The Student Room Group

Is a Universities reputation really as important as people make out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xhotas
That's bit harsh if someone who has BBB has a passion to study Law they should be restricted to doing just a GDL for a year or two. What if someone with a BBB ends up with a first from a polytech then goes on to do a post-grad at a more reputable university if they desired to increase their employability?

The point is moot. The fact is if you get BBB you most probably aren't going to get a MC training contract whatever degree you choose. Most top firms have A Levels filters of AAB/ABB
Original post by adam0311

Agreed it is a risk. But so is going to a post 92 with the assumption you're getting a first.

Ignore people with firsts for a moment.

Do you have any idea what the graduate employment prospects are for graduates in law from Manchester Met compared with graduates in English from Manchester University?

44% of Manchester Met law gradates get graduate level employment (not necessarily in the legal profession) whilst 41% of Manchester English graduates do.

Law is inherently a more employable degree than many traditional arts subjects and that has to be put into the equation.
Reply 42
Original post by nulli tertius
Ignore people with firsts for a moment.

Do you have any idea what the graduate employment prospects are for graduates in law from Manchester Met compared with graduates in English from Manchester University?

44% of Manchester Met law gradates get graduate level employment (not necessarily in the legal profession) whilst 41% of Manchester English graduates do.

Law is inherently a more employable degree than many traditional arts subjects and that has to be put into the equation.

Which is why I was suggesting politics, IR and geography....basically any social science.
All of the following are employment stats w/ grad job from manchester:

Politics- 60%
Geography-65%

Even for languages from Manchester:
German-65%
French-50%
Reply 43
Original post by Essay Writer
It matters a very great deal for the sort of jobs where it matters. If your intended career is very qualification dependent eg. medicine then the course quality is vital. If your intended career is not qualification dependent eg. FCO then the prestige of the uni is vital. If your intended career path is unusual eg. entrepreneurial then don't go to uni at all - spend the £27k you save by skipping uni on starting the business. Win or lose you will learn more than you would have at uni.

Ermmm no.
Reply 44
Should just get a masters at Oxbridge.
How would a masters at Oxbridge help for modern industries? ie: The course I want to do has different qualifications (CCNA, CCNA, CCIE, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCSA, CCSP and Cisco certified architect)

Lots of universities with great links do the CCNA and CCNP/CCSA and CCSP qualifications. The CC*P qualifications are what the industry really wants, if not CC*E or Cisco certified architect. If you go to Cambridge, you would receive the CCNA qualification only

Fair enough, the uni I want to go to is an ex-polytechnic but it's one of the best to go to for studying the Cisco syllabus and apparently in the third(industry) year, 100% of people who applied to work at Cisco got the job(in the industry year). Explain that
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by de_monies
How would a masters at Oxbridge help for modern industries? ie: The course I want to do has different qualifications (CCNA, CCNA, CCIE, CCDA, CCDP, CCDE, CCSA, CCSP and Cisco certified architect)

Lots of universities with great links do the CCNA and CCNP/CCSA and CCSP qualifications. The CC*P qualifications are what the industry really wants, if not CC*E or Cisco certified architect. If you go to Cambridge, you would receive the CCNA qualification only

Fair enough, the uni I want to go to is an ex-polytechnic but it's one of the best to go to for studying the Cisco syllabus and apparently in the third(industry) year, 100% of people who applied to work at Cisco got the job(in the industry year). Explain that

My post wasn't aimed at you, more a reflection of thought for myself.
Reply 47
Original post by SPMS
Ermmm no.

Ermmmm yes
Reply 48
Ermmmm yes

Why do you think that?

There is so much information out there correlating that you are far more likely to be successful in business, if you have gone to university (not necessarily graduating).
Reply 49
Well it's important in that it's a good idea to go to the best university you can so as to be able to do as well as you can do. But in terms of employers eagerly focussing on which university you go on, not so much as people on here seem to think. So long as its a decent university you should be fine.
Reply 50
Original post by SPMS
Why do you think that?

There is so much information out there correlating that you are far more likely to be successful in business, if you have gone to university (not necessarily graduating).

For a person w/ entrepreneurial spirit, uni isn't going to do a thing. They're interested in their own "thing." Not working for somebody else. If I trusted myself, had a good idea, and 28k in capital, I wouldn't go to uni...I'd just startup my own business.
Reply 51
For a person w/ entrepreneurial spirit, uni isn't going to do a thing. They're interested in their own "thing." Not working for somebody else. If I trusted myself, had a good idea, and 28k in capital, I wouldn't go to uni...I'd just startup my own business.

*Network - meet like minded people. Enterprise Society etc.
*Better chance to network with businesses.
*Free entrepreneurial courses.
*Boost your self-esteem confidence.
*Reduce fear factor, always have something to fall back on.
*Once in a life time experience.
*Technically you don't have to pay all the £27k back as there are ways of getting around you never having to earn over £15k etc.
*You gain skills and enhance skills - difficult to teach yourself.
*Get rid of the 'Lone Wolf Syndrome' - me, I was very much set out on making my own business don't need anyone else, ignoring the fact that I need people skills and University can give you that, easier than anywhere else.
*Why can't you set up a business/es whilst at uni? I am.
Reply 52
For getting the on the best grad schemes, yes. However in many jobs, say law, if you go to Kent then do very well at a small firm, 5 years down the line you'll get head-hunted. Remember business is performance based, plenty of Oxbridge grads who get on the schemes, and after one/two years get backroomed and either move on or or make do. Depends how far ahead you look really, best off going to the place you'll think you'll do best at really.
Reply 53
Idk but I keep thinking there must be SOMETHING to the unis' reputation... I mean, it just doesn't seem right- if a person has graduated from one of the best unis in the subject in question and have worked their *** off and in the end when looking for a job to be regarded absolutely equally as a student from a top 70 uni for the same subject..
If that was the case, students wouldn't have enough motivation to go to the best unis and would be fine just getting into ANY uni, just so to get the degree.
That's just me though:smile:
Reply 54
Well going back to the original post, Newcastle most cewrtainly isn't a top 70, or top 50 uni, it's still relatively high in the rankings, even if it is still slightly lower than Bristol in terms of reputation
Reply 55
Sorry I didn't mean Newcastle is a top 70 uni, just thinking out loud about unis' reputation in general:smile:
Anyway I will probably choose my uni based on reputation because I didn't develop a particular 'feeling' towards my unis, although I visited some of them. But my advice to you is NOT to do this - at the end of the day, you will be spending the next 3-6 years of your life there, so if you've loved Newcastle, go to Newcastle!
Reply 56
What I think people forget is the importance of going to the "right" uni for you. I am at Birmingham, I got offers for law from Nottingham, Warwick, Manchester and Leicester. Luckily I have a TC offer.

I think that you have to be happy- you won't do well somewhere that you dislike. If your heart says Newcastle, then go to Newcastle. If you do well at Newcastle, there's no reason why you can't get a TC. Maybe not with a MC, but there really is more to life! On the other hand, if you know you want to work for Freshfields, then going to Bristol is the sacrifice you have to make!

Having said all that, I regret not doing politics!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending