The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by G550NDH
Why only Christians ? Im Sikh and would gladly pray for your Gran :smile:

Thank you - I was in a hurry to get out of the house to the hospital when I wrote the thread, and just wanted to say what I wanted to say.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone who believes in God but not in the form of Christ. Especially Sikhs: I've noticed that you're the only religion who seem to really stand by God and not make trouble.

For anyone who's interested: I went to the Midnight Mass at the local Catholic church, and had a word with the priest afterwards, and he's going to pray for her. Dad and I are also going to make an appointment in the new year to clear a couple of... not really problems, but questions... up, and to see about the possibility of becoming a Catholic at some point. Being a Baptist is all very good, but the flag-wavers get up my nose a little bit.
Original post by Tootles
Hello. I've not started this thread for people to debate the finer points of religion, or to tell me whether or not, in your opinion, God exists: I just want you to pray for my grandmother if you believe in God.

You don't need to send a reply into this thread, but please remember Fran in your prayers.

If you don't believe in God or anything like that, then please just remember this woman who has spend her life helping others, and who has survived illness after illness, and whose wisdom will benefit my family and all those around her for years to come!

Thank you all very much, and I hope you all have a good Christmas.

Your Grandmother is in my prayers Tootles

Merry Christmas
Reply 22
Original post by Tootles
Hello. I've not started this thread for people to debate the finer points of religion, or to tell me whether or not, in your opinion, God exists: I just want you to pray for my grandmother if you believe in God.

You don't need to send a reply into this thread, but please remember Fran in your prayers.

If you don't believe in God or anything like that, then please just remember this woman who has spend her life helping others, and who has survived illness after illness, and whose wisdom will benefit my family and all those around her for years to come!

Thank you all very much, and I hope you all have a good Christmas.

Cannot pray for her because I do not believe in God.

Cannot remember her as I do not know her.
I hope she does better then my Auntie..., it would seem she has less negative underlying issues which could cause a chest infection to kill her. A death of a close family member rather kills any positive aspects of the Season. I suppose I could pray to nothing...which would be interesting, I suppose to you YHWH considers a prayer a prayer no matter whose doing it. More realistically... C'mon NK cells! Do your thing! Against a tide of cells seek out the corrupted and contain the virions so the antigen specific cytotoxic T cells can be produced to annihilate this infection before it gets out of control! You have done this thousands of times before..you can do it again!
(edited 13 years ago)
I will definitely include her in my prayers when i go to bed tonight.
I hope she get well soon.
I shall sacrifice a goat.
Reply 26
I'll definitely pray for her! I hope your grandma feels better soon :smile:
Reply 27

Tootles, your comment on religion is so vague...you need to change ur attitude or u'll get in trouble one day...

Original post by Tootles
Thank you - I was in a hurry to get out of the house to the hospital when I wrote the thread, and just wanted to say what I wanted to say.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone who believes in God but not in the form of Christ. Especially Sikhs: I've noticed that you're the only religion who seem to really stand by God and not make trouble.

For anyone who's interested: I went to the Midnight Mass at the local Catholic church, and had a word with the priest afterwards, and he's going to pray for her. Dad and I are also going to make an appointment in the new year to clear a couple of... not really problems, but questions... up, and to see about the possibility of becoming a Catholic at some point. Being a Baptist is all very good, but the flag-wavers get up my nose a little bit.
Reply 28
Don't you need her full name, reason she needs praying, and a photo so we know who to pray for?
Reply 29
I'm Muslim but I'll still pray for her. Hope she gets better soon
Reply 30
Original post by daedalos
Don't you need her full name, reason she needs praying, and a photo so we know who to pray for?
She doesn't like being photographed. The most recent picture I have of her was taken in 1996, and I haven't a way to digitize it.

She's had a good night, and more antibiotics. Dad says she's more like herself this morning.
Reply 31
I know you state that this isn't to debate the 'finer points of religion', and having not read any replies, I'm sure someone has beaten me to it, but why on Earth would you ask someone to pray to something that in your opinion does not exist? You're probably one of the ones that berates others for believing in Him, as well. Hypocrisy, anyone?! Idiot.
Reply 32
Original post by INTJ
Cannot pray for her because I do not believe in God.

Cannot remember her as I do not know her.

Happy Christmas.
Reply 33
Original post by rylit91
I know you state that this isn't to debate the 'finer points of religion', and having not read any replies, I'm sure someone has beaten me to it, but why on Earth would you ask someone to pray to something that in your opinion does not exist? You're probably one of the ones that berates others for believing in Him, as well. Hypocrisy, anyone?! Idiot.
When did I say I didn't believe God existed? I converted in 2005, two years before I joined TSR, and I converted of my own free will; nobody who's been listening properly will have ever heard me say I didn't believe in God. I most emphatically do.
(edited 13 years ago)
I won't pray for her as I don't believe that I have some sort of cosmic telephone in my brain to a celestial deity, but I will keep her in my thoughts this Christmas.

I hope she gets better soon mate.
Will do! Just remember that with any illness or even death, God is 100% in control. :smile:
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas!
Been praying since you opened this thread, prayed throughout today! Shall keep going, so please keep me updated :smile:
Reply 37
Hello again, I've got a little update for you all. Gran's condition has become far more severe, and they can't resuscitate; partly because she has a DNR order, and partly because trying to would probably kill her in itself. The treatment has been ceased for now: they've told us we're now on a countdown. We called the chaplain and he prayed with us and read her favourite passage (the Armour of God), and then dad and I read Psalms 90 and 91.

But after then, I felt a sudden sensation of euphoria which I later realized was contact with the Holy Spirit (which is difficult to admit, having never had a religious experience and never talked of it before). I now know that whatever happens now will be good.

So without being a happy-clappy religious nutter, I feel a bit better, especially after having had a bloody good cry. There's still a possibility that Gran might be strong enough to survive the latest addition to her catalogue of illnesses (haemophilia, COPD, angina, and now a chest infection), and if she can do that, she'll have shown the doctors that it's safe to start treatment again; she'll survive.

Thank you all for praying; I owe you all a prayer and a hug, even if you aren't religious or don't pray to the same god as me. If you can just continue to pray for a while longer, I'll be in all your debt.

God bless.
Reply 38
im muslim, can i pray for her?
Done, and I hope everything turns out okay xx

Latest

Trending

Trending