The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Possible Dark Tower film(s)? Wonder how they are going to do adapt the books. Viggo Mortensen would be an almost perfect choice for the role though.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

And other publications' reviews, including overall consensus', put the the first above the second...

I found it dull, it felt so dragged out to the point where I almost fell asleep/my mind drifted. It didn't have quite the same charm as the first one - the same charm that made me watch the film and walk away having reasonably enjoyed it for it was. Seems they went for action over drama/performance. And yes, I know it is unfair to call it 'LOTR lite' but you can't help but compare it...

Fair enough, just curious.

The first one was definitely LOTR-lite, but that was part of why I liked it.
Original post by Phalanges
Fair enough, just curious.

The first one was definitely LOTR-lite, but that was part of why I liked it.

Interested to hear your thoughts after you've watched it. Will you be seeing Voyager of the Dawn Treader?
I cannot stand the Narnia films.

I don't know what it is about them.

Interested to hear your thoughts after you've watched it. Will you be seeing Voyager of the Dawn Treader?

I shall let you know. :smile:

Depends if I like the second. As soon as the first was finished I rang one of my friends to tell her I was going to drag her to see it on Boxing Day, but I may have doubts tomorrow.

The main problem I have is that I now want to read the books again (I haven't for many years) and I know that will be an issue because I'll start freaking out if they change some stuff around. I watched the Colour of Magic earlier on Sky and spent pretty much the entire 2 hours pointing all the many, many ways they made the story worse.

It's world premiere is at Sundance and Kevin Smith plans to auction off the distribution rights at the same time. I'd love to be a fly on the wall there. :trytofly:
Original post by Phalanges
I shall let you know. :smile:

Depends if I like the second. As soon as the first was finished I rang one of my friends to tell her I was going to drag her to see it on Boxing Day, but I may have doubts tomorrow.

The main problem I have is that I now want to read the books again (I haven't for many years) and I know that will be an issue because I'll start freaking out if they change some stuff around. I watched the Colour of Magic earlier on Sky and spent pretty much the entire 2 hours pointing all the many, many ways they made the story worse.

:gah:

Spoiler

Glad Fox picked up the franchise though, do you think it may be rebooted in future by someone else? Seems like if Harry Potter was ever to be rebooted in 10, 20 or 30 years, the Narnian films would also seem like a good candidate.

I was just about to post that as well - reading the books again. The recent release has got me into the mood to read them again. Alas, lots other books to read first.

Have you read a lot of Discworld books? I've been thinking of getting into them and the large list of books is pretty daunting as to finding a place to start. The only one I've read from my childhood is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. I've been told that most of them are standalone books with some story archs. The TV adaptations that are sometimes on look pretty ... bad. :tongue:

As an expert on the series, which books would you recommend reading in the series as a starting point or as the best of the series?

Original post by cambo211
I cannot stand the Narnia films.

I don't know what it is about them.

Heavy religious themes? Too deep in what seems like nonsensical fantasy? :tongue:

Have you read any of the books? Did you like the recent Alice in Wonderland film
(edited 13 years ago)
Narnian films are my--second-- guilty pleasure :teeth:

Spoiler

hmmm...

300 or Juno to watch at nine tonight. :erm:
I vote 300. :wizard:
(edited 13 years ago)
Juno. :holmes:

Because it has two cast members from Arrested Development and promotion videos between them such as:

Reply 5410
Anyone seen Sofia Coppola's Somewhere?
Reply 5411
I've saw somewhere last week. i don' t know if i enjoyed it exactly, but found it really interesting and I want to see it again, so would definitely recommend it :smile:
Reply 5412
Original post by Firaila
Anyone seen Sofia Coppola's Somewhere?

It's coming to my local indie cinema after Christmas but I know the download is out there. Really looking forward to seeing it. What did you think?
this is so homoerotic, there are no words to describe the amount of lathered grease/tan/spraypaint ...

:ninja: obviously, i'm not watching Juno :ninja:
Reply 5414
I quite liked Lost In Translation, it was a "subtle" film but at times it dipped into self-indulgence. The reviews I've read of Somewhere suggest it's a film in which Coppola takes the "not much happens" approach more...so I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not :s-smilie:

I've not seen The Virgin Suicides either, but my friend tells me it's good...
This is blasphemy. This is madness.
Reply 5416
Original post by beecher
It's coming to my local indie cinema after Christmas but I know the download is out there. Really looking forward to seeing it. What did you think?

Not seen it yet :smile:
Has anybody seen The Last King of Scotland?

Original post by cool-kid
x

Welcome to the thread! :h:
This is blasphemy. This is madness.

:sparta:
Reply 5419
Has anybody seen The Last King of Scotland?

Welcome to the thread! :h:

It's a brilliant film, I'd recommend it highly if you haven't already seen it

Latest

Trending

Trending