The Student Room Group

The bullying argument against gay adoption...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiZZeeKiD
Ahhh, OK - this is just my opinion, you can think I'm wrong, thas cool. It's not even about the bullying thing, I just think its wrong for a child to be bought up by homosexual parents. I'm sorry but thats just the way I feel...

People aren't slating you because they don't want you to have an opinion. People are slating you because you've been repeatedly asked to explain/clarify/justify your opinion and you either can't or won't do it. And that makes you look like a bigoted idiot, to be honest.
Original post by Converse
You are a complete and utter retard. The thread is not about people having kids, it's about adoption. Come back when you are able to differentiate between the two.

Well that was unnecessarily rude, and there isn't much difference is there? If gay people could have children 'naturally' it would be no different.
Sorry I thought I had read the OP.

For some reason I read the one that started with ''Why give the bullies more ammunition'' as the first post.

I have changed it now. Sorry OP.
Original post by Entangled
Hmmm, I'll pitch in my two cents I suppose. I have the idea in my head that parenting is a training structure for life. With that in mind, I'm not sure how much same-sex parents/guardians can pass on to adopted children - bringing the argument closer to home, my dad taught me how to do the DIY stuff, my mum taught me the cooking stuff. For me, each sex is superior to the other in certain ways and I'd feel that children adopted into a same-sex parents family would be missing out on different parts of their life training.

To call it as black and white as that is perhaps unfair. But I'd go ahead and take it in a sports direction - a footballer has a coach working on his heading and another coaching working on his tackling. He's developing a balance of play in the air and on the ground. The same player then has two heading coaches or two tackling coaches - he ends up being proficient in one aspect of his game, but neglects the other.

So should people who don't prescribe to regular gender roles not be allowed to procreate?

I don't know which century you're from, but Jesus, Dad = DIY and Mum = cooking? That's ridiculous.
Woah, don't cry.

Firstly, you seem to think that the only alternative to a child who doesn't get adopted by homosexual parents is living in an orphanage. You're wrong. Homosexual couples can have their own children by using a surrogate, for example, therefore creating a child as opposed to giving one a better life who otherwise may not have had the opportunity.

Also, I don't think the law is necessarily going to be changed because of my opinions so actually I'm not going to "deny these kids the chance of a better life".

As I said before, call me as homophobic as you like, I have friends that are gay, so your words dont effect me, I just categorically disagree with homosexual couples being allowed to raise children. End of.

Way to prove you're a moron.
I don't give a flying **** how many gay friends you have. It's not a free pass to make homophobic comments.
Reply 45
Hmmm, I'll pitch in my two cents I suppose. I have the idea in my head that parenting is a training structure for life. With that in mind, I'm not sure how much same-sex parents/guardians can pass on to adopted children - bringing the argument closer to home, my dad taught me how to do the DIY stuff, my mum taught me the cooking stuff. For me, each sex is superior to the other in certain ways and I'd feel that children adopted into a same-sex parents family would be missing out on different parts of their life training.

To call it as black and white as that is perhaps unfair. But I'd go ahead and take it in a sports direction - a footballer has a coach working on his heading and another coaching working on his tackling. He's developing a balance of play in the air and on the ground. The same player then has two heading coaches or two tackling coaches - he ends up being proficient in one aspect of his game, but neglects the other.

this is the only real argument I see as valid.

However I have 2 things to say about it:

1) The alternative is a care home, as we are talking about adoption.
2) Your points are personal and so shouldnt form part of any general rule. It assumes that each parent has specific things to teach, which can be true but only on an individual basis
Reply 46

This argument also equally applies for single parents, and even parents in which one parents is away from home a lot. Clearly, a young person is benefitted by having a good role model in each sex, although the gender lines you identified are a little old-fashioned. Why can't dad teach you to cook? I can cook, so I see no reason why I couldn't teach my kids to cook.

The solution is not to exclude all these parents from the adoption process altogether. The solution is for these parents to give their children sufficent access to whatever it is they are missing in their immediate family, be it a grandfather, an aunt, a close friend of the family or whatever.
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
I agree with you bogroll, but unfortunately the TSR homo's have come to neg rep us so we must call in the care police.

Dont act like we are on the same side:mad:

I havent been negged because i havent offended anyone :u:
Reply 48
Original post by innerhollow
... I don't really understand this often-used argument. Yes, there is a possibility that a child would get bullied for having gay parents, but the list of things they could get bullied for is absolutely staggering! If bullies want to target you, they find something about you to make fun of, even if it's completely fictional.

Also, wasn't it the case not so long ago that the children of single parents and mixed race parents were susceptible to bullying? But that's not so common anymore, because we're now used to it. Why don't we do the same for LGBT parenting?

So, what I'm asking is, why do we keep submitting bullying as a reason against gay adoption exclusively?

Bullies dont need much to start on anyone...just if they are different in any way. Orphans need loving, stable homes of any kind after the emotional and physical abuse most suffer before they come to the orphanage and it doesnt matter who adopts as long as they love the child unconditionally for as long as they live....happiness is most important.
Reply 49
Original post by py0alb
Look, you're entitled to your opinions but you are a homophobe. Your second statement fit the definition of what the word "homophobe" means. Presuming that you are in favour of white heterosexual adoption:
If you are against mixed race adoption, you are discriminating based on race, and therefore a racist.
If you are against homosexual adoption, you are you are discriminating based on sexuality, and therefore a homophobe.

You can't change the definition of a word simply to try and make yourself feel better about your unpleasant bigoted opinions.

Honestly answer me: would you rather be raised by two loving and caring parents who happen to be both of the same sex, or would you rather grow up sleeping in an orphanage dormitory with no parents at all?

A kid from an orphanage would jump at the chance to be adopted by a homosexual couple, and would have a far happier life as a result. Who the **** are you to deny these kids the chance of a better life just because it doesn't fit into your disgusting backward and bigoted view of the world?

Jesus... are you real? Your black and white definitions and general ad hominem manor is completely moronic.

You can justify anything by comparing it to the worst case scenario, the sort of awful propaganda that starts wars and feuds, you think the BNP/EDL use reason and logic to recruit? No, they say DO YOU WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO BE RUN BY MUSLIMS AND FOREIGNERS WHO WILL PISS ON YOUR FACE AND KILL YOUR CHILDREN AND DEFILE YOU PARENTS GRAVES? NO.. WELL JOIN US.

I think you have fallen for the political correctness trap using such phrases as ' disgusting backward and bigoted view of the world' regarding everyone different as equal when there are so many obvious reasons let alone deeper ones why certain people will never be.

Let me ask you this, what is more backwards than letting two genders who cannot give birth raise a child? What is more bigoted than demanding people have rights based on their sexuality? i see no difference between this and Muslims calling for Sharia law in trials.

Im not a homophobe at all because i dont hate gay people and i dont fear gay people (what a homophobe is not 'someone who discriminates') I just thought i would meet your foolishness with the opposite.

My feelings on the issue? Well, i dont really care to be honest, im not overly keen on the idea but if there is relevant evidence and it gives a child a decent up bringing regardless then im happy with that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Woah, don't cry.

Firstly, you seem to think that the only alternative to a child who doesn't get adopted by homosexual parents is living in an orphanage. You're wrong. Homosexual couples can have their own children by using a surrogate, for example, therefore creating a child as opposed to giving one a better life who otherwise may not have had the opportunity.

Also, I don't think the law is necessarily going to be changed because of my opinions so actually I'm not going to "deny these kids the chance of a better life".

As I said before, call me as homophobic as you like, I have friends that are gay, so your words dont effect me, I just categorically disagree with homosexual couples being allowed to raise children. End of.

If they had their own child by in vitro or by a surrogate, would you still be against them raising it? Would you condone the child being take away?

If not, what's the difference between that child and an adopted one (assuming the child agrees to the adoption/volunteers for it)? There are so many children spending their lives in care because nobody adopts them. What, pray tell, is the alternative to being adopted to get out of care?
Reply 51
Woah, don't cry.

What difference does it make to the argument though? In fact, it makes you look worse since you're suggesting that the life of a child should be denied if the people who will bring them up are of the same sex.

Original post by Converse
Do you suffer from learning difficulties? The focus of this thread is adoption. Not having a child accidentally. Please return when you have sorted this drivel out.

The focus of this thread is if gay adoption is right. One of the arguments against it is an unstable family life, and one can argue that couples who have kids accidentally often don't have a financial or social plan in place for that child thus making their life potentially unstable, so it's a valid point.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by EggmanD
Jesus...

I have to say, this is probably the most rambling, incoherent and completely nonsensical reply I have ever received on TSR. You think its bigoted to propose that people have equal rights regardless of sexuality? :confused:

Btw:

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2].
Reply 53
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by py0alb
I have to say, this is probably the most rambling, incoherent and completely nonsensical reply I have ever received on TSR. You think its bigoted to propose that people have equal rights regardless of sexuality? :confused:

Btw:

Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2].

Where did you get that one from? I got mine from the Oxford dictionary so ill go with that one 'an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.' Aversion meaning a strong dislike which is more than a discrimination which i would think is more, 'i dont want a women driving my van because she is a women' work ethic.

I stated that it is a twisted bigotry to give people who are not naturally equal the same rights are those who are based on loose discrimination and hypocritical moral code..

I dont believe that, i just said it because you met someone with such utter nonsense i couldn't help myself.
Sorry dudes and dudettes, squeezing these in together to save on thread space.

Original post by missygeorgia
So should people who don't prescribe to regular gender roles not be allowed to procreate?

I don't know which century you're from, but Jesus, Dad = DIY and Mum = cooking? That's ridiculous.

You seemed to have invented the bit where I said that it shou[dn't be allowed (or you're blowing it out of proportion to try to secure some karma and your path to a sweet afterlife or something). I think that people not subscribing to the traditional gender roles may give an unbalanced preparation for life to their kids. It's perfectly work-around-able but I feel that it's not quite the genuine article. Secondly, that 'ridiculous' that you've highlighted happens to be my personal truth, so I'd welcome you to view yourself from the outside in - namely defending the upbringing of kids in certain households while attempting a put-down of my own situation.

Original post by Sereni
this is the only real argument I see as valid.

However I have 2 things to say about it:

1) The alternative is a care home, as we are talking about adoption.
2) Your points are personal and so shouldnt form part of any general rule. It assumes that each parent has specific things to teach, which can be true but only on an individual basis

I do agree that there's a situation that children on the adoption register sit between a rock and a place that may or may not hard, depending on who you speak to. I've just mentioned above that same-sex adoption can be perfectly workable, and that I just feel that it could be slightly more skewed than a different-sex household (on the most part at least). I completely agree that drawing points from my own experience shouldn't be manipulated into steadfast rules for everyone else, but I have to start my train of thought from somewhere.

Original post by py0alb
This argument also equally applies for single parents, and even parents in which one parents is away from home a lot. Clearly, a young person is benefitted by having a good role model in each sex, although the gender lines you identified are a little old-fashioned. Why can't dad teach you to cook? I can cook, so I see no reason why I couldn't teach my kids to cook.

The solution is not to exclude all these parents from the adoption process altogether. The solution is for these parents to give their children sufficent access to whatever it is they are missing in their immediate family, be it a grandfather, an aunt, a close friend of the family or whatever.

Personally, dad can't teach me to cook because he only has one recipe up his sleeve (makes a lovely mushroom risotto though). But on a slightly more serious note, because gender lines are old-fashioned doesn't mean that they're not still commonplace - I'm pretty sure that you could pull one hundred people off the street and get them to describe to you a kitchen scene, and that most would place the matriarch in there. I wouldn't consider it particularly controversial for dads to pass on, for example, cookery skills to their children - I mean, I plan to some day. I'd also have to agree with you with the point of encouraging the use of other relatives such households. It would have to be produced as advice really, you could never police that sort of thing, even if you wanted to. Shifting children off the list could prove to be cost-effective also, especially in these times of austerity and such.
My cousin has two 'mums' but he's never been bullied, most people today are accepting.

Yeah and I'd like to see you sharing with these "friends" your opinions regarding their parenting ability.

You can call it what you want but for your discriminations to not be unfair, and therefore homophobic, there has to be a justification for them, and one does not exist. Gay couples have categorically and pretty much undeniably been shown to be no worse at parenting than heterosexual couples.

I don't think you can be a very thoughtful person if you don't bother to consider the validity of your opinions beyond "I just don't think it's right" and leave it at that without even attempting at a reason why. That is the essence of bigotry and discrimination, so that is exactly what your views make you. A bigot. Why don't you think about it. There were people once upon a time who felt it "just wasn't right" for women to go to school, or black people to receive a fair wage.

I would sooner see a child raised by sensible gay parents than raised by someone who will teach them to be close-minded and bigoted in their opinions.
Original post by Anonymous
Simple solution: license all parents - thoroughly - especially those of which who are adopting.

How do you control people who have unplanned pregnancies but are not licensed?

Only reason i'm against MOST gay adoption is the parents tend to be very sexually permiscuous and very irritating. Why not just raise a child alongside a woman and find your sexual desires elsewhere? Stop rubbing off your unnatural homoness on your adopted (stolen) child.

That's a massive generalization.

If you were raising a child with a woman but were a gay man you would need to
-find a woman willing to have a child with you, knowing that you would not be attracted to her, would want to sleep with other people.
-eventually explain to the child why it is that you sleep with other people (and may be in a relationship with other people) than their mother.

How is an adopted child stolen?

As for surrogate mothers - it disgusts me that anyone would do that for a child they may never see again.

Why? They're doing something selfless for the couple receiving the baby, and it is entirely their decision.
Reply 59
Ignoring some of the more silly arguments (the idea that gay parents are more promiscuous and irritating was a corker by the way, anonymous), I have to say I can understand the bullying argument.

It's a bit of a myth that the choice is often gay parents or no parents. A social worker looking to place a white baby girl will have plenty of choice. It's when you're trying to place a black seven year old boy that a lack of potential adopters becomes an issue. Very often, there will be a choice between suitable straight parents and suitable gay parents.

I'm quite sure that if I had gay parents when I went to my small-town under-performing comprehensive school, life would've been hell - far far more so than if my parents were fat or black or whatever other examples people have brought up. Of course, the more something becomes a social norm, the less people will care. Even so, I'm gay and I wouldn't want to adopt a child as some sort of social pioneer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending