The Student Room Group

Which leads does xbox 360 and ps3 come with as standard?

Hello,

A relative of mine has bought an xbox360 and ps3 (both online) this xmas but she didnt buy and hdmi cable for either.

I know that hdmi leads dont come as standard with the xbox360 or ps3. Can anyone tell me what leads come in the box of each console??

Also, can she connect the consoles to hdtvs using the leads that came with the console??

thanks if anyone knows
Reply 1
Original post by vamos124
The PS3 (and presumably the xbox too) comes with an RGB lead and Scart adapter which should connect to most hd tv's...from personal experience

what is the point of buying an ''hdmi cable'', then?
Reply 2
The standard AV leads that connect to any TV. Like this:

They looks like that for the PS3. Dunno about the Xbox but i'd imagine they'd be very similar and follow the same colour scheme.

Original post by bloomblaze
what is the point of buying an ''hdmi cable'', then?

To enjoy some nice HD gaming. Seriously, HDMI cables on amazon cost less than a fiver. Thats more than worth it to enjoy crisp and clear sound and image quality. Difference between SD and HD is very significant. HD >> SD. (>> = much greater)
(edited 13 years ago)
Mine came with an HDMI and RGB, but it also had a heap of other colours I didn't know what to do with.
Oh and by mine I mean 360.

I don't think the PS3 has HDMI cause loads of people buy them at the same time as PS3s at work.

You'll be able to connect to a HDTV anyway, whatever cable she gets with them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by F1Addict
The standard AV leads that connect to any TV. Like this:

They looks like that for the PS3. Dunno about the Xbox but i'd imagine they'd be very similar and follow the same colour scheme.

you're telling me that that both the 360 and ps3 come with the leads pictured above (in the box)?

and the console can be connect to an hdtv and played on an hdtv using these cables supplied in the box?

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by chemical_bex
Mine came with an HDMI and RGB, but it also had a heap of other colours I didn't know what to do with.
Oh and by mine I mean 360.

I don't think the PS3 has HDMI cause loads of people buy them at the same time as PS3s at work.

You'll be able to connect to a HDTV anyway, whatever cable she gets with them :smile:

so a cable definately does come with each of them?? whats the point of buying an hdmi cable, if there is a cable in the box that connects it to the hdtv?
I'm pretty sure they both come with RGB cables, the red, green and blue wires that someone posted earlier. If you have an HDTV, an HDMI cable will let you play your games in HD, whereas standard def cables (like the standard RGB ones, or a SCART) will not.
Reply 7
you're telling me that that both the 360 and ps3 come with the leads pictured above (in the box)?

and the console can be connect to an hdtv and played on an hdtv using these cables supplied in the box?

thanks

Don't know if they will be exactly like the image i posted, but they should be similar and simple enough to connect.
Also, if you plan on playing an a HDTV then i really do advise a HDMI cable. Only about £2 on amazon with no delivery charge (its christmas). But hey, whatever 'floats your boat'.
Reply 8
Original post by F1Addict
Don't know if they will be exactly like the image i posted, but they should be similar and simple enough to connect.
Also, if you plan on playing an a HDTV then i really do advise a HDMI cable. Only about £2 on amazon with no delivery charge (its christmas). But hey, whatever 'floats your boat'.

but the cables in the box will be able to connect to the hdtv and play the console(s) on the hdtv for tomorow?
Reply 9
As far as I am aware (it was the case when I bought my 360) all 360s come with a HD cable (in the form of the 5 separate component cables) with the exception of the 360 arcade.

I don't think ps3s come with a HD cable as standard.

The most reliable answers you will get will be from the manufacturers themselves.
The xbox 360 comes with a YPBPR cable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

It's similar to RGB but is capable of full 1080p HD. There are 6 inputs instead of 3.

The PS3 comes with, as has already been said, RGB which is NOT capable of any HD output.
Reply 11
but the cables in the box will be able to connect to the hdtv and play the console(s) on the hdtv for tomorow?

Yeah they should. It'd be odd for a HDTV not to have the red, white and yellow ports nowadays, i think all of them should have the coloured ports. You can check on your HDTV if you want to be safe, but theres not much to worry about. :smile:
You don't need HDMI for the Xbox 360, as the leads it comes with produce a HD picture which is just as good as HDMI. The PS3, on the other hand, you'll want a HDMI lead for, but they only cost a couple of pounds on eBay and despite what the people who work at Currys say, using cheap cables will not give you a lower quality picture unless the cable is ridiculously long. A meter and a half, and cable price is irrelevant; only difference is a cheap cable is more prone to wear and tear, but you're not exactly going to be plugging it in and out every day now, are you?

Original post by SteveDhalai
The xbox 360 comes with a YPBPR cable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

It's similar to RGB but is capable of full 1080p HD. There are 6 inputs instead of 3.

The PS3 comes with, as has already been said, RGB which is NOT capable of any HD output.

Five inputs, actually; the sixth cable on the lead is actually an RGB cable for sets that don't support HD, but it's seperate from the rest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by StakedSalmon
You don't need HDMI for the Xbox 360, as the leads it comes with produce a HD picture which is just as good as HDMI. The PS3, on the other hand, you'll want a HDMI lead for, but they only cost a couple of pounds on eBay and despite what the people who work at Currys say, using cheap cables will not give you a lower quality picture unless the cable is ridiculously long. A meter and a half, and cable price is irrelevant; only difference is a cheap cable is more prone to wear and tear, but you're not exactly going to be plugging it in and out every day now, are you?

Five inputs, actually; the sixth cable on the lead is actually an RGB cable for sets that don't support HD, but it's seperate from the rest.

Ahh fair enough... Actually thinking about it you're right =P 3 for Video, 2 for Audio.

Yes, they will be able to connect to the HDTV, though depending on the cable may only display in "standard definition" or 576i (assuming PAL).
Original post by ExcessNeo
Yes, they will be able to connect to the HDTV, though depending on the cable may only display in "standard definition" or 576i (assuming PAL).

He's right. The PS3 doesn't come with the cables needed to display in HD; you could use component, but since odds are you'll already be using component on your 360, you'll want HDMI on your PS3.

Unless you're okay with have really pixellated graphics being pumped out onto a HD ready TV, which doesn't make sense to me but yaknow...
HDMI cables are crazily priced, saw some going in Currys for £50...worth it? i think not!

i connected my PS3 up with one of these HDMI cables, and tbh, i can really recommend it from a quality perspective, plus its not stupidly priced like them cables in currys/comet! :biggrin:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250746433872&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_2226wt_1139
so a cable definately does come with each of them?? whats the point of buying an hdmi cable, if there is a cable in the box that connects it to the hdtv?

My mate recently bought a PS3 and it came with the standard boxed cable. We were playing black ops zombies and noticed the graphics were amazingly crappy. We bought a HDMI cable and then the graphics made a huge jump, all 'cause of the HDMI cable which did not come as standard. I honestly didn't think a simple cable could make so much difference to graphics.

Edit**

We browsed HDMI cables online and in argos and some were so stupidly priced. We ended up buying a 3 metre one in a game or gamestation store for a fiver.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Carlito o.O
My mate recently bought a PS3 and it came with the standard boxed cable. We were playing black ops zombies and noticed the graphics were amazingly crappy. We bought a HDMI cable and then the graphics made a huge jump, all 'cause of the HDMI cable which did not come as standard. I honestly didn't think a simple cable could make so much difference to graphics.

Edit**

We browsed HDMI cables online and in argos and some were so stupidly priced. We ended up buying a 3 metre one in a game or gamestation store for a fiver.

It has nothing to do with the Cables, well not in the way you're thinking. It's just that when you made the switch to HDMI you started playing in HD

If anyone is buying a HDMI Cable, go buy a 99p one from ebay, they're ALL the same.

EDIT: Here you go http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Premium-1-3-Gold-3ft-1M-HDMI-Cable-1080p-PS3-HDTV-/220691934876?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item336243ae9c#ht_3927wt_1139
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest