The Student Room Group

whats your favourite maths topic,favourite mathematician and your mathematical dream?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Yosaron
Favourite maths topic: Number theory

Favourite mathematician: Paul Erd?s (for pure dedication)

Mathematical dream: Discover an obscure kind of number and get it named after me

Thats cool yosaron. Keep dreaming.
Reply 21
Original post by lukas1051
I'm only really doing it to get into a science course... my passion for mathematics is near zero.

If I may ask, which science course are you applying for?
Reply 22
- Algebra

- David Hilbert

Reply 23
favourite maths topic: it has to be Geometry

favourite mathematician: no idea, einstein?

Dream: ummm..
Favourite Maths Topic
Geometry

Favourite Mathematician
René Descartes

Mathematical Dream
Winning Fields Medal and having geometric theorem named after me! (lol :p: )

:wink:
a) algebra, calculus ,statistics and mechanics
b)Euler
c) I want to become either an actuary or a maths professor ( people keep telling me that I should be doing investment banking but I don't take any notice).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Area: Homological Algebra

Mathematicians: Noether, Grothendieck, Steenrod,... many others

Mathematical Dream: Make some small contribution in cyclic homology theory and non commutative geometry.
Original post by pappymajek
If I may ask, which science course are you applying for?

Well I'm only in year 12, so I'm not completely sure yet, but probably Geology. If not, it will highly likely be science related considering I'm also taking Physics and Chemistry.
1. Calculus
2. Euler
3. To develop a theorem and have it named after me... I'm half way there cos my last name is hard to spell :p:
Reply 29
Original post by MostCompetitive
a) algebra, calculus ,statistics and mechanics
b)Euler
c) I want to become either an actuary or a maths professor ( people keep telling me that I should be doing investment banking but I don't take any notice).

Either way, with 6 A levels, I think you're off on a good start. You could become an actuary as well as an academic-eg training young actuaries, etc.
By the way, merry christmas to everyone.

I notice you have quite a wide range of mathematical interests also. This will probably be narrowed down as you become more exposed to difficult mathematics. Good luck, keep dreaming.
Reply 30
Original post by Jake22
Area: Homological Algebra

Mathematicians: Noether, Grothendieck, Steenrod,... many others

Mathematical Dream: Make some small contribution in cyclic homology theory and non commutative geometry.

Interesting. Could you possibly enlighten us a bit more about what homological algebra is about? Sounds very fascinating though.
Reply 31
Original post by Miss Anonymous
Favourite Maths Topic
Geometry

Favourite Mathematician
René Descartes

Mathematical Dream
Winning Fields Medal and having geometric theorem named after me! (lol :p: )

:wink:

I quite like this list. Fields medal would definitely be every apsiring mathematician's dream. Merry Christmas and keep dreaming. What do like about Geometry?

I quite like this list. Fields medal would definitely be every apsiring mathematician's dream. Merry Christmas and keep dreaming. What do like about Geometry?

I'm in year11 so I don't really know that much about maths yet
but I always enjoyed everything that's got to do with shapes
e.g. circle theorems, vectors (IGCSE)
by the way, I'm taking a-level maths a year early so I've done coordinate geometry topic in C1 (which i think is quite similar to what I've learned for IGCSE?) and Circles topic in C2..
and I've read some stuff about hyperbola, ellipse, and cycloid - so I know a bit about them as well..
can't wait till I learn more!

I like geometry because it's based on visualisation :smile: it's sort of like a puzzle and i find it so much more fun (lol not in a geeky way) than other kinds of maths

Merry Christmas :smile:
Reply 33
by the way, I'm taking a-level maths a year early so I've done coordinate geometry topic in C1 (which i think is quite similar to what I've learned for IGCSE?) and Circles topic in C2..
and I've read some stuff about hyperbola, ellipse, and cycloid - so I know a bit about them as well..

I like geometry because it's based on visualisation :smile: it's sort of like a puzzle and i find it so much more fun (lol not in a geeky way) than other kinds of maths

You'll probably like mechanics as the hyperbola comes up in bridge design, ellipse in planetary motion and cycloid in two very cool problems called the tautochrone and brachiostochrone. But you'll need advanced calculus to understand them....(which you can always try learning yourself)
Original post by anshul95

Original post by anshul95
You'll probably like mechanics as the hyperbola comes up in bridge design, ellipse in planetary motion and cycloid in two very cool problems called the tautochrone and brachiostochrone. But you'll need advanced calculus to understand them....(which you can always try learning yourself)

thanks for posting that!
:smile:
Algebra arouses me. :sexface:
Number theory
Euclid
to solve one of the questions put forward by clay
Reply 37
My dream is far more humble but, weirdly enough, might not be practical.

Favourite maths Topic-Topology/Algebra/Geometry mix

Favourite mathematician- Abraham Robinson, for coming up with Nonstandard Analysis

mathematical dream- To see infinitesimal calculus taught in schools.
Reply 38

Cool, never feel bad about being a maths Geek-everybody becomes a geek at university level.

Cool, never feel bad about being a maths Geek-everybody becomes a geek at university level.

haha yea lol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest