The Student Room Group

Would you adopt a gay child?

Scroll to see replies

Why should anybody's sexuality be an issue unless you would like to have sex with them.

And no, I don't see myself having sex with my adopted child. Why are people so prejudiced?
My kid's sexuality wouldn't bother me in the slightest, whether they were my real kid or an adopted one.

I'm not homophobic, you see.
Perhaps, would leaving the bathing to the mother though, kid might get the wrong idea otherwise
Reply 103
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Well actually the fact that you referred to those who said they would adopt a gay child as delusional implies quite the opposite.

No it doesn't. Like I've already explained I was referring to the majority. This isn't difficult to understand.
How would you even know a child would end up gay :holmes:
Original post by Ex Death
No it doesn't. Like I've already explained I was referring to the majority. This isn't difficult to understand.

How would you even know the majority think that way?
Reply 106
How would you even know the majority think that way?

Because I have the ability to see the world objectively, so for me, it is obvious.
Because I have the ability to see the world objectively, so for me, it is obvious.

Didn't realise seeing the world objectively was the same as having the ability to read people's minds, but fair enough.
Yep I would =]
Reply 109
Didn't realise seeing the world objectively was the same as having the ability to read people's minds, but fair enough.

I didn't realise you needed the ability to read people's minds to infer normal human thought processes.
No.
But then, I wouldn't adopt any child so I guess that makes my answer sort of irrelevant to the argument this thread is stirring.
I didn't realise you needed the ability to read people's minds to infer normal human thought processes.

Normal human thought process = not giving a **** about your child's sexuality.
Reply 112
I would. I don't think it would make any difference to my attitude towards the child. Obviously everyone wants grandchildren someday, but them being gay wouldn't rule that out, and I'd probably have another child as well. Even if it did mean I'd never have grandchildren, I'd still rather adopt a child who needed it.
Reply 113
Original post by LauriC
Why should anybody's sexuality be an issue unless you would like to have sex with them.

And no, I don't see myself having sex with my adopted child. Why are people so prejudiced?

that's quite possibly the best quote on this topic I've seen.
Reply 114
ITT:

Seriously, even when you adopt a kid/have a kid they'd probably never tell you if they thought/knew you were homophobic.

OT: Not I wouldn't, but that's because I don't want kids anyway rather then because they'd be gay.
Reply 115
Normal human thought process = not giving a **** about your child's sexuality.

Except when there are hundreds of other children to choose from where sexuality isn't even an 'issue'. Same reason you would probably pick a good-looking child over an ugly child. They are just minor preferences and there is nothing wrong with ugly children but supply > demand.
Except when there are hundreds of other children to choose from where sexuality isn't even an 'issue'. Same reason you would probably pick a good-looking child over an ugly child. They are just minor preferences and there is nothing wrong with ugly children but supply > demand.

Well this is where the original in relation to the OP becomes flawed because you can tell when a child is ugly, you can't tell when a child is going to be gay.
Reply 117

I'm sorry, you'd pick a good-looking child over an ugly child? It wouldn't even cross my mind to judge children on that criteria! Especially not if I was adopting, I'd adopt a child that needed it. Adoption isn't a question of supply and demand, it's about giving a home and a family to a child that for whatever reason doesn't have one.
if i had a son and he turned out gay, i'd probably be a bit shocked but i'd get over it, i'd still love him. But i wouldn't choose to have a son who is gay. No hate on gay people its just how i feel.
Reply 119
Lewroll
Stuff

Firstly, I don't think you're homophobic, though I really can't relate to this need to pass on your genes. But I was just wondering, what would you do if you had a gay kid but your wife didn't want to have anymore due to the trauma of the first birth, or if she couldn't have more because of complications, or whatever?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending