The Student Room Group

Age gap between siblings

I come from a large family. I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. I turn 18 in may and I am the eldest. My youngest sibling was born this feb, which means that there's an age gap of 17/18 years between us.

My parents are only 19 years older than myself which got my thinking about the age gap between me and my brother. When he's my age I will almost be as old as my parents are now which is quite a scary thing. This got me thinking about what our relationship would be like. And I would love to hear what yours are like.

What sort of age gap is there between you and your siblings? Are you the youngest? Is there more that 18 years between you? Whats your story?

Is there anyone who has been in my situation and would like to tell me how it panned out for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, your family is massive! You're old enough for your siblings to be your kids!

There's only 15 months between me and my sister, but it's too close an age gap, in my opinion.
Reply 2
Mine is 16 years, between my big sister and my little brother.
Reply 3
im the oldest, currently 17
my younger sister is currently 15 and my brother; 11 (almost 12)
Reply 4
Me and my brother are 2 years apart (he's older), he's always been protective and we ALWAYS wind each other up, but we're really good friends as well, we used to play with our toys together and now we go out to town together..
Reply 5
Less than 11 months between me and my younger sister.

The difference between my age and my Mam's age is exactly the same as the difference between hers and her Mam's.
Reply 6
Original post by kat2pult
Wow, your family is massive! You're old enough for your siblings to be your kids!

There's only 15 months between me and my sister, but it's too close an age gap, in my opinion.

3 minutes for me and my bro :sigh:
Reply 7
My sister is two years two months younger than me. Anything over five years would feel a bit weird to me

(why the neg rep?! I said TO ME, I'm not judging anyone else, I'm just used to having a sister near my age?)
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm the youngest, I've got 5 siblings, the oldest being 25 years older than me. Yep my parents are old :tongue:
I'm 4 years older than my brother, which seems to work because we get on really well!
I have a half sister who's 18 years older than me, and she's like absolutely loaded
My brother's only 4 and a half years younger though
Reply 11
I am 25 my sister is 7 :smile:

Its weird because at times I feel like a second dad to her, it is hard to imagine life without her even though I lived for 18 years before she came along.
Reply 12
I've got a brother 2 years younger and a sister 11 years younger, I'm 18. I've found that although you obv don't have as much in common as siblings closer to your age, you get in less arguments with those who are a lot older/younger, so your relationship might be better in some respects. Just an observation tho, might not happen in all cases.
Reply 13
I'm the oldest (18), youngest brother is 9
Reply 14
There is a six years age gap between me and my brother. I'm eighteen and he's twelve. And my youngest brother is eleven. :smile:
Original post by hannah.austin
I'm the youngest, I've got 5 siblings, the oldest being 25 years older than me. Yep my parents are old :tongue:

Wow. Do people ever confuse your oldest sibling for your parent?
My dad's 49/50 years older than me so I think we're in a similar boat! :tongue:

I only have one sister and she's 4 years old than me. We get along just fine now, so I think the age gap is good! We did used to fight a lot when she started secondary school and I was only 7 or 8, but it evened out when I got older and had to get the bus to school with her. :smile:
At 18 years old, I'm the youngest of the family, with an age gap of 18 years between me and my step sister.
Reply 17
OP, did you turn 18 the may just gone or turning 18 next may?

I am the youngest. Have 3 sisters, one bro. 17 yrs between me n oldest sis, 16 between me n next sis. 7 between me n bro annnnnd 4 years 4 months and 4 days between me and my other sis
I get on ok with my siblings closest to me but barely ever see or speak to the other 2. I can count on one hand the no of times I have seen the oldest one actually. Then again, the ones closest to me I have grown up with, we lived in the same house and all that, I didn't have that with the others. My mum doesn't think the gap between me and my sis was a good one, my sis took it hard that I got all the attention etc now and I think I have heard (although no idea of the source) that 4 is the worst age to gain a sibling. Having said that, my niece was 4 and seems to take it very well, so who knows
I have three elder siblings, with me being the youngest. The oldest is eight years older than me.

I'd actually love to have a younger brother or sister though, I pretty much dislike being the youngest.
My brother is 18 months older than me which has worked out well because we are a school year apart, but have grown up together, have matured at same kind of rate! I want my children (when I have them) to be the same kinda age gap apart!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending