The Student Room Group

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (university level)

Can someone please explain this one? Why does LHS = RHS?

vuvK(t,w)dt=K(v,w)\displaystyle \frac{\partial}{\partial v} \int^v_u K(t, w) \mathrm{d}t = K(v, w)

where u, v and w are functions of x.

I know it's by the fundamental theorem, but I just don't get how it's done.
You got happy because you got a response to your thread didn't you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
You got happy because you got a response to your thread didn't you :smile:

No, I had a feeling it'd be a troll judging by your username, the time and the date.
Original post by Swayum
No, I had a feeling it'd be a troll judging by your username, the time and the date.

I've seriously no idea how you guys keep this stuff in your head though!?
I mean, if that's not one of the hardest things ever, i'm not sure what is.
Reply 4
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that ddxx0xf(t)dt=f(x)\dfrac{d}{dx} \displaystyle \int^x_{x_0} f(t)\, dt = f(x), where x0x_0 is some constant. Here, since we're doing a partial derivative, we can write f(t)=K(t,w)f(t) = K(t,w) for a particular value of ww (which we're holding constant). Then if F(v)=wvf(t)dtF(v) = \displaystyle \int_w^v f(t)\, dt, the partial derivative for the original integral (which depends on both v and w) is reduced to a total derivative of FF (which has w held constant), and so the derivative is f(v)f(v). Since this is true for all values of w, this means the derivative is just equal to K(v,w)K(v,w).
Reply 5
Original post by super.teve
I've seriously no idea how you guys keep this stuff in your head though!?
I mean, if that's not one of the hardest things ever, i'm not sure what is.

The notation makes it look a lot harder than it really is, to be honest. Imagine a 10 year old walking into a GCSE maths class - he'd find it impossible to comprehend, but in reality every 16 year old in UK is expected to be able to do it.
Original post by Swayum
The notation makes it look a lot harder than it really is, to be honest. Imagine a 10 year old walking into a GCSE maths class - he'd find it impossible to comprehend, but in reality every 16 year old in UK is expected to be able to do it.

No seriously, this is out of my league, I can't comprehend it, I will never and I can't even begin to even look at it.
You math dudes are serious hardcore absolute geniuses.
Reply 7
Original post by nuodai
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that ddxx0xf(t)dt=f(x)\dfrac{d}{dx} \displaystyle \int^x_{x_0} f(t)\, dt = f(x), where x0x_0 is some constant. Here, since we're doing a partial derivative, we can write f(t)=K(t,w)f(t) = K(t,w) for a particular value of ww (which we're holding constant). Then if F(v)=wvf(t)dtF(v) = \displaystyle \int_w^v f(t)\, dt, the partial derivative for the original integral (which depends on both v and w) is reduced to a total derivative of FF (which has w held constant), and so the derivative is f(v)f(v). Since this is true for all values of w, this means the derivative is just equal to K(v,w)K(v,w).

Ah ok, thanks that makes sense. Do we not need to multiply by dv/dx as well though? Like, if we had

ddxx0g(x)f(t)dt\dfrac{d}{dx} \displaystyle \int^{g(x)}_{x_0} f(t)\, dt, then we should get f(g(x))g'(x) right?
Original post by Swayum
Ah ok, thanks that makes sense. Do we not need to multiply by dv/dx as well though? Like, if we had

ddxx0g(x)f(t)dt\dfrac{d}{dx} \displaystyle \int^{g(x)}_{x_0} f(t)\, dt, then we should get f(g(x))g'(x) right?

Why would you multiply by dv/dx when there is no mention of a variable, x, in the original integral?
Also, v isn't a function, it's a variable so there wouldn't be a situation where you'd need to multiply by any additional derivatives. That's what makes it different to the example you've just posted, where the upper limit is g(x) i.e. a function.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Why would you multiply by dv/dx when there is no mention of a variable, x, in the original integral?
Also, v isn't a function, it's a variable so there wouldn't be a situation where you'd need to multiply by any additional derivatives.

As stated in the original post, u, v and w are functions of x...

I think the point is that you're multiplying by dv/dv = 1, so there's no point writing it, but I wanted confirmation.
Reply 10
Original post by Swayum
As stated in the original post, u, v and w are functions of x...

I think the point is that you're multiplying by dv/dv = 1, so there's no point writing it, but I wanted confirmation.

Yes. What you wrote was right. (Well, getting f(g(x))g'(x))
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest