The Student Room Group

conditions

i recieved a conditional offer for math...
are oxford's conditions inflexible?

i'm italian and i have to get 95% in my final exam (wich is really hard, at least in my school) and 100\120 in the toefl ibt...

do you think that if i'll get sometihing like 94 % and 98 in the toefl, my place won't be confirmed?

many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Officially, they are not flexible at all. Really really try to make them, especially the language test should be possible. If, on result day, you have something along the lines of 94%, call them up and explain your situation. It might be that they say there is nothing you can do, but if lots of people don't make their conditions they might still give you a spot. But chances at that are pretty slim.
Reply 2
ok,
i ask because when i was there i heard about some people with AAA offers that still got in with AAB...
maybe i misunderstood
Reply 3
Original post by moritzplatz
ok,
i ask because when i was there i heard about some people with AAA offers that still got in with AAB...
maybe i misunderstood

You're right, it does happen. It's just quite rare, for every case where that happens there's a lot more where missing the condition just ment not getting in. It's not something you should count on, although it is something you should try if you do miss it.
what about other unis like york or st andrews?
i might not be able to achieve my abitur average as i'm not good in german in all the other subjects i have good grades, i'd hate it if this is ruining my universty entrance. any chances that they might be understanding?
Reply 5
oh ok...
i thought this way: they will know if you have the requirements in july, it's too late to reassignate a place, so the places they don't fill are empty-> less money to the college from the university...

but obviously a rule is a rule so i'll do my best to accomplish the conditions!
Reply 6
Original post by CoffeAddict
what about other unis like york or st andrews?
i might not be able to achieve my abitur average as i'm not good in german in all the other subjects i have good grades, i'd hate it if this is ruining my universty entrance. any chances that they might be understanding?

The same probably goes for them. I can't really say wheter they are more or less likely to take you when missing an offer. In general, it's just really rare and if it happens it's usually either because of special circumstances or when missing by a very small margin. But really really try to make the grade, and see this as a last resort.

oh ok...
i thought this way: they will know if you have the requirements in july, it's too late to reassignate a place, so the places they don't fill are empty-> less money to the college from the university...

but obviously a rule is a rule so i'll do my best to accomplish the conditions!

They give out more offers than places because they know that a couple of people will either miss their offer or choose to go to a different uni.
Reply 7
Someone I know missed their offer by 1 mark in an unrelated subject (with 100% in their chosen subject) and lost his place. Had a choral scholarship, too.
Original post by EdmundB
Someone I know missed their offer by 1 mark in an unrelated subject (with 100% in their chosen subject) and lost his place. Had a choral scholarship, too.

thats just harsh.

I really dont understand it, if i want to do maths and physics, why is it relevant what i got in the other 10 subjects, like german or music. The worst thing is that I have to do my Final Exams in german, i feel like there is need to explain the school system abit more... But cant be helped, I will try my best, somehow.
Reply 9
Original post by CoffeAddict
thats just harsh.

I really dont understand it, if i want to do maths and physics, why is it relevant what i got in the other 10 subjects, like german or music. The worst thing is that I have to do my Final Exams in german, i feel like there is need to explain the school system abit more... But cant be helped, I will try my best, somehow.

same condition :mad:

in italy in our final exam we have:

latin, italian, english, astronomy, math, physics, history, philosophy, drawing, history of art, sport (we can be asked about the rules of the volley or something like that :confused:)

i want to do math, i have 10\10 in math...i hate most of the others subject...

english a-levels are a joke, compared to our exam.
Reply 10
english a-levels are a joke, compared to our exam.

How you can say that, without ever having taken A-Levels is beyond me.

I could say, Oxford asking for such a high mark from you, suggests that your exams are easy.

I wouldn't, because I have no clue how your exam works.

Just be happy you have an offer, and try to make it.
Reply 11
Original post by Mann18
How you can say that, without ever having taken A-Levels is beyond me.

I could say, Oxford asking for such a high mark from you, suggests that your exams are easy.

I wouldn't, because I have no clue how your exam works.

Just be happy you have an offer, and try to make it.

a-levels are easier since you can choose the subjects.
btw oxford decided so, i'll have to work very hard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
a-levels are easier since you can choose the subjects.

Well that's just insane reasoning.

If the choices were between rocket science and neurosurgery that would make it easier than your exam?
Reply 13
i want to do math, i have 10\10 in math...i hate most of the others subject...

I bet if your offer included only good grades in maths though it would be pretty easy to just focus on that! They want the best candidates, and as your education system doesn't offer more than that amount of maths they have to compensate somehow. You're just unlucky!

ok,
maybe i misunderstood

maybe in the past - with grade inflation i can't see that being true any more without exceptional circumstances.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Mann18
Well that's just insane reasoning.

If the choices were between rocket science and neurosurgery that would make it easier than your exam?

it wouldn't

but the choises are between the normal subject ....
Reply 15
it wouldn't

but the choises are between the normal subject ....

Yes, but just being able to choose doesn't necessarily make it easier. The subjects will be difficult obviously.
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime
I bet if your offer included only good grades in maths though it would be pretty easy to just focus on that! They want the best candidates, and as your education system doesn't offer more than that amount of maths they have to compensate somehow. You're just unlucky!

maybe in the past - with grade inflation i can't see that being true any more without exceptional circumstances.

yes i'm unlucky...
btw i'm going to accomplish these conditions, fate can't defeat me :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Mann18
Yes, but just being able to choose doesn't necessarily make it easier. The subjects will be difficult obviously.

yes but you can choose the subjects you like! you are more motivated to study this way!
in italy you have to study all the subjects, even the ones you hate!
i have direct comparision to a levels as i spent a year in england doing the AS. And I must admit, its easier, you only have to focus on 4 subjects. Whereas we have 11. You get an A till 80% our A = 86%
Plus, the exams are only on half a year, we get grades over two years and the final exam is about the whole of 2 years. You can resit, we can't. Now try to constantly have in 11 different subjects only A's. The 1.5 abitur oxford wants for example would mean that i'm only allowed to get 13 = 86% and 12 = 81% points. And this over 2 years. Also does our exams require alot of transfer thinking, whereas i barley met this in As level (comparing maths and physics). The was one transfer question, in on maths exam i can remember, an i cann assure you 90% of the student had no clue. Im not saying that A-Level is that easy or anything, i'm sure you still have to work hard and alot.
Reply 19
yes but you can choose the subjects you like! you are more motivated to study this way!
in italy you have to study all the subjects, even the ones you hate!

It's a fallacy that people only take subjects they like.

Quick Reply

Latest