The Student Room Group

Are there any girls who have decided they never want to have kids?

It's something that has been playing on my mind. I want to get married but then I have recently realised I don't ever want to have children. I just feel really inadequate and don't think I'm up to it emotionally. I just prefer the Carrie and Mr Big scenario.

Are there any girls who feel that way?

Guys, would you ever marry a girl who said they never want to have kids?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me! I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to have kids. If I were ever to be inclined towards having children, I'd adopt a disadvantaged child. :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, I've felt this way for a long time. I'm not a maternal person and I don't tolerate children well. I never get broody looking at children or baby clothes, I'd rather have a career and the independence.

I do worry that whoever I'm with when I'm older may want to have children and leave me because I don't, but I guess it's just a risk I'll have to take.
i sometimes feel like this. It looks like hard work...
It may be a long shot, but if he wanted kids, fostering could be an option? :dontknow:
Reply 4
Yeh, I think I'll get a gerbil instead.
Yeah, quite recently after a few discussions with myself in my head lol I've decided I'm almost certain I don't want to have children- they're far too much hassle, tie you down, the pain of labour is scary and I've never really liked children, so I really don't think I want to go through with kids.
I don't want any children. I'm not tolerant of them at all and I would rather the independence and the extra cash to spend on holidays and stuff :wink:
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm definitely leaning towards not wanting kids :smile:
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have kids. I hatehatehate hospitals with a passion, and I don't I think I'd be remotely fulfilled spending all day with say a baby and a 3 year old.

Better to know yourself and what you really want from life, than to live up to expectations and have a kid you never really wanted.
Reply 9
Yes. I have felt this way all my life, never had any doubt to be honest.
Yeah I know I don't want kids. I do quite like kids (when they are a fun age - 3,4,5ish - babies are rubbish) but I certainly wouldn't want any of my own. My ex really wanted kids. Idk what would have happened if we had carried on. I'm not prepared to ruin my life with kids just to keep a man. Haha.
Original post by Vohamanah
Yeah I know I don't want kids. I do quite like kids (when they are a fun age - 3,4,5ish - babies are rubbish) but I certainly wouldn't want any of my own. My ex really wanted kids. Idk what would have happened if we had carried on. I'm not prepared to ruin my life with kids just to keep a man. Haha.

Ruin your life?
Oh that makes me a little sad.. :frown:
Reply 12

And having kids with someone isnt gauranteed to keep them anyway.
I'm in that frame of mind now, but I may change my mind when I'm older, and probably not for the right reasons either. I hope not though, even if I did decide to devote some of my time and love to a child I would still probably be a crap parent.
Reply 14
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My reasons are really deep. My mum has always gone on about how people who decide not to have children are selfish but then I the reason I don't want to have children is actually because of them. I'm really cold and emotionally unavailable because of the way they brought me up. They have been so cold and emotionally unavailable in brining me up and my mum doesn't know what unconditional love is.

I just fear I would turn out like them if I ever became a parent.

I think they are the selfish ones for having me as a child all because they wanted a cute baby but then when the going got tough when I got older, they couldn't deal with it.

I think they are really hoping to become grandparents one day because they keep looking at my aunts who now have grandchildren with admiration. I don't think I will afford them that opportunity.
Original post by Smiling...Rain
Ruin your life?
Oh that makes me a little sad.. :frown:

Ohh no offence meant at all to anyone who has or wants kids. Its just that my life as I see it doesn't involve kids, so if I should 'accidentally' get pregnant it would mean a massive change that I'm not 100% up for.

Lol, this made me laugh
Original post by Annie72
And having kids with someone isnt gauranteed to keep them anyway.

I think she was referring to the context of her ex.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My reasons are really deep. My mum has always gone on about how people who decide not to have children are selfish but then I the reason I don't want to have children is actually because of them. I'm really cold and emotionally unavailable because of the way they brought me up. They have been so cold and emotionally unavailable in brining me up and my mum doesn't know what unconditional love is.

I just fear I would turn out like them if I ever became a parent.

I think they are the selfish ones for having me as a child all because they wanted a cute baby but then when the going got tough when I got older, they couldn't deal with it.

I think they are really hoping to become grandparents one day because they keep looking at my aunts who now have grandchildren with admiration. I don't think I will afford them that opportunity.

Thats made me sad, but I can totally understand where you are coming from.TBH I dont know how anyone cant love their child unconditionally,thats what parents do.
I want kids, but several of my friends don't. When they tell me, I always thank them. Do we really need more kids running around whose parents don't give a sh*t about them? If you want kids, great, but no one should have them for any reason other than really wanting them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending