The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow School of Art: 2011 Applications

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has applied recently to gsa? I applied at the start of Dec and submitted my visual material there on the 14th of Dec. Got confirmation etc but have recieved no information about offers....anyone else going through the same thing?

It is a stressful time...:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I'm considering applying for architecture there.. Is it a nice school?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by theonelink
I'm considering applying for architecture there.. Is it a nice school?

One of my really great friends is applying for architecture. She's freaking out about submitting her portfolio, though. Majorly freaking out. :redface:
Original post by EcstaticMuse
One of my really great friends is applying for architecture. She's freaking out about submitting her portfolio, though. Majorly freaking out. :redface:

Same lol. I'm sure most people are
Original post by theonelink
Same lol. I'm sure most people are

I keep telling her she's got good material, but I don't think anything I say will ease her worries, haha!
Original post by EcstaticMuse
I keep telling her she's got good material, but I don't think anything I say will ease her worries, haha!

I've got a few drawings from school lol. The uni's want like 10-20 pieces of work too, guess its time I started doing some drawing:colondollar:

I want see if I get an interview first though. If I spend like 100 hours or so creating a portfolio to find out i'm not even getting to interview stage i'll be suicidal
Reply 6
I have applied to GSA to do Painting and Printmaking :smile: I also submitted my UCAS and supporting visuals at the start of December. Dont think we have to worry about not hearing back yet though because I dont think that they start giving out interviews/offers (depending on the course) until late January/February. Really hope I get an interview, its such a good course :P
Reply 7
Original post by soofle
I have applied to GSA to do Painting and Printmaking :smile: I also submitted my UCAS and supporting visuals at the start of December. Dont think we have to worry about not hearing back yet though because I dont think that they start giving out interviews/offers (depending on the course) until late January/February. Really hope I get an interview, its such a good course :P

I knowww :smile: I'm loving the course prospectus and Glasgow atmosphere! (from northern ireland...lol)
If you get an interview are you including same works from your efolio into your cased portfolio?

Also...hope their not that dependant on grades...I'm sitting on ACC (A in art) n am having resits at the minute and they are awful! hahaa..:colondollar:

Have you heard of any interview based questions they ask? :confused:
Reply 8
I know!! At the open day everyone was really helpful and friendly :P

If I manage to get myself an interview I think I will include a few bits from my efolio, because there were photos of quite a few sketchbook pages, and it links to the work I have done subsequently....If that makes any sense!! Hahaaha :L

I asked at the open day about grades, and they said that they gave places based on the interview and portfolio and that the grades werent essential :biggrin:

I am well stressed thinking about what they might ask! :s-smilie: But from what my teachers have said, they will go through your personal statement and your portfolio asking questions and getting you to talk about your ideas etc Knowing me Ill get spazzed out and say something stupid :L hahaa!!
Reply 9
Original post by soofle
I know!! At the open day everyone was really helpful and friendly :P

If I manage to get myself an interview I think I will include a few bits from my efolio, because there were photos of quite a few sketchbook pages, and it links to the work I have done subsequently....If that makes any sense!! Hahaaha :L

I asked at the open day about grades, and they said that they gave places based on the interview and portfolio and that the grades werent essential :biggrin:

I am well stressed thinking about what they might ask! :s-smilie: But from what my teachers have said, they will go through your personal statement and your portfolio asking questions and getting you to talk about your ideas etc Knowing me Ill get spazzed out and say something stupid :L hahaa!!

Yeeaa see i was gonna include work from efolio too..cus its sorta the best work ive done soo far..ish lol..
Thaaaank goodness about grades! hahaa! Im not exactly the brightest bulb!:stupido2:

Yeaaa i know me too! I heard some unis ask what other places you have applied?? what a bomb to drop! eeeeeeek! n yuuuup im the same..i'll go all goofy in their presence! hahhaaa

Hopefully its not that much longer to wait until we hear feedback from portfolios...month or so maybe...Hope you get an interview!!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by soofle

Hey! saw that youve applied for painting and printmaking too! at least ur application was sent in december, my tutor only sent mine on tuesday! You don't have to worry about hearing back . I had an interview for painting/printmaking last year and they told me in feb! i thought they had forgotten about me but they must go through all applications! hope i get interviewed again! p'folios are stressful things :smile:
Reply 11
Hey :smile: Well, i made sure I sent mine within plenty of time because my tutor is......less than reliable lets just say!! :L Oh good! I am just trying not to worry about it too much :P Oh yes, portfolios are very stressful things!! Hopefully we'll both get interviewed :wink: What was your interview like last year, just out of interest? :biggrin:
Reply 12
Hi there ! Im in the same case :colondollar: I dont know when I supposed to get a response fro the college. I applied last year on december. What about the interviews? any information about it ? lol ... hope you can make it to GSA as well .. all the best
Reply 13
Oh and also, does anyone know how they notifiy you if you get an interview? Is is just through track on UCAS? Post? Email? lol :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by soofle
Oh and also, does anyone know how they notifiy you if you get an interview? Is is just through track on UCAS? Post? Email? lol :biggrin:

Umm i think for interview stage ur notified by email...or post...depending on which preference you put down on ur ucas application ie. mobile, post, email etc....but most likely its through email...

After interview, their decision of unsuccessful, conditional or unconditional should appear before 31st of march on ur ucas track(depending on when ur application was sent it could mean waiting until may...) ..depending on when ur interview is, u would normally hear of results within an average of three weeks...

As far as I have heard...interviews are done in batches, assessed upon receipt, therefore that should mean that the earliest applications will be first in line? lik september interviews..then october..then november and so on...

I think this info is correct :s-smilie: anybody heard anything???:biggrin:
Reply 15
i also applied during early december, bt i only receive an email abt the fee status, no portfolio request
Reply 16
Original post by shinruh
i also applied during early december, bt i only receive an email abt the fee status, no portfolio request

What did you apply for? didnt you submit an efolio over the web?
Reply 17
Original post by soofle
Hey :smile: Well, i made sure I sent mine within plenty of time because my tutor is......less than reliable lets just say!! :L Oh good! I am just trying not to worry about it too much :P Oh yes, portfolios are very stressful things!! Hopefully we'll both get interviewed :wink: What was your interview like last year, just out of interest? :biggrin:[/QUO

Last year i was notified in feb by email then a letter in the post. I went along with my portfolio and happened to be the only 17 year old amongst 19 and 20 year olds so i immediately felt at a disadvantage especially as i was up against students doing foundation! The tutors interviewing me were really keen to know more about my work and they ask alot about ur personal interests. They did tell bring up my age lol but you get a tour of the studios(which are amazing) and your really encouraged. Even if you dont get in its good to have experience talking about your ideas/inspirations behind your work. Yeah i sent my online material 3 days ago :smile: phew! all i gota do now is wait. I gave more variety this year, i hope it pays off. Last year they only required 10 images NOT 25! Good luck! where else have u applied?? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by LAMARY
Hi there ! Im in the same case :colondollar: I dont know when I supposed to get a response fro the college. I applied last year on december. What about the interviews? any information about it ? lol ... hope you can make it to GSA as well .. all the best

hey :smile:
is it year 1 your applying for? Are you in foundation?They got back to me last year at the end of February! and my interview was in march :biggrin: but u ring up and book what day u want to be interviewed! U leave ur portfolio in, get a tour of the school then you get interviewed. Its not that scary. Its good experience for talking about your work! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 19
Yeah, I am only 17 too, doing A levels and I live no-where near Scotland, so my Art teachers kind of had no idea what GSA were looking for in my statement or images! Ooh, thats useful to know about the interviews :P Yeah, I tried to get variety in my images too, 25 is a bloody high number though lol :P I am also applying to foundation at CCW in London (Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon's combined foundation) and Oxford Brookes Foundation too :smile: Although Glasgow is definitely my first choice it would have been insane not to give myself backup! :smile: Where else are you applying? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending