The Student Room Group

When to start looking for a gap year job

I'm currently in year 13 taking A2 subjects, and can't decide what to study at uni, so want to take a year out, get a job (in a shop or something) and apply once I've got my grades. Only I've never had a job before. When should I start applying? How can I stand out from others? Do I need a reference from my college tutor (he's already told me he feels he doesn't know me too well, will any other 2 references do) and anything else essential for getting a job. Also, is it as hard to get a job (even in a shop) as everyone says?
It's best to start looking as soon as you can- maybe start as part time if you manage to get a job now, and then increase your hours when you go on your gap year.
It sometimes takes months and months to find a job, so the sooner you start looking, the better really!
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
I'm currently in year 13 taking A2 subjects, and can't decide what to study at uni, so want to take a year out, get a job (in a shop or something) and apply once I've got my grades. Only I've never had a job before. When should I start applying? How can I stand out from others? Do I need a reference from my college tutor (he's already told me he feels he doesn't know me too well, will any other 2 references do) and anything else essential for getting a job. Also, is it as hard to get a job (even in a shop) as everyone says?

What I would do is- phone a shop and ask to do a week's work experience (perhaps get your teachers to help you out)...even if you're not getting paid, this will give you really valuable experience and something to put on your CV. There's also a possibility that the company could keep you on afterwards (This happened to my friend with Dorothy Perkins).

Getting a job once you have some experience is easy, the only people who complain about not being able to find work are those who haven't done anything before. I've worked most of my teenage years and I've never ever had to wait around for a job- when I've wanted to switch jobs, I just find another before I leave my current workspace. I've had jobs in a bakery, a cinema and a supermarket and I'm a TEFL teacher at a language centre on Thursdays...

Once you have some work experience, it's all downhill. Write a really good CV and be persistent. Employers I would recommend are Primark (they hire anyone and promote anyone...I have two 18 year old friends who are supervisors and on £7.50 an hour) or any supermarkets as the discounts will help on your gap year and pay tends to be a lot better.

I'd start looking once January exams are out of the way and perhaps start off as a saturday worker- most places are flexible with hours and you should be able to get a decent contract when you want to be a bit more full time :smile:

(Oh and I would recommend doing a TEFL course if you want something different, I've done a 3 day intensive course and got my job at a school REALLY quickly. The company TEFL-UK emails me every other day with new, well paid positions and quite short contracts if you just want a break from mundane till work. I'm still in year 13 and going to uni so I won't be doing any jobs abroad any time soon, but they emailed me the other day asking me to apply for a teaching job in Barcelona, £300 p/w and discounted accommodation! LOVE IT, can't wait to finish uni so I can start applying for these jobs!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lechaton-x
What I would do is- phone a shop and ask to do a week's work experience (perhaps get your teachers to help you out)...even if you're not getting paid, this will give you really valuable experience and something to put on your CV. There's also a possibility that the company could keep you on afterwards (This happened to my friend with Dorothy Perkins).

Getting a job once you have some experience is easy, the only people who complain about not being able to find work are those who haven't done anything before. I've worked most of my teenage years and I've never ever had to wait around for a job- when I've wanted to switch jobs, I just find another before I leave my current workspace. I've had jobs in a bakery, a cinema and a supermarket and I'm a TEFL teacher at a language centre on Thursdays...

Once you have some work experience, it's all downhill. Write a really good CV and be persistent. Employers I would recommend are Primark (they hire anyone and promote anyone...I have two 18 year old friends who are supervisors and on £7.50 an hour) or any supermarkets as the discounts will help on your gap year and pay tends to be a lot better.

I'd start looking once January exams are out of the way and perhaps start off as a saturday worker- most places are flexible with hours and you should be able to get a decent contract when you want to be a bit more full time :smile:

(Oh and I would recommend doing a TEFL course if you want something different, I've done a 3 day intensive course and got my job at a school REALLY quickly. The company TEFL-UK emails me every other day with new, well paid positions and quite short contracts if you just want a break from mundane till work. I'm still in year 13 and going to uni so I won't be doing any jobs abroad any time soon, but they emailed me the other day asking me to apply for a teaching job in Barcelona, £300 p/w and discounted accommodation! LOVE IT, can't wait to finish uni so I can start applying for these jobs!)

Wow thanks. I was kinda nervous about taking a gap year but now I'm feeling more optimistic - need a break from academia for a while I think. I've heard supermarkets pay well - but only after a certain time or on Saturdays? Either way, I guess I better start looking.
Wow thanks. I was kinda nervous about taking a gap year but now I'm feeling more optimistic - need a break from academia for a while I think. I've heard supermarkets pay well - but only after a certain time or on Saturdays? Either way, I guess I better start looking.

Good luck :smile: x
Reply 5

These days, now! I left school in July with good A Levels - cannot find work anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending