The Student Room Group

Can you oxbridge students advise me on what I should do (currently year 12)

gg
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you have far better grades than me and i am neither sporty nor musical. just be smart, passionate and interested/ing, i guess.
Original post by Maxm79
Hey there, first of all, I'm thinking of going to oxbridge (which, am unsure at this moment) and I just want some general advice.

For my GCSEs, I got 11A*s and 1A - is this actually taken into account when I apply??? Or will it solely be AS/Interview/Extra-curricular stuff?

On that note, do you HAVE to do a lot of extra curricular activities?
Someone told me you have to be either very sporty or a talented musician to stand a good chance - someone tell me this isn't true as I am neither.
And what extra curricular activities would you recommend for someone whom is neither?

I currently do 5 AS levels, plan to do 4 A levels: english lit, geography, economics, french and history. Which would you best suggest I drop? (and i WILL drop one)

In terms of courses....
Law, English Lang/Lit, PPE, History and Geography all seem appealing - can any students of these subjects advise me on what to do etc...

Any other comments, please just say!

Also: merry christmas!

I went to an oxford visit and one of the interviewers spoke and said that extra-curriculars mean NOTHING as long as your grades are good. The only this that needs extra-curriculars in medicine in the form of volunteering and work experience.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
They seriously don't care about extra-curriculars, I know they rejected me but that was on interview.
A girl in my year got straight A*s at GCSE, got nearing 100% in all her AS exams, did grades in Violin, Guitar, Singing, Did speech and Drama exams, was head of Choir, started up her own medical society, School Prefect, did Gold Duke of Edinburgh, did loads and LOADS of work experience... the list is endless really. She found out she didn't get into Oxford yesterday.

I know another girl who didn't do half as much as her and didn't get nearly as well as her in exams who got an offer a couple of days ago...

Moral of the story, you just don't know what they're looking for. Give it a shot if you want though, you never know.
Reply 5
First priority is decide what you want to study. Then look at what universities you want to look into studying it at based on the course, how much you like the place (remember you'll be spending three years of your life their), etc etc. Then and only then should you really consider posting this sort of thread. Don't apply to Oxford/Cambridge just because its Oxford/Cambridge.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm not a student but I applied this year so will say what I know from that side of things.
GCSE's - yes, they do take these into account. They also look at how your school on average did and compare you to that. AS levels and the interview are also important, but I do not know how they are weighted. They look at UMS marks from your AS exams and you have to write down retakes so, and I'm sure you won't need to, try and avoid these and just revise like crazy first time round.
Extra curriculars are useful to say you learnt different skills from them and they might ask what you do in your spare time in an interview but no, I don't think it is vital to be really sporty or musical. They say they judge you purely on how good you are academically and the passion you have for your subject. It will be better for you to spend time reading around your subject A LOT though and, if relevant, do work experience (you mentioned law.)
Can't advise you on subjects to drop as I didn't do any of those but good luck with it all :smile: And of course, Merry Christmas! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by raggamuffin93
They look at UMS marks from your AS exams and you have to write down retakes

This is only Cambridge that has its own form for this.
No, you don't need those extras.

Make sure you're comfortable with 4 A levels. It may end up being your achilles heel. Though with those grades...
Reply 9
:facepalm2:

I just cannot understand why people want to go to a university without knowing what subject they're going to study. What do you think you're going to be doing for 3 years?
Reply 10
Get high AS UMS scores (above 90% without resits if possible) if you want to apply to Cambridge - and judging by your GCSEs, that shouldn't be much of a problem at all. :cool:

Other than that, do as much extra curric. as you can but only do what you're good at and enjoy. Don't force yourself into something you don't like just to help your application. Tbh, it isn't really worth much (some Oxbridge colleges say that admission is purely on academic merit) but it would look a bit 'off' if you had nothing else in your application but grades and marks. :smile:

Best of luck. :smile: Oh and Merry Christmas!

raggamuffin
It will be better for you to spend time reading around your subject A LOT though and, if relevant, do work experience (you mentioned law.)

I agree with the first part - but what is in bold is a common misconception and if you apply for law OP, you need to be on guard for this.

They are looking for aspiring law students, not aspiring practicing lawyers! They want students who share their interest (passion really, but that would be a bit too much of an ask for school-leavers who have never studied the subject before) for the law and its methodologies, logic and nature as a discipline, not just applicants who see the degree as a means to an end (although unfortunately many do).

Work experience is probably unnecessary for the subjects you mention; it won't be a bad thing but it's unlikely to be useful to your application and not having done any will not hinder your application to Oxbridge.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DJkG.1
Get high AS UMS scores (above 90% without resits if possible) if you want to apply to Cambridge - and judging by your GCSEs, that shouldn't be much of a problem at all. :cool:

Other than that, do as much extra curric. as you can but only do what you're good at and enjoy. Don't force yourself into something you don't like just to help your application. Tbh, it isn't really worth much (some Oxbridge colleges say that admission is purely on academic merit) but it would look a bit 'off' if you had nothing else in your application but grades and marks. :smile:

Best of luck. :smile: Oh and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas. :xmas:
Be an independent thinker and go for a top university that does its own thing. A forward-thinking establishment is the place to go. Don't get sucked into the culture of private and public privilege - one that glorifies nepotism and belittles the concern about social divisions. I got 3 A*s and an A in sixth form with UMS scores in the 90s - 100% in English and very high scores on many modules, so I wanted the best of universities. Unfortunately I was presumptuous and thought there was only Oxbridge. Its wealth tends to create a grand illusion. Don't be infected by the delusion that Oxbridge is the best: it's merely a place of privilege and ritual - the equivalent of the Catholic Church in Rome. It is all show and no substance. Ignore the place, if you want my advice, and get an education rather than an experience.
Original post by Atlas of The World
Be an independent thinker and go for a top university that does its own thing. A forward-thinking establishment is the place to go. Don't get sucked into the culture of private and public privilege - one that glorifies nepotism and belittles the concern about social divisions. I got 3 A*s and an A in sixth form with UMS scores in the 90s - 100% in English and very high scores on many modules, so I wanted the best of universities. Unfortunately I was presumptuous and thought there was only Oxbridge. Its wealth tends to create a grand illusion. Don't be infected by the delusion that Oxbridge is the best: it's merely a place of privilege and ritual - the equivalent of the Catholic Church in Rome. It is all show and no substance. Ignore the place, if you want my advice, and get an education rather than an experience.

You're right to say wealth doesn't mean Oxford or Cambridge offer the best education of any UK universities. The tutorial system, however, based around 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 sessions with some of the world's leading academics is hard to beat. There's nothing wrong with the traditions that are practised at either institution such as wearing gowns for exams and formal hall, those that remain are harmless. I also challenge the portrayal of either university as being biased towards the wealthy or nepotistic. The number of students from state and private schools correspond exactly with the percentage of pupils who apply from both backgrounds and the fact that the student body is not an accurate model of society (which it undeniably isn't by a long way) is not proof of bias on the universities' part but rather on the failure of the comprehensive sector to encourage and support its students to apply to leading universities.
Original post by coffee-spoons
A girl in my year got straight A*s at GCSE, got nearing 100% in all her AS exams, did grades in Violin, Guitar, Singing, Did speech and Drama exams, was head of Choir, started up her own medical society, School Prefect, did Gold Duke of Edinburgh, did loads and LOADS of work experience... the list is endless really. She found out she didn't get into Oxford yesterday.

I know another girl who didn't do half as much as her and didn't get nearly as well as her in exams who got an offer a couple of days ago...

Moral of the story, you just don't know what they're looking for. Give it a shot if you want though, you never know.

that is like the stories about the woman who survived to 150, having smoked the same amount everyday. The average fat joe will die at 50, as oxford will reject the average fat ****, and all the aforementioned ECs and top o' the line grades will help you.

moral of the story- you know 99% of what they're looking for, so don't go to the interview and speak in haikus and act like a generally well rounded penis
Original post by Atlas of The World

lol
Yes, GCSEs play a part though they're not as important as AS grades. (Congrats by the way, those are great results)

No, you don't have to do loads of extracurricular activites to get in, I sure as hell didn't!

No one can advise you which course to pick. Pick what you're interested in. Personally, I think they're mostly looking for genuine enthusiasm in the subject. Applying just because you want to go to Oxbridge and not caring about what you study isn't a good plan. Also, I wouldn't recommend making getting into Oxbridge your number one life priority - keep some perspective about the whole thing!

Best of luck.
Original post by KingofSpades
that is like the stories about the woman who survived to 150, having smoked the same amount everyday. The average fat joe will die at 50, as oxford will reject the average fat ****, and all the aforementioned ECs and top o' the line grades will help you.

moral of the story- you know 99% of what they're looking for, so don't go to the interview and speak in haikus and act like a generally well rounded penis

the point I'm making is that I think Oxbridge are looking for a particular type of person- you can be 'perfect' but it may not fit their image of an ideal Oxbridge student
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Maxm79
Hey there, first of all, I'm thinking of going to oxbridge (which, am unsure at this moment) and I just want some general advice.

For my GCSEs, I got 11A*s and 1A - is this actually taken into account when I apply??? Or will it solely be AS/Interview/Extra-curricular stuff?

Yes GCSEs are taken into account.

On that note, do you HAVE to do a lot of extra curricular activities?
Someone told me you have to be either very sporty or a talented musician to stand a good chance - someone tell me this isn't true as I am neither.

Essentially, they do not care.

And what extra curricular activities would you recommend for someone whom is neither?

Typically further reading.

I currently do 5 AS levels, plan to do 4 A levels: english lit, geography, economics, french and history. Which would you best suggest I drop? (and i WILL drop one)

The one you are not enjoying/getting the worst grade in?

In terms of courses....
Law, English Lang/Lit, PPE, History and Geography all seem appealing - can any students of these subjects advise me on what to do etc...

That's something you have to make for yourself as Oxbridge are looking for passionate students who are committed to their subject, not individuals who want to study at their institution for the degree title.
Original post by coffee-spoons

You do know that Oxford doesn't see module marks?

Did well in the interview/entrance test? :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending