The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Neuroscience at UCL

I can't find a thread already on this topic area but if I've missed one do let me know :smile:

So who else has a place/has applied?

I also had a question about doing work experience - UCL said that you could do your industrial placement at a UCL research institution or that alternatively, you could do it somewhere else. But I'm not sure where this fits in with the degree programme - which year, or for how long, etc. Can someone please explain this to me?
Reply 1
O man its a great course, but be prepared to be burned alive in first year, we are getting skinned here
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by logic123
O man its a great course, but be prepared to be burned alive in first year, we are getting skinned here

Really? Is it to do with the workload, or something else?
Reply 3
Original post by Scientific Calculator
Really? Is it to do with the workload, or something else?

Workload in first term of first year is crazy. As is the workload in second term of second year apparently which is what im about to go into. Fun times ahead eh!

As for your question, you can apply for a research placement in the summer of year 2, then you do a research placement as part of the course in year three alongside your lectures.

Congrats on the offer btw!
Original post by Liar
Workload in first term of first year is crazy. As is the workload in second term of second year apparently which is what im about to go into. Fun times ahead eh!

As for your question, you can apply for a research placement in the summer of year 2, then you do a research placement as part of the course in year three alongside your lectures.

Congrats on the offer btw!

Thank you for the congratulations! I apply for a research placement at the beginning of the second year, I presume? The thing is, I'm really adamant to do a research placement abroad and would love to try for America, since Neuroscience is huge there. I want the experience of another country, even though I can appreciate this would be really expensive for a student.
Reply 5
**** off! First year first term was a piece of piss. 2nd term, when you have to direct your own learning is the slightly more difficult one.

Good luck though, you're going to love it.
Reply 6
The mute me and you should really meet up, your attitude pisses me off : D
Reply 7
Original post by Scientific Calculator
Thank you for the congratulations! I apply for a research placement at the beginning of the second year, I presume? The thing is, I'm really adamant to do a research placement abroad and would love to try for America, since Neuroscience is huge there. I want the experience of another country, even though I can appreciate this would be really expensive for a student.

You apply mid way through second year. You can apply to america, think you'd need a very good result in first year to stand a chance though? You can apply for funding for living expenses (about £160 a week i think?) from research charities such as the welcome trust or nuffield foundation but they're very competitive.

And I guess it depends what modules you choose and whether they're in first or second term, as well as what subjects you personally find easier. First term has chemistry, pharmacology and a second year course on the nervous system, three subjects I found much more difficult than the physiology and genetics in second term which was just memorisation imo. As well as the weekly labs and practical write ups in first term. However, if you choose full chemistry rather than the half course, second term will contain more work that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending