The Student Room Group

What makes you donate to a busker?

Scroll to see replies

This reminds me of the first time I busked, I was only 11 and was walking home from school, I pulled out my guitar along with a mate and started playing some old songs on this street corner next to a mini-roundabout (not the best location in hindsight!). A few people started waving out their cars at traffic jams saying how good we were ( probably because of our age and not that we were good). Anyway, another friend who was also walking back with us that had no musical appreciation was telling us he was embaressed and we should just go home. But after all those nice comments from people in cars me and my guitar playing buddy got a bit cocky and decided to stay around until we got some money. 5 minutes later some attractive young lady came up and gave us a whole 20p! We were over the moon thinking we could be the next Coldplay or whatever and raved about the whole way home. It wasn't until the next day that our music hating friend told us he had given the pretty lady the 20p in the first place so he could get us out of there! :frown:
1. If said busker plays the harmonica
2. If he plays it well
or
3. He's not a he but an attractive woman
Two things.

1) If they are singing a song I know and like
2) If they can sing it well
If the busker is good enough to make me stop to listen to them then they deserve money.
Reply 64
Original post by my_username_was_taken
So you only give to old people? WHy may I ask?

i have more sympathy for old people
I either donate if I like the music, if they have a nice voice, or if they are freezing their nuts off and still cheerfully playing. :smile:
Original post by tinshed
i have more sympathy for old people

How come? Is it because you perceive them to have less money?
coin allergy
Reply 68
How come? Is it because you perceive them to have less money?

no because i wonder what happened to them that they must stand somewhere asking for money. it is always difficult to see anyone in such situation but if they are young they have more "skill" in getting money and feeding themselves but if it someone old i feel like they have lost everything and this is the only means of survival. it's difficult to explain in a few line but this is just the brief reason
Original post by tinshed
no because i wonder what happened to them that they must stand somewhere asking for money. it is always difficult to see anyone in such situation but if they are young they have more "skill" in getting money and feeding themselves but if it someone old i feel like they have lost everything and this is the only means of survival. it's difficult to explain in a few line but this is just the brief reason

LOL, I know someone retired who is on a VERY GOOD pension after being in a senior position for many years and he busks. Always wears his scruffiest clothes, not too scruffy so he looks like a tramp, but not neat either. He makes lots lol, guess it must be from people like you. :wink:
Interesting thread - I am an occasional fan of buskers, and am about to start busking myself. I basically give money if I enjoy the music and have time to stop and listen. I feel an urge to donate to pretty girls busking, regardless of the music, but I resist it. I got chatting to one after she finished and then she let me buy her tea and cake, but at the cafe she saw someone else she knew and just went and sat with them and then left, haha. I got played.

As a "musician" myself I'm not easily impressed, but one or two I go nuts over.

Original post by Norfolkadam
Quality of the music is probably what makes me give. I work in a shop with a popular busking pitch outside so I get to know which buskers in Norwich are any good. The string quartet always get money off me because I love listening to a string quartet whilst I work. There's a swing band who play outside the NatWest on London Street on a Saturday and they are awesome. I'll get a sandwich and sit on the bench near there to listen, they get money too.

Hmm... do you mean outside Habitat? That's the premier busking spot in Norwich, no doubt about it.

I'm not particularly impressed by many Norwich buskers at the moment, tbh. I haven't ever seen the string quartet.
Just wondering what makes you more likely to donate to a busker?

Is it the type of instruement? Is it when people do something you've never heard done before? An unusual instrument? If the person ot attractive? If they are young? Is they make you smile?

Another reason?

and hopefully I can improve my donations :smile:

Thanks in advance.

If we make eye contact for more than just a second. And s/he grins at me. Grin, not smile. :biggrin:
Because that then improves my day. So you know, only fair to improve theirs.
If they have genuine talent I'll donate, but if they're playing a crappy electric guitar to a cd of Pink Floyd I'll keep walking.

I donated to a guy on the underground a few months ago, he and his partner literally played while the train was travelling - he had a guitar and could sing and she played the violin. Was cute. :smile:
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Hmm... do you mean outside Habitat? That's the premier busking spot in Norwich, no doubt about it.

I'm not particularly impressed by many Norwich buskers at the moment, tbh. I haven't ever seen the string quartet.

I work in Waterstone's in the Royal Arcade. There's usually a busker outside on the corner with Castle Street. Although outside Habitat does tend to be the prime spot. Also outside Lloyds TSB on Gentleman's Walk, on Haymarket and out the front of Jarrold's are all popular too.

I have to say the quality of Norwich buskers varies greatly. Like I said there's some that just do my head in but there are a few gems out there. I know a few people who do it and on a Saturday it can be quite lucrative. Depends if you have something more interesting to offer than an acoustic guitar and some dull cover versions. The string quartet are great but they tour the region, they're based in Cambridge. The swing band is my current favourite Norwich busking set-up.

In London; under Waterloo Bridge or under Blackfriars Bridge they always have the best buskers.
(edited 13 years ago)
I work in Waterstone's in the Royal Arcade. There's usually a busker outside on the corner with Castle Street. Although outside Habitat does tend to be the prime spot. Also outside Lloyds TSB on Gentleman's Walk, on Haymarket and out the front of Jarrold's are all popular too.

I have to say the quality of Norwich buskers varies greatly. Like I said there's some that just do my head in but there are a few gems out there. I know a few people who do it and on a Saturday it can be quite lucrative. Depends if you have something more interesting to offer than an acoustic guitar and some dull cover versions. The string quartet are great but they tour the region, they're based in Cambridge. The swing band is my current favourite Norwich busking set-up.

In London; under Waterloo Bridge or under Blackfriars Bridge they always have the best buskers.

word. How much do your friends earn? PM me if you like, I'd be interested. I'm going to do some busking myself ASAP, really just to break myself into performing (I never have before, anywhere) so that I can do some gigs one day. But I will accept donations if they come.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
word. How much do your friends earn? PM me if you like, I'd be interested. I'm going to do some busking myself ASAP, really just to break myself into performing (I never have before, anywhere) so that I can do some gigs one day. But I will accept donations if they come.

It varies a great deal. Between £40 on a wet, slow day and £300 on a Saturday before Christmas. They're quite an impressive set up though. I don't know what you play or even what instrument but that'll be a big factor as will the pitch.
It varies a great deal. Between £40 on a wet, slow day and £300 on a Saturday before Christmas. They're quite an impressive set up though. I don't know what you play or even what instrument but that'll be a big factor as will the pitch.

yea, totally. I met a pretty girl doing very basic guitar **** with some ok singing, she got almost £1/minute.

I have electric equipment so need a sheltered pitch or dry weather - difficult! I daren't go outside habitat yet, the regulars would knife me.

Should be fun anyway. Or scary. Most likely that.
I give them all money, because every single one of them's got more balls than me, serenading a whole street like that.

But I give the most when they look genuinely full of the joys of it all, because that makes me happy.
Hey guys - I busked today for the second time, and after a bit someone came right up and put 50p on my gear - I hadn't put a hat down. So I decided to lay my guitar case out, and after about an hour I had £13!

It was a quiet street, but Christmas Eve of course, so people perhaps felt generous.
Depends on how innovative the music is (some group in London were doing drum & bass with pots and buckets in a subway :biggrin:)
Unless it's an accordionist, I give them £1 every time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending