The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by M1F2R3
Neither, my cousin is training to be a surgeon.

Nobody has actually addressed my points... all people have done is facepalm. Who bases a decision to pick x medical school purely on employment prospects? Everybody is slating off Cambridge saying "it has the worst employment prospect", yes it is tied with the likes of Nottingham and Warwick. Overall, Cambridge is ranked second behind Oxford this year... nobody is looking at the bigger picture. The thread is about which medical school is the best, in my original post I clearly said the "best" applies to various areas such as graduate prospects [of which Cambridge is usually the best if you look at statistics] but this year it isn't the best

All people do is facepalm is because you're a bloody idiot.

You are ignoring absolutely everything everybody is saying. THE RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER AT ALL - none of them. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The best medical school is personal. IT DOESN'T MATTER ABOUT THE RANKINGS.

You are the epitome of why random people who have no idea who they are talking about should stop coming into the medicine forum and giving advice to applicants. What is worse is that you're trying to defend it.

Stop posting.
Reply 61
Original post by M1F2R3
Nobody has actually addressed my points... all people have done is facepalm. Who bases a decision to pick x medical school purely on employment prospects? Everybody is slating off Cambridge saying "it has the worst employment prospect", yes it is tied with the likes of Nottingham and Warwick. Overall, Cambridge is ranked second behind Oxford this year... nobody is looking at the bigger picture. The thread is about which medical school is the best, in my original post I clearly said the "best" applies to various areas such as graduate prospects [of which Cambridge is usually the best if you look at statistics] but this year it isn't the best

People have been facepalming because of your arguments "which are wrong) and who you decide to lecture about medicine - you do realise that at one point you were arguing with an SHO working in London right?

Anybody who knows anything about medicine will know that it doesn't matter which medical school you attend regards job prospects - it's getting GMC registration that counts, all UK medical schools grant GMC registration - and that's all they count for. The things that get you jobs are intercalated degrees, finishing in a certain quartile, writing/contributing to scientific articles, performing audits and so on, also good creative writing skills can come in handy.

Cambridge has as gooder employment prospects as Oxford, Dundee, UCL, Cardiff or Barts. Statistically it's slightly less than some (which are 100%) but if one person in a year decides to leave medicine, or maybe the other is waiting to start a Phd then it will be 98% - providing they pass, they should get a foundation post - and the posts they get won't have anything to do with the university (which is blanked on applications to foundation posts).

Cambridge medical school wouldn't be my first choice, neither would Oxford. I picked my medical schools on personal preference; the course, the city and so on. It suits some medics and not others, but attending it has no bearing on job prospects.
Reply 62
Original post by Beska

You are ignoring absolutely everything everybody is saying. THE RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER AT ALL - none of them. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The best medical school is personal. IT DOESN'T MATTER ABOUT THE RANKINGS.

You are the epitome of why random people who have no idea who they are talking about should stop coming into the medicine forum and giving advice to applicants. What is worse is that you're trying to defend it.

Stop posting.

You're a hypocrite. Why quote the rankings if they don't matter "at all"? No doubt you won't answer that or come up with "because you said Cambridge was the best", if you look at the statistics then yes, Cambridge is usually the best in the UK for employment prospects...

Read the QS rankings for the last 5 years :yy:
Is there any need for caps btw :rollseyes:?
Reply 63
Original post by Beska
When you're trying to decide on a medical school (or narrow down choices), there are lots of things to consider. The main one is obviously the course structure, the location, the accommodation, the city, etc. but the prestige of the medical school is not something that you need to consider, at all. The consensus is that it makes no difference on what job you get at all. As has been said, all medical schools are GMC accredited which means when you graduate, you're a doctor. The only difference is the way they teach.

If you're a independent self-learner who doesn't like lectures, Oxbridge will be the worst medical school while somewhere like Manchester will be the best, for example.

Well, that's unless if you plan to work abroad, in which case prestige can have a considerable impact.
Reply 64
Original post by M1F2R3
You're a hypocrite. Why quote the rankings if they don't matter "at all"? No doubt you won't answer that or come up with "because you said Cambridge was the best", if you look at the statistics then yes, Cambridge is usually the best in the UK for employment prospects...

Read the QS rankings for the last 5 years :yy:
Is there any need for caps btw :rollseyes:?

Apparently there is a need for me to capitalise things because still, you don't understand. What is wrong with you?

I didn't quote the rankings, I discredited your (granted, already ****) argument by saying that Cambridge don't have the best graduate employment like you said they did. It is blatantly obviously that you just pulled one of Oxbridge out of your ass and said it was the best.

There is no "best" medical school. The fact you're trying to argue that Cambridge is the best by quoting rankings then that proves, beyond all doubt, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 65
Original post by gildartz
Well, that's unless if you plan to work abroad, in which case prestige can have a considerable impact.

True. :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Beska

Stop posting.

Why do people do this? I don't give people advice about law schools, or investment banking - because I don't have a ****ing clue. Why do minsformed people feel the need to spew out crap to questions that have an easy, and to any reasonably well-informed person - obvious, answer.
Reply 67
Original post by Organ
People have been facepalming because of your arguments "which are wrong) and who you decide to lecture about medicine - you do realise that at one point you were arguing with an SHO working in London right?

Anybody who knows anything about medicine will know that it doesn't matter which medical school you attend regards job prospects - it's getting GMC registration that counts, all UK medical schools grant GMC registration - and that's all they count for. The things that get you jobs are intercalated degrees, finishing in a certain quartile, writing/contributing to scientific articles, performing audits and so on, also good creative writing skills can come in handy.

Cambridge has as gooder employment prospects as Oxford, Dundee, UCL, Cardiff or Barts. Statistically it's slightly less than some (which are 100%) but if one person in a year decides to leave medicine, or maybe the other is waiting to start a Phd then it will be 98% - providing they pass, they should get a foundation post - and the posts they get won't have anything to do with the university (which is blanked on applications to foundation posts).

Cambridge medical school wouldn't be my first choice, neither would Oxford. I picked my medical schools on personal preference; the course, the city and so on. It suits some medics and not others, but attending it has no bearing on job prospects.

Jesus Christ, have you read my first post where I mentioned teaching quality and other aspects of "what makes a medical school good?". Why would anybody pick a Uni based purely on a league table? They wouldn't. I simply said Cambridge usually has the best employment prospects and everybody is slating it off based upon one the Guardian's 2011 league table... without looking at previous statistics.
Reply 68
Original post by Organ
Why do people do this? I don't give people advice about law schools, or investment banking - because I don't have a ****ing clue. Why do minsformed people feel the need to spew out crap to questions that have an easy, and to any reasonably well-informed person - obvious, answer.

It's funny because he's arguing, still, that he's right and the rest of the medicine forum is wrong. :mmm:

I mean, he does know somebody that is training to be a doctor. That must count for something, right?

Original post by M1F2R3
Jesus Christ, have you read my first post where I mentioned teaching quality and other aspects of "what makes a medical school good?". Why would anybody pick a Uni based purely on a league table? They wouldn't. I simply said Cambridge usually has the best employment prospects and everybody is slating it off based upon one the Guardian's 2011 league table... without looking at previous statistics.

Do you know what the straw man fallacy is bro?
Reply 69
Original post by gildartz

To be honest, haveing a British medical degree is more than likely enough. There's a reason why people pay £28K per year to do medicine here. People from Islamabad and Lagos medical school practice in the UK, USA, Dubai, Australia.
Reply 70
Original post by Beska
Apparently there is a need for me to capitalise things because still, you don't understand. What is wrong with you?

I didn't quote the rankings, I discredited your (granted, already ****) argument by saying that Cambridge don't have the best graduate employment like you said they did. It is blatantly obviously that you just pulled one of Oxbridge out of your ass and said it was the best.

There is no "best" medical school. The fact you're trying to argue that Cambridge is the best by quoting rankings then that proves, beyond all doubt, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You quoted the rankings you idiot "The Guardian has Cambridge at 98%, which as I said, is the lowest % employment for graduates.

My point is that using % employment as a measure of success for medical school is stupid
"

No, Cambridge doesn't have the best employment this year but based on stats from the last 10 years it does on average.
Reply 71
Original post by M1F2R3
You quoted the rankings you idiot "The Guardian has Cambridge at 98%, which as I said, is the lowest % employment for graduates.

My point is that using % employment as a measure of success for medical school is stupid
"

No, Cambridge doesn't have the best employment this year but based on stats from the last 10 years it does on average.

I take that as no, you don't know what the straw man fallacy is.

I also said "My point is that using % employment as a measure of success for medical school is stupid."

Why do you think Cambridge having a high % employment makes it a good medical school? Does it mean it's easier to get an F1 placement when applying through MTAS?
Reply 72
Original post by M1F2R3

The employment statistic refers to the percent of graduates employed in a foundation year one post.

Applications to foundation year one posts are done via a national system, the medical school you attended is blanked when these posts are allocated. The person doing the deciding on who gets what post cannot see the medical school.

Medicine isn't like History, or Spanish or something like that. The taxpayer is funding each medical student's education to the tune of £200,000 - £250,000 - the government is determined that every medical grad gets a job, so this isn't simply money down the drain. I don't understand why you think you know more than somebody like Renal who has graduated and is currently a doctor.....

the one that lets you become a doctor...

oh wait...they all do....

that must mean....OMG!....THEY ARE ALL EQUAL
Original post by Beska
I take that as no, you don't know what the straw man fallacy is.

I also said "My point is that using % employment as a measure of success for medical school is stupid."

Why do you think Cambridge having a high % employment makes it a good medical school? Does it mean it's easier to get an F1 placement when applying through MTAS?

Reply 75
Original post by Beska
It's funny because he's arguing, still, that he's right and the rest of the medicine forum is wrong. :mmm:

I mean, he does know somebody that is training to be a doctor. That must count for something, right?

Do you know what the straw man fallacy is bro?

There is no right or wrong answer :facepalm2:...

My cousin is actually a doctor... he is training to be a surgeon, do you not know the difference?
Reply 76
Original post by Organ
To be honest, haveing a British medical degree is more than likely enough. There's a reason why people pay £28K per year to do medicine here. People from Islamabad and Lagos medical school practice in the UK, USA, Dubai, Australia.

That's true, but to the uninformed, hearing that a doctor has a British medical degree from Oxbridge may make them more inclined to visit that doctor than the one down the road with a degree from another less-known British uni. More often than not, just having a British degree will be enough but there are times when prestige can help.

Original post by M1F2R3

"

Well, he wasn't quoting a ranking, he was quoting a statistic, two different things.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by ryan118244
True, however statistics that are used for this are very dated, even the ones from 6 years ago, because there use to be a huge difference in entry requirements for med schools and oxbridge did have the highest and so you could infer that they were most likely to get the best graded studnets and possibly they be the most intelligent and thus have the potential to do the best in graduate exams, because at the end of the day the entry requirements use to severly reflect the exam results and thus 1st prefernece.

However with entry requirements being so high now, the same as oxbridge, someone who may be able to get into oxbridge may not be able to get into birmingham now because they have 7A* cut off for GCSE, or sheffiled who only look at the top 10% for UKCAt, my point being oxbridge no longer have those with the highest academics and i dont think they will now get any better results really than any other medical school .

Btw the way im not slating oxbridge at all, i actually like oxford haha, but i just wanted to make this point, because so many people assume oxbridge is the best and has the highest entry requirements and that there students do the best haha.

This is not true for the foundation programme statistics. They are recent.
Reply 78
Original post by M1F2R3

"

I really dont wnat to get into this argument, but over the last 10 years ALL the medical schools have had 98% to 100% graduate employment for medicine, i dont think anyone of the medical schools has a higher grad employment than the other, they are all the same.
Reply 79
Original post by ryan118244
I really dont wnat to get into this argument, but over the last 10 years ALL the medical schools have had 98% to 100% graduate employment for medicine, i dont think anyone of the medical schools has a higher grad employment than the other, they are all the same.

Yeh that's completely true, he's just stupid. :mmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending