by heartinacage
thank you soo much for this lifesave!! im retaking after getting 1 mark of an A ( yes i am very pissed off) just wondering if you have the part b questions for the june 2010 one and also maybe the 2007, 08 questions for gatsby? thank you!

This exam has only been around since 2009.

The part B questions were:

Jan 2009: Titles / Key Events
June 2009: Characters / Time
Jan 2010: Moments of Crisis / Repetition
June 2010: Endings / Narrators
Reply 21
Original post by Mizikei

Original post by Mizikei
This exam has only been around since 2009.

The part B questions were:

Jan 2009: Titles / Key Events
June 2009: Characters / Time
Jan 2010: Moments of Crisis / Repetition
June 2010: Endings / Narrators

I think I might cry if the part b question is about time, or worse, narrative voice.

I'm doing The Kite Runner, Digging to America (random, I know), Rossetti and Auden.

ALSO: Found this thread, fairly useful written http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873067&page=4

How are you all revising?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
I'm resitting too, I got a C in the June exam after being predicted an A.

I'm studying The Kite Runner, Digging to America, Auden and Rossetti.

I have no idea what went wrong last time, though I feel like I wasn't specific enough and didn't quote the texts enough.

What are you studying?
Reply 23
Original post by Popat21
I'm resitting too, I got a C in the June exam after being predicted an A.

I'm studying The Kite Runner, Digging to America, Auden and Rossetti.

I have no idea what went wrong last time, though I feel like I wasn't specific enough and didn't quote the texts enough.

What are you studying?

I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Auden & Rossetti. Our teacher didn't really go over the A0s very much so my whole class came out pretty poorly! and I don't like AQA as an exam board very much tbh! How are you finding revising? I'm finding it difficult to just sit down and get on with it :| You gotta any good websites for Auden? He's a particually weak spot of mine right now!
Reply 24
Original post by esachica

I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, Auden & Rossetti. Our teacher didn't really go over the A0s very much so my whole class came out pretty poorly! and I don't like AQA as an exam board very much tbh! How are you finding revising? I'm finding it difficult to just sit down and get on with it :| You gotta any good websites for Auden? He's a particually weak spot of mine right now!

Ah, so we're doing 3/4 texts the same! Yeah, our whole college didn't do too great but we sent papers back and the grades went down! :frown: It's really hard to concentrate on this cause I'm feeling bitter about having to retake :/ I have no websites on Auden but I love his work so I could help you! What poems are you doing?
Reply 25
Re-sit as well - I got an E :frown: Our college is still launching an 'enquiry' into it and some people's changed, but AQA's not going to admit it's made a major cock-up with the marking, so just got to focus on the re-sit.
I'm doing Hardy's poems, Rossetti's poems, The Kite Runner and Dubliners.
I've only recently finished re-reading the texts and making notes, so now it's just regular testing with cue cards. Try and fit a couple of practice essays in there at some point.
How are you revising The Kite Runner? :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by SOA Vamp

Re-sit as well - I got an E :frown: Our college is still launching an 'enquiry' into it and some people's changed, but AQA's not going to admit it's made a major cock-up with the marking, so just got to focus on the re-sit.
I've only recently finished re-reading the texts and making notes, so now it's just regular testing with cue cards. Try and fit a couple of practice essays in there at some point.

Made notecards for every chapter with the aspects of narrative on them, trying to remember those! In the process of writing practice essays for them. How are you revising?
Reply 27
Original post by Popat21
Made notecards for every chapter with the aspects of narrative on them, trying to remember those! In the process of writing practice essays for them. How are you revising?

I might try that :smile:
I have cue cards for each of the poems, and then general themes for the novels. I also have logs for Section B texts with a section for setting, narrative, use of voice, etc. Will try and get an essay or two done as I'm probably out of practice :s-smilie:
Reply 28

Sounds identical to my schools situation! They failed us ALL for the exam and because we all had A/B coursework, the majority of us ended up with D/E grades. Now I wouldn't say any of us are A* but we did NOT deserve those grades. Not gonna lie, I think AQA screwed up big time this year! But eh, too late to do anything so on with the resit! Only just picked up the Kite Runner today actually. We did The Great Gatsby in detail so that'll be my main text with Kite Runner & the poems used for section B. But yeah, at the moment just rereading D: I'm not really sure HOW to study it apart from go over themes and structure. For you, if you're using it as a main text, you know one of the questions is chapter related so look at the chapters which HAVEN'T been used as a question and study those in particular? :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Popat21
Ah, so we're doing 3/4 texts the same! Yeah, our whole college didn't do too great but we sent papers back and the grades went down! :frown: It's really hard to concentrate on this cause I'm feeling bitter about having to retake :/ I have no websites on Auden but I love his work so I could help you! What poems are you doing?

So we are! Quite a lot of people are doing Hardy :s-smilie:
I found this website to be VERY useful for Rossetti - http://www.crossref-it.info/textguide/The-poetry-of-Christina-Rossetti/28/1840 - but yeah, it's just Auden I couldn't find much on. I know we're doing; As I walked out one evening, September 1st, Funeral Blues and O what is that sound.
Reply 30

So we are! Quite a lot of people are doing Hardy :s-smilie:
I found this website to be VERY useful for Rossetti - http://www.crossref-it.info/textguide/The-poetry-of-Christina-Rossetti/28/1840 - but yeah, it's just Auden I couldn't find much on. I know we're doing; As I walked out one evening, September 1st, Funeral Blues and O what is that sound.

September 1st is my absolute favourite Auden poem: I talk a lot about the context and Auden's message of war is bad and link it to O what is that sound because I see it as a poem talking about war seeming good far away but when it gets closer it's bad. I don't have any websites to share, I'm just using teacher advice :/ but thanks for the Rossetti site

AQA marking was horrific this summer; my friend went up 9 marks in history and I know someone who went up 16 marks in a Year 13 politics remark (cost him his university place though)
Reply 31

I might try that :smile:
I have cue cards for each of the poems, and then general themes for the novels. I also have logs for Section B texts with a section for setting, narrative, use of voice, etc. Will try and get an essay or two done as I'm probably out of practice :s-smilie:

Logs on Section B texts sounds like a pretty good idea, think I'll try it myself :smile:
Reply 32
guys how do you start a thread
Reply 33
I'm sitting this too as a resit (sigh). I was predicted an A but got an E in the exam, like many of you here...
I'm doing WW1 literature. I really loved the topic and hopefully I'll get the grade I want this time! Good luck everyone.
Reply 34
Original post by Popat21
September 1st is my absolute favourite Auden poem: I talk a lot about the context and Auden's message of war is bad and link it to O what is that sound because I see it as a poem talking about war seeming good far away but when it gets closer it's bad. I don't have any websites to share, I'm just using teacher advice :/ but thanks for the Rossetti site

AQA marking was horrific this summer; my friend went up 9 marks in history and I know someone who went up 16 marks in a Year 13 politics remark (cost him his university place though)

Ooh thank you! Think I'm going to have to buckle down after Christmas because at the moment I am FAR too lazy.

Ahh ouch! If AQA cost me my uni place I won't be happy >:| Do you know what texts your doing for A2? I just know we're doing Brideshead Revisited. The questions generally for A2 look awful! Definitely a bit worried.
Reply 35
Original post by ryannn
I'm sitting this too as a resit (sigh). I was predicted an A but got an E in the exam, like many of you here...
I'm doing WW1 literature. I really loved the topic and hopefully I'll get the grade I want this time! Good luck everyone.

Ohh are you doing English Literature A? I think we're all doing B XD But good luck! I'm sure you'll get the grades you want :smile:
Reply 36

Ooh thank you! Think I'm going to have to buckle down after Christmas because at the moment I am FAR too lazy.

Ahh ouch! If AQA cost me my uni place I won't be happy >:| Do you know what texts your doing for A2? I just know we're doing Brideshead Revisited. The questions generally for A2 look awful! Definitely a bit worried.

Yeah, I've gotten pretty lazy and 'can't be bothered' about this exam!

I completely agree! We're doing elements of gothic so we're studying Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein. I prefer A2 to AS as AS is pretty restricted question wise and A2 is more thematic :biggrin:
AQA are douches. I asked for the photocopy of my paper back and the original examiner gave me 52. It looked as if my paper was one of those that got marked internally by the senior examiner because the 52 was crossed out and I got a new mark of 68. I got 159 UMS so I'm retaking to get some more UMS in case they are needed come August.
Reply 38
Ohh are you doing English Literature A? I think we're all doing B XD But good luck! I'm sure you'll get the grades you want :smile:

I thought it was B :eek: Ugh, I dunno. But it seems a lot of us are having the same problem with marking anyway, so I hope you all get the grades you deserve. It worries me that it could cost me a university place in the end :frown: I'm even more desperate to go this year too because of the rise in tuition fees next year
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by yahyahyahs

Original post by yahyahyahs
AQA are douches. I asked for the photocopy of my paper back and the original examiner gave me 52. It looked as if my paper was one of those that got marked internally by the senior examiner because the 52 was crossed out and I got a new mark of 68. I got 159 UMS so I'm retaking to get some more UMS in case they are needed come August.

AQA ARE douches.

Also, you're applying to do Politics! SO AM I! University of Birmingham offered me a place a couple of days ago too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending