The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

About the SU

This is in response to the oh so familiar cry I hear these days that the Brookes SU doesn't actually do anything etc. etc.

I only ask one thing if you don't think that the SU does anything or it could do more why not get involved? It's easy to do just go along to the SU and speak to one of the officers, I can give you my personal assurance they are all very lovely people who will be most willing to help with any and all questions you should have.

There are many ways to help out the SU and to get involved:

- General Volunteering (This is the main one really and there are many opportunities again just ask in the SU for more details)

- Team Safety Bus (Another big one to get involved with this shoot an e-mail to: [email protected] or speak with Lucas Murrin in the SU, alternatively there are briefings held each week that alternate between Monday and Wednesday each week, nothing is set for Week 1 next semester though)

- Go to an AGM Meeting, this is where you'll hear what's going on and also the place for you to give your input and ask any burning questions you may have.

So rather than sitting there grumbling about how the SU doesn't do anything etc. etc. get involved yourself and see what's what.:smile:
Reply 1

I second that they are lovely people, I set up a society earlier in the semester, and they are all super helpful :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by jennifer.re
I second that they are lovely people, I set up a society earlier in the semester, and they are all super helpful :smile:

Oooh which society is that one? I'm guessing if you were setting up a society you either went through Lucas or Ralph?
Reply 3
Original post by BillV3
Oooh which society is that one? I'm guessing if you were setting up a society you either went through Lucas or Ralph?

The Occupational Therapy Soc :smile:
Yeah Lucas helped us out a lot. Which is beneficial cause I'm not the most organised person of all... yeahhh not sure why I'm Deputy President/Social Sec.... haha
Reply 4
The Occupational Therapy Soc :smile:
Yeah Lucas helped us out a lot. Which is beneficial cause I'm not the most organised person of all... yeahhh not sure why I'm Deputy President/Social Sec.... haha

Awesome, yeah Lucas is great like that, one of my best friends up in Brookes, I even helped his campaigning last year to get in this year haha.

On a side note the OT Soc? I didn't know there was one though that implies you do OT and if you're a second year there's a worryingly good chance you may have heard of me...
Reply 5
Original post by BillV3
Awesome, yeah Lucas is great like that, one of my best friends up in Brookes, I even helped his campaigning last year to get in this year haha.

On a side note the OT Soc? I didn't know there was one though that implies you do OT and if you're a second year there's a worryingly good chance you may have heard of me...

The OT Soc started in September :smile:
And yes I'm a second year.......
How would I know you?!
Reply 6
The OT Soc started in September :smile:
And yes I'm a second year.......
How would I know you?!

Not know me as such, more know of me, heck even a Nurse who knew an OT student had somehow heard of me as I know a few OT students, from the sounds of things you lot are a pretty close group? It would be a world apart from Maths where everyone kind of does there own things at the best of times.
Reply 7
Original post by BillV3
Not know me as such, more know of me, heck even a Nurse who knew an OT student had somehow heard of me as I know a few OT students, from the sounds of things you lot are a pretty close group? It would be a world apart from Maths where everyone kind of does there own things at the best of times.

Yeah, we're a pretty tight bunch hah - does make my job a little easier when organising socials though; if I tell a couple of people that we're doing drinks at 9 I can guarantee it'll get round the group by the end of the day :biggrin:
But it's nice :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah, we're a pretty tight bunch hah - does make my job a little easier when organising socials though; if I tell a couple of people that we're doing drinks at 9 I can guarantee it'll get round the group by the end of the day :biggrin:
But it's nice :smile:

What are these socials you speak of? Haha, I've been on a few with friends on other subjects, no idea how I get invited along but I do and from SU activities like the last week we had our Safety Bus social but never a Maths social :O
Reply 9
Original post by BillV3
What are these socials you speak of? Haha, I've been on a few with friends on other subjects, no idea how I get invited along but I do and from SU activities like the last week we had our Safety Bus social but never a Maths social :O

We ran stuff for OT week (charity cake sale, posters up, promoting OT), a freshers/OT week drinks social, and then a Christmas social.
But generally everyone's birthdays turn in OT socials too :biggrin:

Which OTs do you know?
Reply 10
We ran stuff for OT week (charity cake sale, posters up, promoting OT), a freshers/OT week drinks social, and then a Christmas social.
But generally everyone's birthdays turn in OT socials too :biggrin:

Which OTs do you know?

Haha you guys definitely sound a lot closer than the maths lot we don't help the stereotype much I suppose....

As for the OTs I know Dani Werner and Loryn Dunning there's another 1 or 2 I know but not all that well but there names elude me right now :colondollar:
In all fairness i can see where this is coming from, but if you dont want people to have a negative view of the SU when they start maybe they need to see more vividly how the SU is doing and what stuff it is doing. I know you say it makes you angry when people are negative but think of it from their point of view. They come to uni expecting some stuff to be going on at the SU, they talk to other people at other unis they say all about their SU people are going to be thinking why isnt Brookes like that.

Honestly i was one of the people that thought the SU club nights last year were abit half hearted and they didnt seem to really try that hard.

However the SU may be doing a good job, but then again i dont know how they can bring this across to the student population. As being honest most students are a little fickle and just look at when they can get drunk next...
Reply 12
Original post by tom_tom_tom
In all fairness i can see where this is coming from, but if you dont want people to have a negative view of the SU when they start maybe they need to see more vividly how the SU is doing and what stuff it is doing. I know you say it makes you angry when people are negative but think of it from their point of view. They come to uni expecting some stuff to be going on at the SU, they talk to other people at other unis they say all about their SU people are going to be thinking why isnt Brookes like that.

Honestly i was one of the people that thought the SU club nights last year were abit half hearted and they didnt seem to really try that hard.

However the SU may be doing a good job, but then again i dont know how they can bring this across to the student population. As being honest most students are a little fickle and just look at when they can get drunk next...

Indeed, the main problem with the club nights is if they put them on they get "Oh the SU has something on tonight....... Ok so we're set for Lava/Regal/Wahoo/O2 etc. etc." and then because of that they don't put something on "The SU haven't put stuff on it's atrocious." It's a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' scenario.

We get a little glimpse of how uninformed people are on the safety bus, they'll be rude/abusive/awkward all evening and then they say it:

"How much do you get paid for this?"
"We don't we're volunteers...."
"Oh right didn't know that."

Add in a few weeks back I had a friend text me to ask me if the Bus ran on a Monday evening and just the bus alone gives me a good insight into how little awareness there is, I also get a good look due to just generally helping out around the SU and having the officers in my friend group, they do the best they can with what they're given but that isn't a lot most of the time.
Original post by BillV3
Haha you guys definitely sound a lot closer than the maths lot we don't help the stereotype much I suppose....

As for the OTs I know Dani Werner and Loryn Dunning there's another 1 or 2 I know but not all that well but there names elude me right now :colondollar:

Ah yes, Dani is in one of my seminar groups :smile:
Im a SU volunteer - its a really good way of meeting people and u can put on your cv that you volunteer.

There are "roadshows" on campus that are run to make people aware of things, one main one was the 1st big march in London (Brookes were not involved with any of the "un-peaceful" actions.)

Freshers Week though is the main event of the year - used to make people aware of everything, and freebies - like Dominos Pizza.

The SU do many things its just you need to look for the many things - like with housing and other general topics.

http://www.thesu.com/advice/news/index.php?page=article&news_id=214203 - Brookes Student Union helped these students, it is there to help everyone.

When you enrol at Brookes your automatically members.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending