Visit website
Reply 1921
Original post by mooniibuggy
Offerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!

Awesome!!!
Original post by skypig97
Awesome!!!

Thank youuuu :smile:
Hi I am new on here but applied for History to Durham in October. Is the fact that I have heard nothing other than the dept has received my application imply anything, ie I am less likely to get an offer but they are waiting till all applications are in before rejecting me. Or is my imagination just running riot???????????
Original post by steffanie
I only live a few minutes away from the college and law department, so I'm set for visiting Durham :smile: haha.
Would you firm Durham over LSE? I think I'd firm it over KCL if I got an offer, just not sure about UCL, I wish they would reply sooner!

If I were you I'd definitely firm Durham over KCL. I think UCL vs. Durham might be cause for a visit. I think I'm going to firm Durham no matter what. LSE seems to be weak on undergraduate teaching for law. Plus the social life there seems to be :frown:

Original post by Us3rname
So you both also have offers to read law at Castle? Snap :smile: And Mayrhofen, yeah, I should be at the open days. You too?

Where else have you applied? And which A Levels are you both taking?

So thats 3 of us for law at castle!

Still debating on whether I'm going to the open day. But if I do, it'll probably be the 22nd. I live in the US, so we don't do a levels. But for what its worth, my subjects are economics, psychology, english, physics and politics.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1925
Original post by Snowhere girl
Hi I am new on here but applied for History to Durham in October. Is the fact that I have heard nothing other than the dept has received my application imply anything, ie I am less likely to get an offer but they are waiting till all applications are in before rejecting me. Or is my imagination just running riot???????????

My app got stuck from mid-Oct to mid-Dec b/c of a question on my fee status . . . I made calls to Int'l and Admissions Office to gently nudge it along, asking if there was anything they needed from me or if I could answer any questions. Since it was unstuck and a decision was made, I have spoken to the Dept head who apologized profusely for the delay and said there was no reason decisions shouldn't be made inside a month. I am sure this could be different in other Depts, but I wouldn't let your imagination run wild, just ring them up . . . next week now that the holiday is upon us.
Original post by skypig97
I have spoken to the Dept head who apologized profusely for the delay and said there was no reason decisions shouldn't be made inside a month.... just ring them up . . . next week now that the holiday is upon us.

Thanks I don't want to be a nuisance but it has been ages.... and I really want this one (sigh) I just wondered if I was being rather impatient and imaginative.
Reply 1927
Original post by Snowhere girl
Thanks I don't want to be a nuisance but it has been ages.... and I really want this one (sigh) I just wondered if I was being rather impatient and imaginative.

1 month is impatient, 2 months . . . that's different
Reply 1928
I know, admittedly I was dreading that it would live up to its reputation - I applied without realising it's meant to be stuck up :redface: and if it was I don't think I would fit in so.. :smile: Decided grey is really nice and plus, they have awesome fireworks and that's always good :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmm I'm also torn between Durham and UCL. Saw UCL two weeks ago and am heading up to Durham in March, but not really sure which one I'd prefer to be honest.

So are those AP? Out of interest, why are you choosing to come back to the UK and do law straight away? I only ask because I'm applying to America as well.

I've done World History and US History for AP....but I took a different route for qualifications. I'm doing joint enrollment. It basically means instead of taking classes at my high school, I'm taking classes at university.

I'm choosing the UK for a couple of reasons. 1) law is a grad degree in the US. Which means it would be 7 years (4 years undergrad+3 years law school) at least by the time I graduate law school. 2) a new experience. 3) I don't want to do liberal arts, I'd much rather focus on one subject. 4) Its significantly cheaper. 5) Undergrad teaching in the US is very redundant in the social sciences, and I really wouldn't learn much. 6) An LLB from a UK uni would position me better for a legal career since I'd like to practice somewhere other than the US.
Thanks for explaining, that's all quite interesting. With regards to point 5 - why would you say it's redundant? And if you had the option between UK law and Ivy League (for free), would it change your opinion?

Basically a lot of the material is very repetitive by the time you get to 300 and 400 level classes. I can say this is the case for social sciences. Probably humanities as well. But not the case for math/science. I guess the only way it wouldn't get redundant is if you really took advantage of the liberal arts system. Meaning you took as wide array of classes as possible. The problem with this is that you won't be specialized in anything, and at max you'll have the competency of a 2nd year equivalent in the UK.

Ivy or UK for law? I would only take HYP. Once I got an offer from Durham I threw away my Columbia application. I definitely wouldn't take Cornell, Brown or Dartmouth. Apart from my strong hatred of liberal arts, career opportunities would be weak with my major (politics). Coming from one of the schools listed above with a major in social science (excluding economics) and humanities opens ZERO doors. Its actually embarrassing of how many ivy league english, history, etc. majors are unemployed. Most of them are forced into grad school, where they dig themselves deeper into debt by taking up worthless grad degrees. Only further screwing themselves away from employment. A percentage of those will take up a law degree, but in an overly saturated US legal market...they need to come from a T14 and top 10 percent of the class if they want anything that will remotely begin to pay back the loans on their law school debt.

Now if you applied for math/science at an ivy or business at Wharton, then my opinion would be different.

My advice--If you know that you want to be a lawyer, then there is no reason to take up a 4 year degree in the US. You are just wasting your time because you'll have to get a law degree anyway. Your piers who chose law in the UK will be making 100,000 pounds by the time you graduate from law school if you choose to take up a US degree. I can promise you that your time would be better spent taking up a one year masters course in the US after the LLB. I'd advise an LLM, but if you wanted some non-legal degree...Columbia's MA in liberal studies is pretty much a shoe-in. This is definitely a much better option in my opinion.

This is just one opinion though. Perhaps its because so many people at my high school get caught up with name--assuming that ivy league=job security. And to a point they are correct....as long as it is math or science. But for anything else, they're screwed.
Original post by Sappho
I don't think so. But then, they'd definitely let you know via UCAS track if they've made a decision.

Not heard anything yet, driving me maddd :frown:
Offer for PPE, but I haven't been allocated to any college yet, anyone in the same situation?
Reply 1933
Original post by xxcloseyoureyesxx
Not heard anything yet, driving me maddd :frown:

Yes, same here. I sent my application in mid-October and had my first offer last week, and I suppose it will take the others quite some time to reply.

Any I guess they don't work until January, right?
Just got an offer for the Paleopathology MSc. :smile: I'm from the USA and can't wait!

Not sure about what college, though. I've done a lot of research, but it's still kind of confusing.
Reply 1935
Original post by foxonstilts
Just got an offer for the Paleopathology MSc. :smile: I'm from the USA and can't wait!

Not sure about what college, though. I've done a lot of research, but it's still kind of confusing.

So are you just finishing an undergrad degree? If so, where? Did you choose a college and just haven't heard yet?
Has anyone got offers for law????
I'm dying here... got rejected from Oxford.. and I really really really want Durham.
This is agonising... I hate waiting :frown:
Original post by eve_m
Haha, I literally just got my letter! So no ringing them needed. Kind of disappointed, I've been moved to Grey College, not on the bailey and not old! :frown: I thought they'd at least try to give you something similar to what you originally applied for. Oh well, going to concentrate on the fact that I have an offer and I should be pleased :smile: Well done to you, too, by the way :biggrin: Still, makes me sad that I might be living in this gorgeous place but not in a gorgeous college (no offence to anyone who applied to Grey :redface:). You applying for history too?

ooo my friend went to grey! its not historic-looking but it is really nice :smile:
I applied to hatfield for the same reason, I wanted either my college or my department to be in the city, and since my department's on the hill, I looked at all the bailey colleges and narrowed it down from there.
No, I've applied for Anthropology - its weird that the department is on the science hill since its an art, lol. oh well.
Reply 1938
Original post by webber8345
ooo my friend went to grey! its not historic-looking but it is really nice :smile:
I applied to hatfield for the same reason, I wanted either my college or my department to be in the city, and since my department's on the hill, I looked at all the bailey colleges and narrowed it down from there.
No, I've applied for Anthropology - its weird that the department is on the science hill since its an art, lol. oh well.

Ah, see I just like old things (mainly buildings :tongue:) and the history department's across the road from Hatfield so that swung it for me. And yeah I noticed the Anthropology department there on an open day and thought it was a bit weird, but oh well. You get a lovely view of the city from the hill so that'll be nice :smile:
Original post by eve_m
Ah, see I just like old things (mainly buildings :tongue:) and the history department's across the road from Hatfield so that swung it for me. And yeah I noticed the Anthropology department there on an open day and thought it was a bit weird, but oh well. You get a lovely view of the city from the hill so that'll be nice :smile:

Yea I know how you feel about older architecture, its just so atmospheric! When I was in Durham looking at the uni, I fell in love with the Cathedral and if I go there, I'm probably going to study in the cloisters lol.. I'm not religious (or christian) in anyway, but the building is just so beautiful
Someone said earlier in the thread that you should be happy to being going elsewhere because Hatfield has a pretty bad reputation and I agree to some extent. I WAS aware of that when I applied and the girl I know at Grey said that they're considered the 'Slytherine of Durham' which I found kinda cool, but the sentiment is still the same. She also said though that thats the stereotype and she knows a lot of really nice people that go there. She said that all the colleges have their stereotypes and while some are true to some extent, a lot of them aren't.
The main thing for me is how large the college is. I figure, the larger it is, the more likely I'd be to find like-minded people.

Latest