The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Firaila
It's a brilliant film, I'd recommend it highly if you haven't already seen it

I agree! I seen it a while back. :smile: Just randomly popped into my head as I was about to watch No Country For Old Men.
Reply 5421
Original post by cambo211
I cannot stand the Narnia films.

I don't know what it is about them.

Cause they're ****.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Possible Dark Tower film(s)? Wonder how they are going to do adapt the books. Viggo Mortensen would be an almost perfect choice for the role though.

I've only the read The Gunslinger, and that was years ago. From what I remember... I'd prefer DDL to play the lead.

Also, Darren Aronofsky is directing The Wolverine. It's a while away but...

Edit: Oooh, the writer for The Usual Suspects (Christopher McQuarrie) is doing the screenplay!
(edited 13 years ago)
Have you read a lot of Discworld books? I've been thinking of getting into them and the large list of books is pretty daunting as to finding a place to start. The only one I've read from my childhood is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. I've been told that most of them are standalone books with some story archs. The TV adaptations that are sometimes on look pretty ... bad. :tongue:

As an expert on the series, which books would you recommend reading in the series as a starting point or as the best of the series?

Pratchett :coma:

My favourite is Going Postal.

Just ignore the tv adaptation of it :unimpressed:
Edited the wrong post. :colondollar:

Nobody noticed. :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5424
Time to watch 300...
Edited the wrong post. :colondollar:

Nobody noticed. :ninja:

As per usual i did :p:
oh look.

this is sparta, what a surprise :yawn:
I'm loving the Javier Bardem/Anton Chigurh parts in No Country For Old Men.
Possible Dark Tower film(s)? Wonder how they are going to do adapt the books. Viggo Mortensen would be an almost perfect choice for the role though.

I really, really don't want them to adapt The Dark Tower to film. If they do, I won't watch it, for the same reason I didn't watch The Golden Compass or any of the Discworld adaptations.

Has anybody seen The Last King of Scotland?

Welcome to the thread! :h:

Awesome film.
Original post by channy

I've only the read The Gunslinger, and that was years ago. From what I remember... I'd prefer DDL to play the lead.

You should read the sequels when you get the chance. Really good books! Hm, another good choice. I'm still leaning towards Viggo though as a personal choice. :tongue:

Original post by Jace Falco
I really, really don't want them to adapt The Dark Tower to film. If they do, I won't watch it, for the same reason I didn't watch The Golden Compass or any of the Discworld adaptations.

I feel the same way. Not sure how they are going to adapt it to the big screen. I guess we will have to wait and see. There is the unlikely chance it may turn out well.

Lucky you for not having watched The Golden Compass - it was awful. It was lacking in everything that made the books so good.

Original post by cambo211

Just ignore the tv adaptation of it :unimpressed:

Thankfully, I've steered clear of those. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm loving the Javier Bardem/Anton Chigurh parts in No Country For Old Men.

Yeah. Creepy assassin is creepy.
Really enjoyed No Country For Old Men.
Reply 5432
You should read the sequels when you get the chance. Really good books! Hm, another good choice. I'm still leaning towards Viggo though as a personal choice. :tongue:

I feel the same way. Not sure how they are going to adapt it to the big screen. I guess we will have to wait and see. There is the unlikely chance it may turn out well.

Lucky you for not having watched The Golden Compass - it was awful. It was lacking in everything that made the books so good.

Thankfully, I've steered clear of those. :tongue:

I've always toyed with the idea of DDL as Aragorn, ever since there was an article in Empire a few years back about how Viggo seemed to be born for the role. I frigging love Viggo as Aragorn, I do I do.

But DDL as Hawkeye...GOSH. Forget Orlando, DDL is where it's at:

Sorry for the spam, but he's my man crush.
Reply 5433
I need to watch Dances with Wolves...
:gah:

Spoiler

Glad Fox picked up the franchise though, do you think it may be rebooted in future by someone else? Seems like if Harry Potter was ever to be rebooted in 10, 20 or 30 years, the Narnian films would also seem like a good candidate.

I was just about to post that as well - reading the books again. The recent release has got me into the mood to read them again. Alas, lots other books to read first.

Have you read a lot of Discworld books? I've been thinking of getting into them and the large list of books is pretty daunting as to finding a place to start. The only one I've read from my childhood is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. I've been told that most of them are standalone books with some story archs. The TV adaptations that are sometimes on look pretty ... bad. :tongue:

As an expert on the series, which books would you recommend reading in the series as a starting point or as the best of the series?

I haven't actually watched Tron yet. :p: Haven't really had time, and don't want to watch it if it's not in the IMAX. I think I'm going to see it next week.

I guess it's always a possibility that it could be rebooted, but I'd struggle to see how they'd drastically improve on the first film (compared to Potter, which could easily be improved in 20 years with better child actors and being able to take more liberties with the story).

Discworld books are pretty much make up the majority of fiction I read now and I've read a fair few. I don't really like the first two that much, so I probably wouldn't recommend starting at the beginning. My favourite characters are a journalist (The Truth, which would be a pretty good starting point) and a reformed conman turned postman/minter (Going Postal, Making Money).

This is a pretty good reading order guide, pick a topic you like a look of and dive in. The Industrial Revolution is my favourite, so you'd start at Moving Pictures (which is about films, so would be a good starting point for a fanatic :p:) and then move onto The Truth, Monstrous Regiment (which is probably my favourite book, it's a fantastic story) before Going Postal and Making Money. Pretty good introduction to some of the very best he has to offer.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5435
Original post by channy
I've always toyed with the idea of DDL as Aragorn, ever since there was an article in Empire a few years back about how Viggo seemed to be born for the role. I frigging love Viggo as Aragorn, I do I do.

But DDL as Hawkeye...GOSH. Forget Orlando, DDL is where it's at:

Sorry for the spam, but he's my man crush.

:sogood: My favourite actor of all time. What's your favourite DDL movie? Mine is In The Name of the Father. :yep:

I watched Face / Off yesterday. I really liked most of it, but was disappointed by a couple of maudlin scenes, and the enormous letdown that was the ending. :frown:
Films today I shall be watching: Cars, Prince Caspian, Avatar.
Reply 5437
Original post by Phalanges
Films today I shall be watching: Cars, Prince Caspian, Avatar.

I quite liked Cars.
I was not a fan of Avatar at all.
I thought the story line was a cliché (typical James Cameron) and very predictable. The visual effects were outstanding of course but that did not make the film enjoyable.
Does anyone else agree ?

Titanic was a good James Cameron film (I know many disagree) but mostly because he had the back story of an actual event to keep the overly used Romeo and Juliet story from becoming dull.
Avatar sucked balls. Didn't help I saw it after the massive hype machine, caught it on BluRay. It looked great but it had no substantive story really and was about an hour too long.

TOMORROW MORNING - MUPPET'S CHRISTMAS CAROL - 8.50am - CHANNEL 4

Latest