The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mad Vlad
Did you enable caching? Once it's cached all the screens, it's as smooth as silk, even on my comparatively underpowered SanFran.

How'd you do that?
Original post by mikeyd85
How'd you do that?

On the LauncherPro Homescreen:
Press the Menu button and select Preferences
Advanced Settings
Memory Usage Settings
Tick the relevant cache boxes. :smile:

Original post by Kaph
From what I've read it seems it's coming with 2.2, with LG stating a 2.3 update will be available. LG don't lock the bootloaders though, so you should be able to whack a new ROM on easypeasy, compared to Moto.

Ooh that would be good :smile:
On another note, how do you replace the home screen app. I want to try slidescreen :smile:
Original post by wizard710
On another note, how do you replace the home screen app. I want to try slidescreen :smile:

Install a new app, press the home key and it'll ask which you want to use. I'd recommend downloading Home Switcher though if you want to try a few. It'll let you set the default rather easily.
Been playing Game Dev Story, pretty fun :yes:
Can anyone help me with this?
I had an Android phone, it was stolen and my SIM was subsequently blocked by the network (Orange).
Anyway, I was wondering, are App's stored on the SIM? Because I really do not enjoy the idea of someone going through my apps and things. Also, by "blocking" it, what exactly can said thief still do with my phone - can they look through photos, files, messages etc?
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Can anyone help me with this?
I had an Android phone, it was stolen and my SIM was subsequently blocked by the network (Orange).
Anyway, I was wondering, are App's stored on the SIM? Because I really do not enjoy the idea of someone going through my apps and things. Also, by "blocking" it, what exactly can said thief still do with my phone - can they look through photos, files, messages etc?

The phone stores the apps. Whether the phone is still usable I don't know, but if it is, whoever has it has full access to your apps, data and numbers. Even if the phone is totally locked down, removing the memory card will still give them access to some of your data.

I'd highly recommend that in future you look at products like Wavesecure, which allows you to track, lock, backup and wipe your phone remotely from a web browser.
Wavesecure what will it work on?
Original post by blueray
Wavesecure what will it work on?

https://www.wavesecure.com/download-pc.aspx

Have a look. :smile:
lol it costs like 20 pound ill just keep my pin :biggrin:
Original post by blueray
lol it costs like 20 pound ill just keep my pin :biggrin:

I got involved with it during beta, so it's free forever to me! :biggrin:
Original post by mikeyd85
The phone stores the apps. Whether the phone is still usable I don't know, but if it is, whoever has it has full access to your apps, data and numbers. Even if the phone is totally locked down, removing the memory card will still give them access to some of your data.

I'd highly recommend that in future you look at products like Wavesecure, which allows you to track, lock, backup and wipe your phone remotely from a web browser.

Ahh thank you. Bad luck :/ I'll just have to be more careful in the future, but I will definitely look into that when I get my replacement, so thank you.
Reply 2934
Did you enable caching? Once it's cached all the screens, it's as smooth as silk, even on my comparatively underpowered SanFran.

Ah you have a San Francisco?

Well I was wondering basically my current phone just flat out isn't working, switching itself on and off at will occasionally in a phone call the speaker will just die (Not before deafening me mind you). All this would make me sad if it wasn't for the fact it means I now have a reason to finally dump Symbian that I can roll with, before it just seemed a nice plan but not really cost effective.

I'm currently on a Vodafone contract and was looking for an Android handset I could use with my sim card, android as I already use a lot of google services and it would just seem to streamline everything I do really nicely.

Now I've heard about how easy it is to unlock a SanFran and this made me interested what made me really interested was the price though I must admit the whole TFT, OLED situation irked me somewhat.

My other option is slightly more expensive at £140 in total for a HTC Wildfire on Voda.

In your opinion has the SanFran been good to you? What things do you like about it? What do you dislike?

Is the knock in build quality worth the better resolution on the screen between it and the Wildfire.

My budget currently stands at around £200-£250 and the £110 of the SanFran leaves me quite a bit left over, that and there are very few PAYG android phones out there it seems and Sim free is just stupidly expensive, unless anyone has some recommendations that is :O

All in all I appreciate any help you can give me. :smile:
Just as a note, the desire can be got for about your budget used.

Original post by G8D
Totally got ExplodedAndy for xmas :awesome:

What's that
Original post by BillV3
Ah you have a San Francisco?

Well I was wondering basically my current phone just flat out isn't working, switching itself on and off at will occasionally in a phone call the speaker will just die (Not before deafening me mind you). All this would make me sad if it wasn't for the fact it means I now have a reason to finally dump Symbian that I can roll with, before it just seemed a nice plan but not really cost effective.

I'm currently on a Vodafone contract and was looking for an Android handset I could use with my sim card, android as I already use a lot of google services and it would just seem to streamline everything I do really nicely.

Now I've heard about how easy it is to unlock a SanFran and this made me interested what made me really interested was the price though I must admit the whole TFT, OLED situation irked me somewhat.

My other option is slightly more expensive at £140 in total for a HTC Wildfire on Voda.

In your opinion has the SanFran been good to you? What things do you like about it? What do you dislike?

Is the knock in build quality worth the better resolution on the screen between it and the Wildfire.

My budget currently stands at around £200-£250 and the £110 of the SanFran leaves me quite a bit left over, that and there are very few PAYG android phones out there it seems and Sim free is just stupidly expensive, unless anyone has some recommendations that is :O

All in all I appreciate any help you can give me. :smile:

Ooh... rubbish. Your quote must have been quoted off my WQM widget - I didn't see this. I can't comment on the comparison between the two; I've never used a HTC Wildfire.

In my experience over the last 3 months, my San Fran has been a little workhorse. The ROM I'm using has developed a bit of a flaw with the Contacts app, but that's not ZTE's fault and it's not stopping me from using the phone normally (I'm waiting for a proper Froyo build to come into Beta before I upgrade the ROM).

I like how fully featured the phone is. I love the screen (though I am on the OLED version) both the resolution and the colour reproduction are fantastic. The battery life isn't bad, actually. On the downside, some aspects of the phone are a bit poor - the camera and its lack of flash, and the phone lacks a bit of horsepower with apps like the gallery (though that may be a function of the ROM, again) and things like Angry Birds. From what I gather though, with a Froyo ROM, the phone really gains some legs. :smile:

For the price, it's a 9/10 phone, IMO.
Reply 2938
Ooh... rubbish. Your quote must have been quoted off my WQM widget - I didn't see this. I can't comment on the comparison between the two; I've never used a HTC Wildfire.

In my experience over the last 3 months, my San Fran has been a little workhorse. The ROM I'm using has developed a bit of a flaw with the Contacts app, but that's not ZTE's fault and it's not stopping me from using the phone normally (I'm waiting for a proper Froyo build to come into Beta before I upgrade the ROM).

I like how fully featured the phone is. I love the screen (though I am on the OLED version) both the resolution and the colour reproduction are fantastic. The battery life isn't bad, actually. On the downside, some aspects of the phone are a bit poor - the camera and its lack of flash, and the phone lacks a bit of horsepower with apps like the gallery (though that may be a function of the ROM, again) and things like Angry Birds. From what I gather though, with a Froyo ROM, the phone really gains some legs. :smile:

For the price, it's a 9/10 phone, IMO.

I went ahead and got it in the end, the Wildfire has a resolution of 320x240 and it has to be said the res of the SanFran for the price is stunning, it's so crisp compared to my old mobile.

Seems I got a TFT screen but that's still fine the screen is still bright and colours vibrant (Obviously not as much as OLED but still very pleasing to the eyes)

Must admit I haven't really noticed the horsepower issue as I believe after all it does have the same CPU as the HTC Hero and a staggering 512Mb RAM at this price point is just amazing really. Then again that could also be as I'm running Froyo on it and as you said it does apparently gain legs. Also something I found odd by default hardware acceleration is turned off while the phone is capable of it =/

All in all at the price I paid it's a superb little phone, unlocked with no fuss and then de-branded and all in all I really do like it.

Also coming from Symbian to Android the OS blew me away with how much you can do compared to Symbian, I'd used Android before on a friends device but didn't get much time to look through it and I heard it was good but Android just makes Symbian look like it's still stuck in the late 90's :eek:

EDIT: Is it wrong I want a new back cover for it without the Orange logo? haha
(edited 13 years ago)
There is rumours that the SGS2 will be announced at CES or MWC

Latest

Trending

Trending