The Student Room Group

Feeling depressed and can't be bothered to do anything

Recently, I just can't be bothered to do anything at all. I have a few exams for uni coming up in 3 weeks and I've not yet started revising properly. I feel like spending all day in bed. Usually all I do all day is procrastinate, mindlessly spend each day on something like TSR or Facebook or TrueLad. I do have depression but, this worse
I can't be assed to go to the gym or whatever, I've tried calling my friends but, they're all busy around Christmas. I feel like spending the rest of 2010 curled up in my bed and I'll just start work for my exams and life in 2011

Scroll to see replies

You say you have depression: what usually motivates you when you are low? I understand this is worse than what you usually feel, but it might give ideas of how to help yourself feel a bit better if possible :smile:
Reply 2
you dont have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great
favourite songs? movies? anything to lift you up...try it :smile: focus on the nondark times of your life :smile:
Sounds really difficult. Are you usually on antidepressants for your depression? have you seen your doctor?
Original post by Anonymous

Recently, I just can't be bothered to do anything at all. I have a few exams for uni coming up in 3 weeks and I've not yet started revising properly. I feel like spending all day in bed. Usually all I do all day is procrastinate, mindlessly spend each day on something like TSR or Facebook or TrueLad. I do have depression but, this worse
I can't be assed to go to the gym or whatever, I've tried calling my friends but, they're all busy around Christmas. I feel like spending the rest of 2010 curled up in my bed and I'll just start work for my exams and life in 2011

Would you like to purchase my username off of me?

£50 ono

Quick sale. First to see will buy.
Reply 6
This is basically me!! :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You say you have depression: what usually motivates you when you are low? I understand this is worse than what you usually feel, but it might give ideas of how to help yourself feel a bit better if possible :smile:

Usually I go somewhere with few distractions like the uni library but, atm I'm home for christmas so there's not really much I can do as most places where I live are closed for Christmas
Reply 8
Original post by pauline_lg
Sounds really difficult. Are you usually on antidepressants for your depression? have you seen your doctor?
On 40mg of Citalopram, I'll make an appointment to see my doctor when I get back to uni.
Reply 9
Original post by thedepressedchild
Would you like to purchase my username off of me?

£50 ono

Quick sale. First to see will buy.

:smile: This actually cheered me up a tiny bit
But, I like hiding under the veil of anonymous, cheers
Usually I go somewhere with few distractions like the uni library but, atm I'm home for christmas so there's not really much I can do as most places where I live are closed for Christmas

:frown:

Do the shops not open again on Boxing Day for the sales? (If you're female, that is :p: )

What about meeting up with some friends for a Christmas drink or something? :smile:
I feel the same :frown: I have to do an essay on CHRISTMAS EVE because I left it so late : / x
I'm seeing a psychologist, and it helps, so I would suggest you do that :dontknow: x
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Do the shops not open again on Boxing Day for the sales? (If you're female, that is)
What about meeting up with some friends for a Christmas drink or something? :smile:

Male, I've tried calling and texting a couple of mates but, they're all busy until Boxing Day and I'm planning on going back to uni on the 27th - TSR is my only friend :tongue:
Reply 13
You might be feeling down cause there is no much sun around just now. Try going to the sunbeds twice a week, bet it helps.
Male, I've tried calling and texting a couple of mates but, they're all busy until Boxing Day and I'm planning on going back to uni on the 27th - TSR is my only friend :tongue:

Well Christmas Day is all about mindless TV watching anyway :p:
On 40mg of Citalopram, I'll make an appointment to see my doctor when I get back to uni.

good plan, all the best!

I have exams coming up in 2 weeks but I haven't done much either!! :shocked: And I was gonna do all nighter today to make up for lost time but alas, I'm on here :rolleyes:

I think as Nacho King pointed out-

-

you dont have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great

This is the most important thing. On those rare occasions when I do stop procrastinating, I find that the more revision I do, the better I feel! :smile: Pretty obvious I guess, but just try to focus and do some revision for a while. And take breaks now and then. Meditation can help as well. I've tried to meditate, but usually get distracted after about 2 minutes :rolleyes:

And finally, I know the depression is a big hinderance, but if you do feel motivated at some point, get some exercise in, it will not only make you feel great but also help you to focus!

Best of luck! :smile:

EDIT:

Well Christmas Day is all about mindless TV watching anyway :tongue:

The Royle Family and Doctor Who are not mindless TV :mad:

:getmecoat:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
You don't have depression, you're just very very lazy. I hate people who diagnose themselves as 'depressed' these days when all they really need is a good kick up the butt. Much of what you're doing is self-inflicted. Don't expect a wordy response from me. Get up, get out and get on with it.
Reply 18
are you passionate about something outside uni work? it can be anything... singing, drawing, writing, reading.. i dunno, whatever it is, you could ease into that for a bit - it's doing something productive whilst still being enjoyable

i know how you feel - believe me i do. i kinda like singing lol so i do a bit of that and i feel it helps me kinda get out of bed and deal with the day. work wise - i've been gradually getting back into it, doing chunks here and there and, like you, plan to properly start 2011

also - don't put too much pressure on yourself with work, ie don't make crazy plans that sound unattainable. just tell yourself that today you're going to just start and see how much you can do by the end of the day. no goals, just do.

hope it helps, feel free to pm

:smile: This actually cheered me up a tiny bit
But, I like hiding under the veil of anonymous, cheers

Lol ok kool. Let me know if you change your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending