The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B exam - 17/01/2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ryannn

Original post by ryannn
I thought it was B :eek: Ugh, I dunno. But it seems a lot of us are having the same problem with marking anyway, so I hope you all get the grades you deserve. It worries me that it could cost me a university place in the end :frown: I'm even more desperate to go this year too because of the rise in tuition fees next year

I get why you're worried. I am too. If AQA cost me my place I think I'll cry.
Reply 41
Original post by ryannn
I thought it was B :eek: Ugh, I dunno. But it seems a lot of us are having the same problem with marking anyway, so I hope you all get the grades you deserve. It worries me that it could cost me a university place in the end :frown: I'm even more desperate to go this year too because of the rise in tuition fees next year

Yeah looks like it's A! But yeah, it does. And it annoys me the media or anything haven't picked up on it. I know AQA were in the news - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11468265 - but I don't think much was done :| But yeah, I totally agree. We can't really afford for any mistakes!
Does anybody know what the exam board mean when they say "narrative voices"? I know what one is, its just which aspects of the poem are we supposed to analyse? The language the narrator uses, does that come under narrative voice? So confused!
Original post by Popat21
AQA ARE douches.

Also, you're applying to do Politics! SO AM I! University of Birmingham offered me a place a couple of days ago too :smile:

Ah cool :smile: Where else have you applied?
Reply 44
The whole of my class is resitting, I got a C, a lot of people got Es and Us who were predicted As and Bs, so there was obviously some kind of **** up.

I'm pretty worried about it, last time I felt like I had no idea how to answer the questions to get marks, and I'm still not sure now.

I hate AQA :p:
Reply 45
Original post by misshape
The whole of my class is resitting, I got a C, a lot of people got Es and Us who were predicted As and Bs, so there was obviously some kind of **** up.

I'm pretty worried about it, last time I felt like I had no idea how to answer the questions to get marks, and I'm still not sure now.

I hate AQA :p:

Beginning to think this is a general feeling! Maybe we should go kidnap an examiner and demand they give us all A's aha :P

The amount of people that didn't get the grades they deserved, you'd think someone would figure something was going on -_-
Reply 46
Anyone doing Small Island, Great Expectations and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Hardy for poetry?
Reply 47
Original post by esachica
Sounds identical to my schools situation! They failed us ALL for the exam and because we all had A/B coursework, the majority of us ended up with D/E grades. Now I wouldn't say any of us are A* but we did NOT deserve those grades. Not gonna lie, I think AQA screwed up big time this year! But eh, too late to do anything so on with the resit! Only just picked up the Kite Runner today actually. We did The Great Gatsby in detail so that'll be my main text with Kite Runner & the poems used for section B. But yeah, at the moment just rereading D: I'm not really sure HOW to study it apart from go over themes and structure. For you, if you're using it as a main text, you know one of the questions is chapter related so look at the chapters which HAVEN'T been used as a question and study those in particular? :smile:

I think around 80% of ours were affected, loads went in for a remark and a few changed, and then AQA said they wouldn't look at any papers that had been remarked already. Same really! It seems that the really really high achieving ones did OK, but anyone else was screwed over. Kite Runner's my Section B text, but I'm just unsure how to deal with it. With Rossetti and Dubliners, they're poems/short stories and I can deal with them in sections. Thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by yahyahyahs

Original post by yahyahyahs
Ah cool :smile: Where else have you applied?

Aston, Leicester, Warwick and LSE :smile: Warwick's my top choice!
Reply 49
Original post by SarahLamb30

Original post by SarahLamb30
Does anybody know what the exam board mean when they say "narrative voices"? I know what one is, its just which aspects of the poem are we supposed to analyse? The language the narrator uses, does that come under narrative voice? So confused!

They mean the voice of the narrator. Which texts are you doing so then I can quote examples?
Reply 50
Original post by SOA Vamp
I think around 80% of ours were affected, loads went in for a remark and a few changed, and then AQA said they wouldn't look at any papers that had been remarked already. Same really! It seems that the really really high achieving ones did OK, but anyone else was screwed over. Kite Runner's my Section B text, but I'm just unsure how to deal with it. With Rossetti and Dubliners, they're poems/short stories and I can deal with them in sections. Thanks anyway :smile:

Aah sorry, didn't realise! Same, really! I'm not really sure how to revise it :confused: I could attack a piece of paper on all the themes, but not much else :/
Reply 51
Original post by greengables
I'm doing The Kite Runner, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Rossetti and the Ancient Mariner.

I'm doing exactly the same :biggrin:
Original post by Liam_G
I'm doing exactly the same :biggrin:

Oh cool! I think it's a really good mix, not really feeling the love for the Mariner though but it could be worse.

Which one do you think you'll do in Section A?
Reply 53
Original post by greengables
Oh cool! I think it's a really good mix, not really feeling the love for the Mariner though but it could be worse.

Which one do you think you'll do in Section A?

I can't believe how many people dislike the Mariner, I really like it :s-smilie: what do you not like about it specifically?

I'm not sure which one I'll do for section A... I'm re-sitting btw because I got a C last time (one mark off a B :redface:). I did Kite Runner last time, I wanted to do Curious Incident but really disliked the question. The big mistake I made was that I spent 20 minutes deciding on what question to do :facepalm: and it messed up my timings.

I already have an A in the coursework, and I'm hoping for an A in the exam this time around *fingers crossed*.

I might do the Mariner, unless the question is about 'time' in which case I think I might just cry. :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by RoseRequiem

I'm also resitting, was only 7 marks off an A. I heard rumours that our examiners last year marked loads of papers wrong though, maybe they ****ed up ours too! :tongue:

I'm doing Gatsby, Birdsong, Thomas Hardy poerty and W.H. Auden poetry.

How are you all revising? I'm trying to learn a few quotes off by heart so I don't spend ages flicking through books to find specific parts (big time waster). What I learned from last year is to really answer the question, and not keep chanting in my head 'form, structure language'... because it should come naturally when writing the answer!

hi
i'm doing Gatsby too. How have you been told to structure the answer to the question???
Reply 55
Original post by sbubbles

Original post by sbubbles
Really! I didn't know this! I took this exam in June and got a B which I was pleased with as I found the exam quite difficult!

I did The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, Auden and Rossetti :smile:

what quesions do you think may come up on Gatsby this january 2011?
Original post by karema66
hi
i'm doing Gatsby too. How have you been told to structure the answer to the question???

Well, we were told by our teacher to do an introductory paragraph outlining a bit of context of the text you were going to write about; a paragraph on form; a paragraph on structure; a paragraph on language; and a concluding paragraph.

BUT this is exactly what I did for my exam and came out with a B. Since then we have completed two past papers in class which have been marked and came out as A's, and for those, I basically kept 'form, structure, language' in my head - but also thought about what effect these added to the text, to what purpose they would serve, and how a modern reader of our time would react compared to the reception of the readers of that time.

I implore you to purchase a copy of the AS English Literature B revision guide written specifically for the AQA exam, because it explains things like: narrative voice; destination; characters; etc in much greater detail and that is exactly what the examiners are looking for.

Good luck!!
Reply 57

Well, we were told by our teacher to do an introductory paragraph outlining a bit of context of the text you were going to write about; a paragraph on form; a paragraph on structure; a paragraph on language; and a concluding paragraph.

BUT this is exactly what I did for my exam and came out with a B. Since then we have completed two past papers in class which have been marked and came out as A's, and for those, I basically kept 'form, structure, language' in my head - but also thought about what effect these added to the text, to what purpose they would serve, and how a modern reader of our time would react compared to the reception of the readers of that time.

I implore you to purchase a copy of the AS English Literature B revision guide written specifically for the AQA exam, because it explains things like: narrative voice; destination; characters; etc in much greater detail and that is exactly what the examiners are looking for.

Good luck!!

Thank you...gosh your teacher must be fab.Ours haven't done anything and im soo scared now coz i wasn't told about any of the stuff that you wrote. I just keep re-reading. i'm on OCR so i dont think it may be the same but i'll keep your advice in my mind. Good luck hope you do really well...which you probably will.

good luck to you aswell.
Reply 58
Bleuhh, trying to find bits to talk about for AO2 in Chapter 2 of The Great Gatsby in case it comes up in the exam, anyone had any luck?
Reply 59
Ooh if only we could combine threads! :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1494719

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending