The Student Room Group

How to get an A in Biology AS Unit 1 exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SugarMouse.
Wait whaaat?? 38/60 is an A??

Yep that's for the January papers cuz they tend to be lienent as it's the first set of exams whereas in June it's about 45+ to get an A cuz it's a chance for the paper to be resat and people have more time to study for it. That's also for OCR Chemistry, in January - you need 45+ in May, you needed 52+ to get an A.
Reply 21
Original post by LifeIsGood
Yep that's for the January papers cuz they tend to be lienent as it's the first set of exams whereas in June it's about 45+ to get an A cuz it's a chance for the paper to be resat and people have more time to study for it. That's also for OCR Chemistry, in January - you need 45+ in May, you needed 52+ to get an A.

OMG IT IS I JUST CHECKED. I feel sooo much better!! AHHH :biggrin: Sorry I'm just so excited :biggrin: Haha. Wow. Well I better do another past paper lool :P
Oh and btw, not that this helps or anything but I think you'll do great in your biology exam, getting 90%+ in every exam is reeeally good :smile:
Reply 22

I'm an A* student and really really reeeally want an A in this exam coming up. I do 4 A-levels and (unexpectedly) find biology the hardest. I feel like I know everything and I'm doing so many exam-style questions and past papers and I've read through the textbook - The exam board I'm on is AQA btw - but I'm still not getting anywhere near an A! I hate the markschemes too.
What do I doooo? Please help :frown:

And I'm thinking of doing biology for A2 as well. :/

GCSE to A-Level is a big jump, as I'm sure you have realised. Through personal experience I have seen people with A*/A at GCSE do worse than those with a B at GCSE. I'm sure you didn't mean it in a big-headed way, but I think it is better to have that slight "I may have been extremely smart at GCSE but now I am not as great" attitude. You need to keep in mind that at A-Level there is a lot more of actually understanding the question properly, and applying knowledge.
Don't focus too much on mark schemes, because like you said "enzyme activity is reduced"/"enzymes activity decreases" can make you really panic. If you understand the topic well, you will understand that saying "enzyme activity is reduced" is kind of the better way of saying it, as something is causing it to be reduced? Same as if you said "enzyme activity is decreased". Get a good revision guide ( I can't really recommend one as I did the older spec with AQA), and do the questions at the end of each chapter. Good luck :smile:
Reply 23

Grade boundaries can change though, depending on how people did ie. easy paper = grade boundaries go up. Correct me if I'm wrong.
OMG IT IS I JUST CHECKED. I feel sooo much better!! AHHH :biggrin: Sorry I'm just so excited :biggrin: Haha. Wow. Well I better do another past paper lool :P
Oh and btw, not that this helps or anything but I think you'll do great in your biology exam, getting 90%+ in every exam is reeeally good :smile:

Thanks! I hope it comes out that way in the final too! :biggrin:
Don't slack Biology though from the grade boundaries just use it to know what you NEED to get for the grade you want :smile: It can change too. I was also a little relieved when I saw the grade boundaries.
Original post by SHABANA
Grade boundaries can change though, depending on how people did ie. easy paper = grade boundaries go up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

True but I do think they are a little bit lienent cuz it's the first set of exams, the info. I got was from the grade boundaries to reassure myself and other people of the marks we should be getting for an A. But you are right, they may change
Reply 26
Buy CGP revision guide...read through several times (so that its learnt well)...read through more for good luck...sit exam...easy A. Worked for me, and anyone else I know who did it :smile:
Reply 27
I currently started AS OCR biology unit cells, exchange an d transport i really want and need an A. Can you send me useful revision notes to help me achieve an A if possible? thanks
Original post by Tania2k9
I currently started AS OCR biology unit cells, exchange an d transport i really want and need an A. Can you send me useful revision notes to help me achieve an A if possible? thanks

I do OCR Chemistry but this may help you a bit;
-Print off the specification
-Highlight all keywords and learn the definitions < easy marks!
-Then work through the book with legacy papers
-Make model answers
-Do current exam papers
Reply 29
Original post by dog24
I got a 100% UMS in this unit, it's 50% about knowing your stuff, I mean every detail and 50% about reading the question and interpreting it properly, past papers will help with this, Biology AQA is the sort of subject that you do better in than you expect as long as you know your stuff and concentrate

How did you tackle the how science works section in past paper, that seems to be where i mess up haha
Hello, I know I’m a bit too late, but is it okay if you post the notes you wrote down?
Original post by lekky
It's always 80% for A, 70% for B, etc..

I don't think reading through textbooks really cuts it, at least not for me. I used the textbook and my class notes to make my own notes (handwritten) for the entire syllabus, using the syllabus as a checklist to make sure I covered absolutely everything. I would then go through my own notes and summarise them. I'd also make a list of the words I had to define (they will be noted in the syllabus) and learnt them off by heart. Then lots and lots and lots of past papers, mark them, and you'll see patterns on what you need to say to hit the marks. I got 100% in all A Level Bio exams.

Hello,I know I’m a bit late but do you think you can post your notes here?
Reply 32
Original post by LinaD2112
Hello,I know I’m a bit late but do you think you can post your notes here?

No its been like 10 years I don't have them!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending