The Student Room Group

PHD

Does anybody know any universities that do distance learning for phd? I have searched google but only found Birbeck and they don't do phd for distance learning..

Scroll to see replies

The Open University maybe? Though I think even there, you sometimes have to go in. I know the Music PhD students have their own office space! :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The Open University maybe? Though I think even there, you sometimes have to go in. I know the Music PhD students have their own office space! :yep:

Hi thanks for that..I have looked at that aswell...no hope..I am looking in to second language acquisition/applied linguistics..I can't find:frown:
Hmm. They're the two places I would have thought most likely, tbh :s-smilie:

Maybe it's just impossible to do that subject at that level of study via distance learning? :dontknow:

Have you asked any tutors at your current uni about it? They might know of places where it's possible :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm. They're the two places I would have thought most likely, tbh :s-smilie:

Maybe it's just impossible to do that subject at that level of study via distance learning? :dontknow:

Have you asked any tutors at your current uni about it? They might know of places where it's possible :smile:

thanks...I'll just have to wait for after xmas
Reply 5
Hi

sorry for all my questions..I found one uni that does exactly what I want to do. I am thinking of part-time and the fee is 1,900? is that yearly?
Sounds about right, yeah! I'm paying something like that for this year of my part-time course :yes:

Obviously the amount would increase each year and Lord knows what will happen once the uni budgets are slashed, etc :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Sounds about right, yeah! I'm paying something like that for this year of my part-time course :yes:

Obviously the amount would increase each year and Lord knows what will happen once the uni budgets are slashed, etc :s-smilie:

aa great..so do you pay at the start of each academic year? and also are you working full-time? sorry for all my questions..:smile:
Original post by G_S
aa great..so do you pay at the start of each academic year? and also are you working full-time? sorry for all my questions..:smile:

Each uni will have different methods. So I could pay at the start, get it paid by a PCDL (which is what I'm doing. Though if Barclays hadn't given me one, I would be using some of my leftover bursary money from Oxford to pay for it. I got insane amounts of money :eek: ), or pay it in monthly installments by direct debit.

I'm unfortunately rather ill and am not employed as such. I was supposed to be recovering and not do anything in addition to the postgrad but got bored and took up an unpaid internship to fill the rest of the time. My doctors aren't happy with me at all :no:
Reply 10

aaa thankyou soooo much for that..I found essex aswell...which looks like what I want to do...the whole process is kinda confusing me..I want to do part-time and work full-time would that be okay?:s-smilie: and funding...I think I would only be able to fund for part time
Reply 11
Each uni will have different methods. So I could pay at the start, get it paid by a PCDL (which is what I'm doing. Though if Barclays hadn't given me one, I would be using some of my leftover bursary money from Oxford to pay for it. I got insane amounts of money :eek: ), or pay it in monthly installments by direct debit.

I'm unfortunately rather ill and am not employed as such. I was supposed to be recovering and not do anything in addition to the postgrad but got bored and took up an unpaid internship to fill the rest of the time. My doctors aren't happy with me at all :no:

aww hope you get well sooon. thanks for the info..im planning on working full-time..just not really sure...I could only really fund for part-time...
Original post by G_S
aaa thankyou soooo much for that..I found essex aswell...which looks like what I want to do...the whole process is kinda confusing me..I want to do part-time and work full-time would that be okay?:s-smilie: and funding...I think I would only be able to fund for part time

Guess that depends on how many hours are involved in part-time and how they are spread about, as well as whether an employer would be willing to give you the necessary time off. My internship is supposed to be five days a week 9.30am-6pm plus evening concert duties but they liked me enough to take me and have been quite flexible. Though obviously if they were paying me/I were properly employed, it might be a different situation...

Thanks. It's long-term illness but hopefully will get there eventually, lol :smile:
Reply 13
Guess that depends on how many hours are involved in part-time and how they are spread about, as well as whether an employer would be willing to give you the necessary time off. My internship is supposed to be five days a week 9.30am-6pm plus evening concert duties but they liked me enough to take me and have been quite flexible. Though obviously if they were paying me/I were properly employed, it might be a different situation...

Thanks. It's long-term illness but hopefully will get there eventually, lol :smile:

I am going to do a distance learning phd...oh im getting confused :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by G_S

Of course it would be ok to work full time, that's the reason why many student choose part time courses, although I doubt you will have any time left for socializing. About funding, unfortunately I don't know, only the university can give you a straight answer.
Reply 15
and the fulltime work will be 21-25 hours a week..im guesing..something like that
Nah, my fault: I confused myself when you said part-time. You meant part-time distance learning PhD, not part-time PhD. My bad :o:
Reply 17
Original post by cybergrad
Of course it would be ok to work full time, that's the reason why many student choose part time courses, although I doubt you will have any time left for socializing. About funding, unfortunately I don't know, only the university can give you a straight answer.

thanks for that...wow even with a part-time phd..no time for socializing :s-smilie:...i need to think well hard
Reply 18
Nah, my fault: I confused myself when you said part-time. You meant part-time distance learning PhD, not part-time PhD. My bad :o:

is it not the same thing...just that one is distance learning..is there teaching for just part-time phd
Well certainly the part-time PhD students at Goldsmiths have some lecture courses (research methods, etc) and sessions with their supervisors. In Oxford, you'd have a meeting or two with your supervisor a term. Not sure about lectures though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending