The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Organ
People have been facepalming because of your arguments "which are wrong) and who you decide to lecture about medicine - you do realise that at one point you were arguing with an SHO working in London right?

Anybody who knows anything about medicine will know that it doesn't matter which medical school you attend regards job prospects - it's getting GMC registration that counts, all UK medical schools grant GMC registration - and that's all they count for. The things that get you jobs are intercalated degrees, finishing in a certain quartile, writing/contributing to scientific articles, performing audits and so on, also good creative writing skills can come in handy.

Cambridge has as gooder employment prospects as Oxford, Dundee, UCL, Cardiff or Barts. Statistically it's slightly less than some (which are 100%) but if one person in a year decides to leave medicine, or maybe the other is waiting to start a Phd then it will be 98% - providing they pass, they should get a foundation post - and the posts they get won't have anything to do with the university (which is blanked on applications to foundation posts).

Cambridge medical school wouldn't be my first choice, neither would Oxford. I picked my medical schools on personal preference; the course, the city and so on. It suits some medics and not others, but attending it has no bearing on job prospects.

Why do creative writing skills come in handy? :confused:

Sorry if it's blindingly obvious :colondollar:
Reply 101
Original post by Le Masquerador.

When you're applying for your F1 positions (so, your first doctor job) there's a lot of white space questions where you basically have to write about certain topics in limited space. Some kind of creative writing ability will mean your writing is interesting, grabs attention etc. etc. so might make it easier to get your point across, thus score higher marks. :smile: At least, I think that's what he's referring too.
Reply 102
Original post by M1F2R3
OP, the best medical school is Cambridge :sexface:

My sources say otherwise!

But there are also three other rankings which says cambridge isnt!

http://whichuniversitybest.blogspot....n-uk-2009.html
(I love this one, clearly dundee is by far the most superior!)

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

http://tables.thecompleteuniversityg...ted_table=medi

Also I noticed if you look at the rankings in general i find it amazing that actually half the med schools have higher marks in EVERY area than cambridge (Look at St Andrews, from my point of view it seems to do better so why isnt it ranked higher?), so why arent they ranked higher, most likely because cambridge is one of the oldest and will remain in the top 2 because of its status, NOT because its better!

I think i might drop out and apply to dundee because its the best medical school in england! Afterall, the rankings are always so true :wink:
Cardiff is amazing... 'nuff said. There are lots of reasons why Cardiff doesn't look great in the rankings, I won't go into them but I can do if anyone's interested... We get above average score on MTAS forms, above average in post-graduate medical exams etc. In all honesty though, the best medical school is the best one for you in terms of the course structure, the city's environment, cost of living, the university as a whole... There is no 'worst' medical school and no 'best' medical school when objectively looking at things. It's your personal subjective opinion that matters.
Original post by Beska
When you're applying for your F1 positions (so, your first doctor job) there's a lot of white space questions where you basically have to write about certain topics in limited space. Some kind of creative writing ability will mean your writing is interesting, grabs attention etc. etc. so might make it easier to get your point across, thus score higher marks. :smile: At least, I think that's what he's referring too.

Oh, I see. Thanks you! :smile:
Reply 105
He's just rollin' with the punches and is now going to pretend that he was trolling all along because we've all ripped his argument to shreds. Stay classy, Rick.
Reply 106
Original post by ryan118244
My sources say otherwise!

But there are also three other rankings which says cambridge isnt!

http://whichuniversitybest.blogspot....n-uk-2009.html
(I love this one, clearly dundee is by far the most superior!)

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

http://tables.thecompleteuniversityg...ted_table=medi

Also I noticed if you look at the rankings in general i find it amazing that actually half the med schools have higher marks in EVERY area than cambridge (Look at St Andrews, from my point of view it seems to do better so why isnt it ranked higher?), so why arent they ranked higher, most likely because cambridge is one of the oldest and will remain in the top 2 because of its status, NOT because its better!

I think i might drop out and apply to dundee because its the best medical school in england! Afterall, the rankings are always so true :wink:

Bad move, bro. Drop out and go to Cambridge.
Reply 107
Original post by Beska
He's just rollin' with the punches and is now going to pretend that he was trolling all along because we've all ripped his argument to shreds. Stay classy, Rick.

Just picking up the posts :teehee:

I wasn't trolling, no.
Reply 108
Original post by diamondsky99
Cardiff is amazing... 'nuff said. There are lots of reasons why Cardiff doesn't look great in the rankings, I won't go into them but I can do if anyone's interested... We get above average score on MTAS forms, above average in post-graduate medical exams etc. In all honesty though, the best medical school is the best one for you in terms of the course structure, the city's environment, cost of living, the university as a whole... There is no 'worst' medical school and no 'best' medical school when objectively looking at things. It's your personal subjective opinion that matters.

What are the reasons out of interest?
Reply 109
Original post by Le Masquerador.

What Beska said :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by diamondsky99

She knows it.

Latest

Trending

Trending