The Student Room Group

Racist People!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous

And I know i'm being hypocritical here. But if I was a white girl driving, they would NEVER do that.

See above post.
Original post by niall c
To assume that is de facto racist.
How so? To assume that all white people are racist would be racist. To assume that the reason for being harrassed, given that there was no provocation, is his race makes no assumptions of white people generally, only of the individuals harrassing him.
How is that racism.

Theres playing the race card then there is pathetic attempts like this.
OP clarify as I am really, really confused
Reply 24
Original post by JCC-MGS
How so? To assume that all white people are racist would be racist. To assume that the reason for being harrassed, given that there was no provocation, is his race makes no assumptions of white people generally, only of the individuals harrassing him.

No provocation was noted by the OP. The OP is giving an account of events that they have interpreted as being due to racism; other details, that may explain the men's reaction for a host of other reasonable or unreasonable causes, will thus have been excluded. This is how human storytelling works.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that the account is based on the assumption that it was racist, it provides no evidence whatsoever for racism on the men's part beyond the fact that they were white and s/he was Asian. Given they claim to have had a five minute conversation with the people, one would have thought that something indicating racism or the reason for their harassment would be available.

In short, we have an incomplete account that provides no evidence whatsoever as to why the men acted as they did. Perhaps they find it funny to wind up every passing car (have you people not seen The Inbetweeners?!), whoever the driver is. Perhaps the OP, whose account sounds as if written by a female (explicit reference to 'white male' by them) is a girl, in which case they may have been sexist. Perhaps the unsubstantiated assumption that they followed the OP is wrong, and they just happened to be going the same way as him/her.

Given this, it is racist to assume that merely because they are white and the OP Asian, racism is the most likely cause. This is especially true when no evidence is provided of a racist motive, and when to do so is to make assumptions about white men - that they are more racist than sexist on average, for instance - that have no evidential basis.

Depending on your interpretation, the men's actions could be a joke or could be unpleasant harassment. However, be careful with using the word 'racist' as if that automatically makes it worse when, as a matter of fact, your assumptions are based on racial stereotypes. That does not make your assumptions wrong, or immoral; however, there is no room for double standards here. I would suggest that the persecution of vulnerable minorities might, perhaps, be a more suitable concept to condemn as evil.
Original post by JCC-MGS

I bet all that happened was that he wasn't driving very well and they wanted a quick way to get back at him.
Reply 26
LOL! How did you come up with such a random story?
Reply 27
Original post by Anonymous
Lemme get straight to the point.

Today I was driving and looked in my mirror and saw two (white male) drivers in the back car signalling hand movements at me.

So I looked, and he was pulling his belt as to say "your belt isn't on". When I was clearly wearing one, so I pulled my belt out and signalled I was wearing one. His friend sitting next to him then stuck his head out of the window saying "you ain't wearing a f*****g belt". They KNEW I was wearing a belt as I had a conversation (through the mirror) with them for a good 5 minutes.

They then carried on to follow my car, and when they found it too much of a hassle they went the direction they were supposed to.

I'm an Asian by the way. I didn't know this sort of racism still existed, I had a few friends in my car aswell who wear the headscarf. I think if I was alone, they would have followed me..

I don't know why this has affected me quite a bit, maybe it's me being weak, cause in my whole life I have never been abused racially.

I don;t even know what i'm asking, i'm just really upset at the moment, and didn't feel safe in my own car??

Toughen up buddy. This sort of **** is gonna happen. Its sad, I know. but life's a bitch! don't give it so much importance by opening up a thread on it!
Perhaps they were being dickheads for no reason. its is possible that race/religion had nothing to do with this. Point to a single individual who doesn't have haters? THe most loveable, respected people in our eyes have haters.
Unless you have to deal with such people where you work/study, just ignore it completely.

I met a lot such racists in australia. funny thing - most were immigrants themselves :P and they were everywhere...I had to do terrible things to counter them and stop them from flying so high (which I cannot say here)...at least the UK isn't like that XD people here (generally) are much more tolerant...at least london seems so..tsr on the other hand is a whole different story - racists' den. this thread will attract a lot of racists to attack you, which is why i said shouldnt have made a thread!
Original post by ahnaf.c
Toughen up buddy. This sort of **** is gonna happen. Its sad, I know. but life's a bitch! don't give it so much importance by opening up a thread on it!
Perhaps they were being dickheads for no reason. its is possible that race/religion had nothing to do with this. Point to a single individual who doesn't have haters? THe most loveable, respected people in our eyes have haters.
Unless you have to deal with such people where you work/study, just ignore it completely.

I met a lot such racists in australia. funny thing - most were immigrants themselves :P and they were everywhere...I had to do terrible things to counter them and stop them from flying so high (which I cannot say here)...at least the UK isn't like that XD people here (generally) are much more tolerant...at least london seems so..tsr on the other hand is a whole different story - racists' den. this thread will attract a lot of racists to attack you, which is why i said shouldnt have made a thread!

immigrants from where?
Reply 29
Original post by ahnaf.c

Thanks dude! I guess I do need to toughen up, it's only cause' when I used to use public transport nothing of this sort happened. But when i'm safe in a car, some stupid prats decide to mess my day up! So was just a bit shocked, but I agree London is a very multi-cultual place, these dudes did seem like chavs though.

Trust me, although I personally have never experienced a high level of racism. My friend, who is Asian as well, was waiting at the traffic lights to cross the road and was pushed from behind into a car (she broke her ribs). And yes they caught him on CCTV, he was white. :angry:

And another time, she was again waiting to cross the road and these white men in a van said to her, "MOVE OFF THE ROAD" when she was on the pavement, and she replied "I'm not on the road" and they drove into her, so her ribs were bruised again.

I don't get it, why can't people mind there own business, i'm sorry if i'm generalising but white people seem to be the only racists i've heard of that take such vile actions!
I think they meant explosive belt, that's my assumption anyways.
Reply 31
Original post by Justin Hammer
immigrants from where?

europeans and middle eastern!
Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick here but ... what made you think he was doing it because you were Asian? There are some idiots out there who just look to annoy people, and are very indiscriminate in who they pick on.
Reply 33
I understand how it feels. It's not cause you're weak, it's just not logical why these people take this approach.

I had quite a few Greek Cypriots showing me or my parents the middle finger, screaming 'suck my ****' etc. because our car has a Turkish Cypriot license plate. I don't really care if it's done to me but it really feels crap when my mother is with me. I can't stand people attacking her. She's not even a Turkish Cypriot herself really. But that's not the point. It's just that these guys take such a low class, racist approach. If they only knew more about their history.
why did you have a conversation with them ? Retards will always be on the road, and if you were wearing a belt, show them, pull up your mirror and crank some tunes.
Reply 35
What is he, a policeman?

I've never seen another ordinary motorist on the road care if you're wearing a belt or not, I imagine this especially applies to young people who might have a mouth on them like the ones you're describing; it's nothing to do with them. From what I've seen, the only thing other drivers will alert you to is if your brake light is out, or something on your tyres, something that may well directly affect other drivers.

I would like to ask though, why do you assume it's something to do with your Asian ethnicity that they insisted on telling you about your belt?
How is this racist? I don't understand it just sounds like they were trying to annoy you whether or not that's because of your ethnicity is yet to be seen.
Original post by ahnaf.c

Sorry for going off topic but I just had to do that. :P

Please continue your discussion and @OP: My apologies and sympathies. :smile:
So you were driving next to each other and whilst doing so you were having a conversation for 5 minutes?
Maybe they were signalling that one of your friends wasn't wearing a belt.

White males can often be very rough and ready, regardless of your creed, dress or culture. You encounter rude ***** all the time in all walks of life, and generally the further north you go, the higher the percentage of the male (and indeed female) population are rude.

Don't feel you've been singled out in any way - this is coming from a fairly normal looking white male.

And don't you dare pass it off as racism, or I will make it my personal goal to discredit absolutely everything you say on this website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending