The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis

I am pretty sure I have tonsillitis, and have had for the past 5~ days. The reason I didn't go to the GP originally is because I thought it was just a some peculiar symptom of a hangover, and any bouts of sore throats I've had before usually go within 2 days. I also didn't have (still don't) the energy to get up, get dressed and go. Is there any rule of thumb which says viral/bacterial lasts longer than the other?

Ibuprofen or paracetamol don't really touch the pain or swelling, and local anesthetic sprays (Difflam (Benzydamine Hydrochloride) or Ultra Chloraseptic (Benzocaine)) don't really work at all (but they usually do for me).

It is extremely difficult to impossible to swallow without extreme pain, and as my nose is blocked I have to breath through my mouth which irritates my throat for some reason. It is very difficult to sleep, I wake up every 10-20 minutes (I suspect whenever I swallow, the pain usually 'jolts' me awake) and I have an aching neck.

N.B. I have drank about ~5 L of water in the past 4 days.

tl;dr: I am not really in the state to go to the GP right now and wondering on any advice you could give.

Scroll to see replies

Im sorry if you're not feeling better.
When i had tonsillitis, i drink a fresh lime squeezed in a glass of warm water, with four teaspoons of honey and a quarter teaspoon of common salt.
Sometimes vegetable juices works too.
Sometimes i just let honey melt down on my throat, don't do it if you're allergic to it.
Also you should try and drink lots of hot salty stuff.
If it didn't work out, you really need to go to the doctor if you don't want it to get worse.

I hope this helps you.
Get well soon.
(edited 13 years ago)
a hot lemon drink perhaps?

hang in there, tonsillitis is one of the most painful experiences i have ever had
Reply 3
when I had tonsillitis I was told to go home, and rinse my mouth out with salt water :lolwut:
I used to get tonsilitis every couple of weeks back in the day until i had them out :smile:

Best thing you can do is to try and rest and drink lots! If it persists for longer than a week you really should see a doctor, only because it can spread to your ears/nose (which isn't pleasant).
Reply 5
try gargling with salt water, and drink green tea with a slice of lemon and a few spoonfuls of honey.
Have you tried to look at the back of your throat? Are you tonsils pussy with white spots?
I would really recommend going to the doctor, you need to get some antibiotics which should shift the problem. I know its horrible heading down there but you should try because this sounds overdramatic but really bad cases can lead to quinsy and that is really serious. Its good to have a doctor just check them over.

Have you been vomiting?
Reply 7
Strepsils extra (the blackcurrant ones) worked for me - I had tonsillitis a few weeks back, and couldn't take the time off work, so I dosed up on paracetamol, ibuprofen (can reduce swelling), strepsils, soothers and lots of cups of tea. Took about a week to shift it from when I first saw the white spots...
Reply 8
As somebody has already said, have a look to see if you have any pus points. If you don't then its prob viral. If there are then some abxs will probably help. Worth bearing in mind that 80% sore throats resolve without treatement by 7 days anyhow. Also treating with abxs reduces the mean length of symptoms by only 16 hours. Having said that if it is really sore then another 16 hours is not worth it!
Reply 9
Original post by mollymustard
Have you tried to look at the back of your throat? Are you tonsils pussy with white spots?
I would really recommend going to the doctor, you need to get some antibiotics which should shift the problem. I know its horrible heading down there but you should try because this sounds overdramatic but really bad cases can lead to quinsy and that is really serious. Its good to have a doctor just check them over.

Have you been vomiting?

No vomiting, all symptoms listed in the OP.

It is on the mend now anyway, but the 'plateau' lasted for 2 days is which is quite unusual for me. An incredibly bad spout. I didn't have any exudate on the tonsils.

Thanks for all your help.
Hiya :smile: I virtually live with tonsilitis, so am pretty much used to it :tongue: lol. I get the bacterial one @ least 3 times a year but the viral one virtually never disappears, it's mainly as my immune system isnt the best, so whenever I pick up anything it goes straight to my tonsils. Doctor's wont do anything about it either, as I dont get the bacterial version 6 times a year, and the one time they were going to take my tonsils out the letter didnt get to us, so I missed the oppurtunity :s-smilie: Apparently it's poisoning my system which could be exceedingly dangerous in the future, however, should I have my tonsils taken out I will likely become very ill indeed because I'll catch all sorts, Catch 22 :s-smilie:
So, basically the doctors have told me I can diagnose tonsilitis myself, and I only need to go there when I have the bacterial version, therefore I may be able to help you :tongue:

If Difflam spray and Paracetemol/Ibuprofen dont work, try gargling soluable Paracetemol or Asprin - be careful, never take Asprin and Paracetemol @ the same time though!! You can also gargle Salt Water but that's just gross :tongue: lol. I was also told Carbonated Water is good for sore throats, so I'd suggest gargling that or perhaps lemonade??
If those things don't work you could do what works quite well for me and that's a combination of a course of Difflam Spray and Calpol - they work suprisingly well together :smile:
Ice cream is a fab soother, and of course you have strepsils/throat lozenges that do help to a certain degree :smile:
I've found Extra Strong Mints suprisingly useful, especially if you have a blocked nose too, but be careful as this can be a bit too strong :tongue:
Nureofen Meltlets are great but be careful not to mix any medicines, ALWAYS READ THE LABELS!! :smile:
Make sure you drink lots of cold drinks, as they tend to soothe the throat better than hot drinks, however, the other day I had a mixture of a small amount of Brandy mixed with Lemon Juice and Sugar in warm water which really helped me sleep :smile:
Rest is exceedingly important, something I don't do is rest enough, but, a bit of fresh air and exercise is good when you're sure you're on the road to recovery as it just speeds everything up :smile:

You need to get someone to shine a torch so they can see your tonsils, as if there are any yellowish blotches on them you need to see a GP ASAP as that indicates it's bacterial so you'll definately need Penecilin - it's gross stuff but I always ask for the liquid as opposed to the tablets as trying to force tablets down an already sore throat is horrible, besides I'm pretty sure the liquid antibiotics work far better as a rule as it actually has contact with the tonsils, but that isnt actually proven :tongue:

Anyways, if none of that works and you're still suffering, please feel free to msg me and I'll try to remember some more things that might help :tongue:
However, whenever someone suspects they have tonsilitis they should always seek Medical Advice - it isnt really a great idea to be asking for such advice on a forum :smile:
All the Best, hope you feel better really soon - As it happens I've got tonsilitis, again, just in time for Christmas, so you're not alone :smile:

Edit: As a general rule is you're experiencing Cold/Flu-like symptoms you're most probably suffering with the viral version, however, Medical Advice should always be sought if you're in doubt :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Get a tonsillectomy? I got it done a decade ago and i literally relish my decision. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by bluemax
Get a tonsillectomy? I got it done a decade ago and i literally relish my decision. :smile:

I doubt surgery would be indicated for my one case of tonsillitis a year! :p:

Unfortunately, seems I've given this to my girlfriend. How brilliant! :frown:
Reply 13
Was this by any chance on a Monday morning?
Reply 14
Original post by qasman
Was this by any chance on a Monday morning?

When symptoms first appeared? No, friday morning.

e: Saturday morning. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Beska
I doubt surgery would be indicated for my one case of tonsillitis a year! :p:

Unfortunately, seems I've given this to my girlfriend. How brilliant! :frown:

tonsillitis is a condition in which your tonsils get inflamed. As far as i know you cant exactly spread it around. So cheer up man :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by bluemax
tonsillitis is a condition in which your tonsils get inflamed. As far as i know you cant exactly spread it around. So cheer up man :smile:

Well I've spread the bacteria/virus which caused it then. :p:
Strepsils cool, kendal mint cake and a load of ice cream. Doctors can't really do anything bar giving you antibiotics whilst telling you that it's likely a virus. Just eat ice cream :yep:
Original post by steffi.alexa
Strepsils cool, kendal mint cake and a load of ice cream. Doctors can't really do anything bar giving you antibiotics whilst telling you that it's likely a virus. Just eat ice cream :yep:

mixing mint cake and ice cream. nasty. (unless mint choc chip)
Original post by Jamie

Original post by Jamie
mixing mint cake and ice cream. nasty. (unless mint choc chip)

Haha you don't have them in one mouthful! Alternate them :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest