The Student Room Group

Not available to start new job yet, when should I say?

I have a job interview next week, but I think I applied too early. I was advised by TSR to apply 5-6 months in advance, which may have been the right thing to do because this job requires a CRB check, references and occupational health clearance. But its January and I can't start till the end of June because I'm still in year 13. I don't know whether all the checks will take as long 5 months.

The question is, should I tell them at interview and risk rejection, or should I wait till I actually get a start date and then negotiate the start date to be later? I know saying at interview seems morally better but if the process actually does take 5 months, then I might as well have said nothing.

What should I do?
Original post by jennaz77
I have a job interview next week, but I think I applied too early. I was advised by TSR to apply 5-6 months in advance, which may have been the right thing to do because this job requires a CRB check, references and occupational health clearance. But its January and I can't start till the end of June because I'm still in year 13. I don't know whether all the checks will take as long 5 months.

The question is, should I tell them at interview and risk rejection, or should I wait till I actually get a start date and then negotiate the start date to be later? I know saying at interview seems morally better but if the process actually does take 5 months, then I might as well have said nothing.

What should I do?

Presumably they can tell from your CV/application that you are still in school, so it won't be a surprise to them.
Original post by threeportdrift
Presumably they can tell from your CV/application that you are still in school, so it won't be a surprise to them.

They didn't ask about this on the application form, only past employment and relevant qualifications. The only clue is that I put my a level grades as pending, but I dont know if its enough for them to guess.

Do you think I should tell them when I can start at the interview, or leave it till I'm actually given a starting date?

Thanks for replying :smile:
Oh no.. :s
What's the actual job?
I'm not really in a position to advise as i have no idea. If you tell them now, it's pretty likely that they'll choose someone else over you, if they want someone to start asap. But if you don't tell them till later on, then they may get pretty annoyed and fire you? I dunno...
They didn't ask about this on the application form, only past employment and relevant qualifications. The only clue is that I put my a level grades as pending, but I dont know if its enough for them to guess.

Do you think I should tell them when I can start at the interview, or leave it till I'm actually given a starting date?

Thanks for replying :smile:

Putting your A level grades as pending is about as certain as you can get that a person is in year 12 or 13! The whole tenor of the application will indicate that you aren't a mature student.

Once they interview you it will become apparent that you are 18ish and are in year 13, at which point they will either decide themselves not to offer you a job because they need someone to start sooner than the summer, or they will offer you a summer start. The decision will not be yours to make.
Putting your A level grades as pending is about as certain as you can get that a person is in year 12 or 13! The whole tenor of the application will indicate that you aren't a mature student.

Once they interview you it will become apparent that you are 18ish and are in year 13, at which point they will either decide themselves not to offer you a job because they need someone to start sooner than the summer, or they will offer you a summer start. The decision will not be yours to make.

Oh ok, so I should let them know at the interview???
Oh ok, so I should let them know at the interview???

Don't walk into the interview and say Hi, I'm Jennie, I'd just like to say I can't start this job until summer next year'. Let the interview start, they will very quickly come to the point where they ask if you are still at school, it will probably be about the first question they ask. They will then know that you can't start until next summer, so they will then ask you directly.

All I am saying is that there will not be a relevant opportunity for you to say, I can't start until next summer - They will realise almost immediately, if they haven't worked it out already, and make their own decision as to whether they are prepared to wait until after your A levels. Unless they are particularly inexperienced employers, they will have noted from your application that you are at school and will not be available until the summer. In which case, as they have still invited you to interview, it isn't an issue for them.

You are worrying about the wrong thing - focus on answering the likely interview questions!
Don't walk into the interview and say Hi, I'm Jennie, I'd just like to say I can't start this job until summer next year'. Let the interview start, they will very quickly come to the point where they ask if you are still at school, it will probably be about the first question they ask. They will then know that you can't start until next summer, so they will then ask you directly.

All I am saying is that there will not be a relevant opportunity for you to say, I can't start until next summer - They will realise almost immediately, if they haven't worked it out already, and make their own decision as to whether they are prepared to wait until after your A levels. Unless they are particularly inexperienced employers, they will have noted from your application that you are at school and will not be available until the summer. In which case, as they have still invited you to interview, it isn't an issue for them.

You are worrying about the wrong thing - focus on answering the likely interview questions!

Ok, thanks for your help :smile:
I'm a bit unsure as to whether they'll ask about school because everyone at the pre assessment was way older than me. Its for a HCA post. I guess if they don't ask when I'm available to start then I'm not saying aything and if they give me an early start date I'll tell them I expected the recruitment process to take longer. What do you think? Although if like you said they figure it out, I'll be honest.
Thanks x

ps. how do you know my name is Jenny? lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Ok, thanks for your help :smile:
I'm a bit unsure as to whether they'll ask about school because everyone at the pre assessment was way older than me. Its for a HCA post. I guess if they don't ask when I'm available to start then I'm not saying aything and if they give me an early start date I'll tell them I expected the recruitment process to take longer. What do you think? Although if like you said they figure it out, I'll be honest.
Thanks x

ps. how do you know my name is Jenny? lol

You've got to be fairly spectacularly dim not to notice from a CV and a face to face pre-assessment that someone is in the sixth form! I suspect they don't care. Is this a central company that then send you out to specific homes etc when the need arises? If so, then they know and don't care. They will perhaps try to make you work in the Easter holidays, which you would presumably refuse, but otherwise they will be happy for you to start in the summer.

As you suggest, if they offer you an early start date, just say you can't start until x date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending