The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah_dru
I'd ask your tutor but I think either is possible. Most of the people my supervisor has have done sort of a statement about what they'll be writing about. We were told to take all of the key words and put them all together.

In the end, I made it a statement. Something along the lines of "Female Insanity in Victorian England: Attitudes and Understandings" and he said that it was fine. :smile:
Reply 81
I recently changed the focus of my dissertation slightly, so I'm now writing a second plan and a second 2,000 word sample for the deadline of...last Monday (I managed to blag an extension). Not a good start.
Reply 82
hey, is anyone studying american/european history? i'm thinking of doing my dissertation on european integration e.g looking at ECA, OEEC, ECSC. I don't know how to narrow down european integration though as this topic is so large! I need to focus on one specific topic, can anyone give me any suggestions??? :smile:
Reply 83
Re-scheduled my draft due date to AFTER the Christmas holiday. Trying to get it done before was far too optimistic. :o:

But I'm still enjoying it! I've got a couple of chapters almost finished, only three quarters of the total length to go! :biggrin:
Original post by doodle7
Mine is about the importance of alcohol as a part of student identities. This is a questionnaire I made a while ago http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27538607#post27538607 If you're procrastinating and don't mind wasting 10 minutes of your time helping me out it would be greatly appreciated! I promise to return the favour if you need it!

I'm in the research phase...which should have been done over summer but hey ho time schedules never go to plan! eeek. I'm kind of analysing as I write transcripts etc up. My golly gosh it isn't half a (metaphorical) ball ache!!

Sorry to quote as you posted some time ago but i did my dissertation on a similar subject to you :smile: (To make it easier for myself i just limited mine to just my University), started your lit review yet? I found that the hardest, couldn't find many UK studies!

-x-
Reply 85
Original post by baby_emmy
Sorry to quote as you posted some time ago but i did my dissertation on a similar subject to you :smile: (To make it easier for myself i just limited mine to just my University), started your lit review yet? I found that the hardest, couldn't find many UK studies!

-x-

Sweet! I'm finding it pretty interesting so it's good, but I haven't really found much that I didn't already know...!
I wrote my first lit. review last year, but it was awful! I didn't link it to identity enough so I need to go through it and find more references. I have found that most of the studies are US based though which is quite annoying because their drinking is completely different to ours, with it being illegal! I'm just trying to get a draft done at the moment - writing my analysis up...I'm putting all of the editing off until after Xmas! (It's due at the end of Jan).
Reply 86
Im, what they call, ****ting myself

Hand in is in early Feb 2011. Ive done about 4000 (out of 18000 limit) words, but barely any of it (infact, a couple of chapter headings) is on my literature review. Talking to other folk who have completed it and are on arranging interviews, making up surveys etc already.

Ive got one interview sorted for the start of january so i really need to have all of my review and methodology and stuff done for before then, plus i still need to arrange some more interviews with other folk, with enough time to transcribe it, analyse it etc

Oh christ

Im doing honours marketing and my subject is on relationship marketing and the "new supporter" in football in scotland/uk (catchy title eh?) i feel i must add. Just in case anyone knows any angles i can take to help me haha

I know none of this made sense but i just needed to vent and to get you kind internet folk to tell me im an idiot and i need to get my finger out

cheers

*dies*
Reply 87
I havent even started on my dissertation even though we were told to start late october. decided a title and was a assigned a supervisor back then to but now i want to completly change titles. im going to get january exams done and then have a word with my degree programme director to see if its possible if not il begrudgingly have to force myself to complete a dissertation i have no interested in.
i type this post more for myself then anything else. to somebody else this information is useless. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
Just remember to approach it in components, start sequentially and be concise. It is likely to be amended anyway. I've got an 80k one to work on!
(edited 13 years ago)
The guy recording the programmes I'm using screwed up because he "forgot there's a time difference between the UK and Germany":facepalm:. My plan over the hols is to watch the ones I have, find parts to transcribe and figure out how the transcription programme works.

I also have to spend 100 Euros or more on books :cry:
Reply 90
yeah i've only done intro/part of literature review due in April/May ...loool i don't even know the deadline i'm completely screwed...its all just too much..i just want to go to a land far far away looooool (just finished watching shrek on bbc 1 lool)
Reply 91
Just finished writing 3000 words, the first draft of my first chapter. Phew. Hopefully it's not complete twoddle.

I'm loving the research part, I've got a whole folder full of notes and references but condensing them into such a short wordcount is pretty tricky.

Now its time for Christmas Celebrations, woop! :reindeer:
Meant to ask the other day- is anyone else juggling a dissertation with essay writing and exams? How do you cope? Myself and friends at uni have said that we feel like the dissertation has to take a back seat at times which isn't ideal at all. I have the same dissertation, module essays and exams structure next semester as well and am really worried that I won't be spending enough time on the dissertation.
Reply 93
Might help you to get your typing job done by someone else.
For my dissertation and project report got the same done from outside, that to at good price of only 50 pence per page of typing.
Reply 94
haha...mine was over the phone...
Original post by robinson999
my project

How you getting on robinson? I've been majorly snowed under since like week 3 at uni. Haven't had a minute. But that's most of my lab work done since I started early and I've got a draft Introduction/Lit review which went down well with my supervisor thankfully!
Original post by hannah_dru
Meant to ask the other day- is anyone else juggling a dissertation with essay writing and exams? How do you cope? Myself and friends at uni have said that we feel like the dissertation has to take a back seat at times which isn't ideal at all. I have the same dissertation, module essays and exams structure next semester as well and am really worried that I won't be spending enough time on the dissertation.

Don't worry you'll get it done I'm sure. I've been the same. Since week 3 where we were assigned our projects I've had at least two submission/exam/presentation in every week since then. It's bloody hard but it has finally taught me to divide my time well. I also work Mon-Thurs 6pm-10pm so need to cram everything into daytime.

Also, my classes finished week 8 which left 4 weeks to concentrate solely on lab work which was basically 9-5 although I'd have an hour here and a couple of hours there. I used that time wisely to prepare presentations and study for tests.
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
How you getting on robinson? I've been majorly snowed under since like week 3 at uni. Haven't had a minute. But that's most of my lab work done since I started early and I've got a draft Introduction/Lit review which went down well with my supervisor thankfully!

well me and my group has to change our projects a few weeks ago, because the EPR spectrometer broke, so moved to computer based module and looking at hyperfine structure and mainly hyperfine interaction, on tyrosine protein, his wrote a few papers on it himself which helps, also he told me that one of the aims of this, is not only to have a project but publish it as well

i have all my results, i need to make gif from all the graph, as they show different angles, need to do a lit review got a ton off books out to do that and another plan, and maybe a intro, cos we had to change it we are behind in a way

my supervisor is like yeah upload what ever you do to window live thing we have set up and he will go through it and change it if need be
Original post by robinson999
well me and my group has to change our projects a few weeks ago, because the EPR spectrometer broke, so moved to computer based module and looking at hyperfine structure and mainly hyperfine interaction, on tyrosine protein, his wrote a few papers on it himself which helps, also he told me that one of the aims of this, is not only to have a project but publish it as well

i have all my results, i need to make gif from all the graph, as they show different angles, need to do a lit review got a ton off books out to do that and another plan, and maybe a intro, cos we had to change it we are behind in a way

my supervisor is like yeah upload what ever you do to window live thing we have set up and he will go through it and change it if need be

Aw thats great news about the possible publication! Shame you're a wee bit behind though, although I'm sure you'll be fine, did you guys get an extenstion? Everyone in my course got a weeks extension on the first draft submission because of the weather.

I'm also thinking about doing an extra experiment when I go back to properly test a new antibody at different concentrations as I wasn't getting very good binding at the regular conc., hopefully my supervisor will let me.

EDIT: I see yours is still sort of physical chemistry based. Rather you than me lol, luckily mines is pretty simple.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
Aw thats great news about the possible publication! Shame you're a wee bit behind though, although I'm sure you'll be fine, did you guys get an extenstion? Everyone in my course got a weeks extension on the first draft submission because of the weather.

I'm also thinking about doing an extra experiment when I go back to properly test a new antibody at different concentrations as I wasn't getting very good binding at the regular conc., hopefully my supervisor will let me.

EDIT: I see yours is still sort of physical chemistry based. Rather you than me lol, luckily mines is pretty simple.

no extension, nothing is due in till the 25th fed when Project plan (500 word plan, Risk Assessment, Progress Monitoring Forms) + (CV and career action plan) are all due in, the major thing there is the plan, and yes we get 5% of our mark from CV and career action
the Scientific Paper Format project report is due in on the 25th march

29th April Deadline for oral presentation submission

doesn't seem long when you put it like that

that extra experiment sounds pretty cool, i am done on the experiment side

physical chemistry doesn't worry me that much its a pain in the ass to read for on one hand, you need a physical degree but i think my supervisor know this i think so helping alot, i to be fair i would still want my supervisor over other even knowing what its on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending