The Student Room Group

Best Chemistry University in UK?

Anyone know know or has been or is in a chemistry university in UK?
I want to know what your experience is and what you would recommend in the UK?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dontlookhere
Well if you look in the league tables itll tell you Oxford or Cambridge.

But in reality, just think about Aberdeen - the oil capital of Europe and 95% graduate employment in chemistry... enough said

But you have to ask yourself, for how long? Eventually those oil jobs will disappear when oil starts to run out...
Reply 2
Original post by Chemist548
But you have to ask yourself, for how long? Eventually those oil jobs will disappear when oil starts to run out...

Presumably a few more years at least, which should be enough for the OP. :p:
Reply 3
Original post by BJack
Presumably a few more years at least, which should be enough for the OP. :p:

Typical career length = 40 years? I bet the jobs and oil will start drying up in less than half that time.
Reply 4
Typical career length = 40 years? I bet the jobs and oil will start drying up in less than half that time.

I was thinking about it in terms of getting a good degree, but I see what you mean now. :yy:
Original post by dontlookhere
But in reality, just think about Aberdeen - the oil capital of Europe and 95% graduate employment in chemistry... enough said

Yes but that figure is quite ambiguous: how many of these graduates are employed within the oil & gas industry? For all we know, a large amount could simply be getting general management graduate jobs. Chemistry isn't typically a degree which is sought after within the oil & gas industry. The most sought after ones are engineering (mechanical, chemical and electrical, although there is some work for civils too), geology/geophysics, and management/finance type stuff. I highly doubt that all of these graduates are getting roles within the oil & gas industry...

Possibly the North Sea might have dried up in 40 years time, but both the Aberdeen universities, as well as some other Scottish ones (Heriot Watt and Strathclyde, and maybe Dundee too) have established themselves within the industry as leading producers of graduates. Aberdeen (they city, not just the university) act as a recruitment ground for jobs within the industry, even when these jobs are mainly based in West Africa, the Middle East, etc. The oil could run out tomorrow but a lot of the jobs would still be based in Aberdeen for a very, very long time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending