The Student Room Group

Who caused the war on Terror: Muslims or American Foreign Policy?

Poll

US Foreign Policy or Muslims?

9/11 'started' the War on Terror, around 3000 were killed. The attackers were Muslim, but was that the beginning, or was the beginning the escalation of American Foreign Policy on Muslim countries.

Just one example:

500.000 Children died in Iraq due to sanctions, New Mexico Governor & Bill Clinton's Ambassador to the U.N. Bill Richardson supports 'Mad' Albright on the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children in pursuit of U.S. foreign policy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1YkQs5nXQ

Madeleine Albright also thinks the price was worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIX1CP9qr4&feature=related

So 9/11 = 300
US Sanctions on Iraq: 500.000 children dead.

Yet, people want to live in their fairytale world, that the whole world was in peace before those evil Muslims attacked the god-fearing US of A.

Scroll to see replies

That 'war on terror' started before 9/11, can't say who came first.
Reply 2
nah, america gets what america wants, and anyone with an ounce of intelligence would take news stories with a pinch of salts, they're both to blame but america's out of order trying to rule the world :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by SomaliMan
9/11 'started' the War on Terror, around 3000 were killed. The attackers were Muslim, but was that the beginning, or was the beginning the escalation of American Foreign Policy on Muslim countries.

Just one example:

500.000 Children died in Iraq due to sanctions, New Mexico Governor & Bill Clinton's Ambassador to the U.N. Bill Richardson supports 'Mad' Albright on the deaths of 500,000 Iraqi children in pursuit of U.S. foreign policy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S1YkQs5nXQ

Madeleine Albright also thinks the price was worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIX1CP9qr4&feature=related

So 9/11 = 300
US Sanctions on Iraq: 500.000 children dead.

Yet, people want to live in their fairytale world, that the whole world was in peace before those evil Muslims attacked the god-fearing US of A.

it should be 'Al Q.' and the US Foreign Policy
Reply 4
Original post by getfunky!
it should be 'Al Q.' and the US Foreign Policy

Yeah right, read through some of the Political threads on this forum, they hardly ever mention Qaeda, its Muslims this Muslims that.
Original post by amsie/
nah, america gets what america wants, and anyone with an ounce of intelligence would take news stories with a pinch of salts, they're both to blame but america's out of order trying to rule the world :frown:

out of what order?
both tbf.
Reply 7
Original post by KingofSpades
out of what order?

well they act like they're above all other countries and have loads of double standards :s-smilie:
Reply 8
why is this poll muslims vs americans??? not all muslims are involved- most of malaysia is muslim and they don't attack anyone :frown:
Probably mainly US foreign policy. Bush was a massive neocon, so it's not overly surprising.
Why are the americans (an us.) fighting the 'war on terror'.
Do they not remember the war on crime in the 20's? they lost.
Do they not remember the war on alcohol in prohibition? they lost.
Do they not remember the war on drugs? they are still losing.

War on terror?
We will lose.

Its a mish/mash of muslim ideology in the wrong context being taken to extremes.
And american ignorance.
I think that anyone who thinks it is explicitly about American foreign policy is as crazy as someone who thinks it's explicitly about 9/11. The world can't be compartmentalised into such things - nothing occurs in isolation. History isn't a series of disconnected events that occur at the whim of a few men in Washington or a cave in Afghanistan - it's a long line of events that directly impact those after them and are directly informed by those before them. America isn't trying to "rule the world", it's trying to sway things in its favour, just like every single other country out there. Only, due to its size and industrial power, it tends to be better at it than most countries, as is usually the case with superpowers. In times gone by it meant very literally taking over the world, and it's gradually come to mean more about soft power. But anyone who thinks the leaders in the Middle East are any different are crazy. Arab leaders do everything they can to avoid accepting Palestinian refugees, because they're far more useful as a political football to be used against Israel. Likewise, you have many many madras in Afghanistan and Pakistan and Yemen teaching kids nothing but to hate the west - so, to those people at least, it's nothing to do with American foreign policy directly. If their teachers told them to hate South Korea because of its foreign policy, they'd hate South Korea because of their foreign policy.

I'm not saying the answer to the OP is "muslims", I'm saying there's no possible way you can delineate a clear line between the two - and, indeed, there are far, far, far more reasons than just those two. Also, holding any one side in greater moral esteem (especially when resorting to a simple numbers game on death counts) seems weird when both sides are basically doing the same thing in terms of motive. The only real area upon which they can be judged is their methods. Incidentally, I also disagree with the suggestion that "death as a result of sanctions" = "murder". I can't claim to save your life because I didn't push you in front of a bus when I had the opportunity to. Likewise, I don't think it can be reasonable to say that I killed someone because I didn't sell them my food.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Blackwater has its share in blowing people up, even the Afghan government is saying this, those 500.000 killed was before 9/11, before Muslims started blowing infidels up.
Reply 13
Russians started war on terror.
Reply 14
If you want to be pedantic, then you could technically blame certain aspects of Islamic culture that began the idea/cult of terror-inspiring attacks on individuals/groups with the promise of eternity in paradise after being drugged and whipped up into a frenzy. Without that, would we be in the same position now? Who knows...

It appears in2deep doesn't like these pesky things known as 'facts'. Shame.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
i think a bit of both, but the ppl that triggered it were/are the so called "islamic terrorists", but killing urself and innocent ppl, muslims or non muslims, has nothing to do with islam. period!
The muslims. It's always the bloody ragheads.
The Muslims caused the war on terror. And for the record the 9/11 terrorists were not even from Iraq they were Saudis.
Reply 18
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
The muslims. It's always the bloody ragheads.

Was that sarcasm?

Anyway, I think it's a bit of both.
I find it ironic that all muslims are blamed even though in southeast Asia none of the muslims have been part of the whole terrorism/western hatred thing.

Either way, it's not justifiable for the muslims that do these things, and muslim terrorist groups are let of the hook.
Original post by No Man
Was that sarcasm?

Anyway, I think it's a bit of both.
I find it ironic that all muslims are blamed even though in southeast Asia none of the muslims have been part of the whole terrorism/western hatred thing.

Either way, it's not justifiable for the muslims that do these things, and muslim terrorist groups are let of the hook.

No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending