The Student Room Group

Would you adopt a gay child?

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely yes. Would I adopt a straight child? Yes. Would I adopt a blonde child? Yes. Would I adopt a child who liked country music? Yes. It makes no difference to me.

When I'm choosing whether to adopt a child, there are many factors I'd take into consideration - like whether they had medical problems that would require a lot of care and attention, or behavioural issues.

Whether the people they fancy have their reproductive organs on the inside or the outside is not one of them.
Original post by draikzer
I'm not angry in any way. But thanks Freud, for your insight.

I never said you were ignorant because you want grandchildren... where did I actually say that? Maybe you need to read better...

Your ignorance stems from the fact you state you would be disappointed with a homosexual child, for whatever reason. It's a stupid and narrow minded thing to say... is that all you want children for? Your selfish desire to carry on your genetics?

Children are far more than that. And it seems that, from your response, you would love your child less if it couldn't pass on your genes. (You cannot say you love your child unconditionally if you are disappointed that it was born a certain way)

Did you read this everybody? If a parent is disappointed with their child, that means they dont love them :biggrin:
I think we can just end the discussion there as you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply 62
Original post by Lewroll
Passive agressive :biggrin:. Pot...kettle...black, ring any bells?
So in your world, everybody should embrace the fact that their child is gay? Sadly the world does not work like that. Were my child gay, yes i would be quite disappointed, im not going to lie, so would millions of people. Would i be angry at them? No. Would i treat them differently? No. Would i love them the same as i always did? Yes i would.
You seem to think that i should be happy I have a gay child? Why should i be? Because society says i should? As ive said several times before, i would treat a child exactly the same if it were gay or straight. However i would be disappointed and upset if i couldnt have grandchildren. The same way i would be disappointed if my (hypothetical) straight child told me they were infertile.
I'd bet if you ask most parents if they want grandchildren, most of them would say yes. So they would be disappointed if they didnt have grandchildren.

I'm apparently just aggressive.

Why should you be happy?

Because you have a f****** child.

It's more than a lot of people have.
Original post by ussumane

2 against one and you still won. I'm proud of you son.

Thank you, thank you :u:. People are quick to play the homophobic card when they see something they dont agree with. These same people are also small minded and unable to handle an adult discussion.
Reply 64
Original post by Lewroll
Did you read this everybody? If a parent is disappointed with their child, that means they dont love them :biggrin:
I think we can just end the discussion there as you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I never said the parent didn't LOVE them.

I said you can't say you UNCONDITIONALLY love your child if you're disappointed with how your child turned out. Especially since you CANT control whether your child is gay.

But yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about, and naturally you do. Because this discussion is black and white and you are right... damn.
I'm apparently just aggressive.

Why should you be happy?

Because you have a f****** child.

It's more than a lot of people have.

Again the anger comes out. Can you have a discussion without swearing.
A lot of people in Africa dont have clean water. Does that mean i shouldnt be angry when i find that my water is dirty.
Your logic fails. You fail. Game over.
Reply 66
Original post by Mm_Minty
Yes :yep:
I don't see why anyone wouldn't?

Umm you actually do know, you just don't agree.
Reply 67
Original post by Lewroll
Again the anger comes out. Can you have a discussion without swearing.
A lot of people in Africa dont have clean water. Does that mean i shouldnt be angry when i find that my water is dirty.
Your logic fails. You fail. Game over.

Because swearing = aggression.

No. It doesn't.

I can have a discussion however I want, it's not for you to say how I should present my views.

Why be angry when your water is dirty? Just drink the blood of your unwanted gay child.
Reply 68
I never said the parent didn't LOVE them.

I said you can't say you UNCONDITIONALLY love your child if you're disappointed with how your child turned out. Especially since you CANT control whether your child is gay.

But yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about, and naturally you do. Because this discussion is black and white and you are right... damn.

Yes i do KNOW what i am talking about. YOU obviously havent left your cave and FACED REAL life yet. WHO are you TO tell me i cant love a child just BECAUSE i am disappointed (not disappointed with the CHILD, disappointed with the fact that i wont have grandchildren)
If the postman doesnt deliver my package, i can be disappointed that the package hasnt arrived, doesnt mean i AM DISAPPOINTED with the postman (this is a comparison to what you are saying, in case your BRAIN HASNT registered it).

I feel this DISCUSSION has peaked. You continue to provide these frail arguments, to points i have already stated. Bye.

P.s. I CAN WRITE IN CAPITALS AS WELL :biggrin:
Reply 70
Would you adopt a child of any race but your own? An African American child, an Asian child, a Latino child? Who has the gene(s) for Parkinsons, obesity, Multiple Sclerosis, Cystic Fibrosis or a million other disorders? Being gay is in your genes, so are all of these things. Asking if you'd adopt a gay child is like asking if you'd adopt a child who is from Asia or Africa or will develop Parkinsons when they're older or are a carrier for disorders such as MS. Think about that.

Original post by Lewroll
I want grandchildren :frown: So, no i dont think i would

A lesbian can have a baby - just use a sperm bank. A gay man can have a kid - use their sperm & a surrogate? And you can have non-biological children, anyway. Sharing genes means f*** all if you love the child.

AND YES. I WOULD ADOPT A GAY CHILD (it'd be a pretty hypocritical if I wouldn't seeing how I'm gay).
I would adopt a child who I felt had bonded with me, and I could grow to love them and act as a suitable guardian.
Sexuality would not factor in my decision :smile:
Because swearing = aggression.

No. It doesn't.

I can have a discussion however I want, it's not for you to say how I should present my views.

Why be angry when your water is dirty? Just drink the blood of your unwanted gay child.

Wow emotional stuff man, emotional stuff. Especially this last phrase. Let me just copy it again and put it in a cool colour:

Why be angry when your water is dirty? Just drink the blood of your unwanted gay child

I didnt realise i was having a discussion with a person so clouded by emotion, that they decide to pick statements out of thin air. You are truly hillarious. It seems like you are reading things which havent been written. I believe your GP will have a cure for that. This discussion is too hard for you, i can see that now. I will try to use smaller words next time.

Oh by the way, adults dont swear when they are having a discussion. Well, not mentally stable adults.
Reply 73
Original post by Lewroll
Wow emotional stuff man, emotional stuff. Especially this last phrase. Let me just copy it again and put it in a cool colour:

Why be angry when your water is dirty? Just drink the blood of your unwanted gay child

I didnt realise i was having a discussion with a person so clouded by emotion, that they decide to pick statements out of thin air. You are truly hillarious. It seems like you are reading things which havent been written. I believe your GP will have a cure for that. This discussion is too hard for you, i can see that now. I will try to use smaller words next time.

Oh by the way, adults dont swear when they are having a discussion. Well, not mentally stable adults.

Cool, I'll see my GP asap.

Thanks for the diagnosis.
Original post by AbiSmith93

A lesbian can have a baby - just use a sperm bank. A gay man can have a kid - use their sperm & a surrogate? And you can have non-biological children, anyway. Sharing genes means f*** all if you love the child.

Before you start angrily hurling abuse at me (like these two other wise-guys are). Please read my other posts. I know a gay person can have a child, but a straight person is more likely to have a child.
I will show you and everyone else who quotes me on this, why that is.

Man+woman=reproduction
Man+man/woman+woman= no reproduction

This is why i say that a man and a woman are more likey to produce offspring, a gay person would have to get a child through some other method (which they are entitled to)

Thank you, and merry christmas to you all.
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I wouldn't adopt. They don't have my genes, and it just wouldn't be the same
Reply 76
Original post by Ex Death
I find it very hard to believe the people saying they would, actually would. Given a choice of hundreds upon hundreds of potential children to adopt, you're not going to say to yourself "hey, I'm feeling generous today, I think I'll give one of the gay ones a shot". You'd pick one of the 'normal' (for lack of a better term) ones. In any case, carry on deluding yourselves.

Why?

And are you saying that because I fancy women but not men that I'm not "normal". What's "normal", anyway? (I'm actually pretty offended right now, jsyk. I'm pretty sure my parents don't think my sister is more "normal" than me cos she's straight and I'm not.)
Cool, I'll see my GP asap.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

You are very welcome, sir. Try not to overdose on the meds, ok.

Merry christmas.
Reply 78
Original post by Lewroll
Before you start angrily hurling abuse at me (like these two other wise-guys are). Please read my other posts. I know a gay person can have a child, but a straight person is more likely to have a child.
I will show you and everyone else who quotes me on this, why that is.

Man+woman=reproduction
Man+man/woman+woman= no reproduction

This is why i say that a man and a woman are more likey to produce offspring, a gay person would have to get a child through some other method (which they are entitled to)

I wasn't trying to hurl abuse at your in particular, I'm just kind of offended by the entire thread.

Anyway, that's not necessarily true - just because it's harder and involves doctors and sperm donors/surrogate's doesn't mean it's less likely to happen, surely? It's just harder to make it happen? A gay couple are likely to have the same wish for a child that a straight couple will have, at least IMO.
Original post by ussumane

And ussumane, that is how you win a discussion!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending