The Student Room Group

IMPORTANT underage students

hey, i've got a question. I am going to university with 17, and my parents don't live in the UK, and there is no one that can be my guardian. but one of my universities asked me for a guardian or something in the UK that they can speak to. Is there any way of getting one? like in host families or something? or do they still have to accept me even if i don't have a guardian, as long as my parents give me the permission?

Scroll to see replies

They don't "have" to accept you at all. Is there no way a family member can travel over with you? Were you planning on coming on your own? It's pretty scary stuff, I'd never have the bottle!
i assume you've told the uni you don't have anybody in the UK?

i think its a bit of a stupid requirement :/
but no they won't reject you on those grounds!
@ gemma: well i am 99% sure they will accept me, but that's not the point. no, no one can come with me, and i don't think there is a problem with living alone at 17 or 18, it's just one year.

@didgeridoo12uk: they sent me an email saying that i need a guardian otherwise they can't consider my application, and i replied that i don't have one and if i am still eligible for the course. and now i am waiting for an reply :frown: it's ridiculous, my parents are fine with me going alone to london, i am fine with it. and now the uni has got a problem with it -.-
Reply 4
Original post by aspiringwhatever
@ gemma: well i am 99% sure they will accept me, but that's not the point. no, no one can come with me, and i don't think there is a problem with living alone at 17 or 18, it's just one year.

@didgeridoo12uk: they sent me an email saying that i need a guardian otherwise they can't consider my application, and i replied that i don't have one and if i am still eligible for the course. and now i am waiting for an reply :frown: it's ridiculous, my parents are fine with me going alone to london, i am fine with it. and now the uni has got a problem with it -.-

Make sure they know you do actually have a guardian, they're just not in the UK.
yeh i told them that, but they want one in the UK. they even want my mum to deliver the parental consent form personally.
They've made it clear they won't accept you without one. So if you don't get a guardian you aint going!
Reply 7
I'll be your guardian. As an older and wiser person of 18, I feel I have sufficient life experience to successfully guide you through your youth into old age, as I did for myself. :awesome:
Reply 8
Hi gareth
it's not my first choice, therefore it's not that bad. i am just gutted being rejected because of my age, even though everything else is more than perfect.
aniways i think i am just gonna make my best friend who is gonna go to uni with me in london and who is overage as my guardian.

@cicerao: of course you can be my guardian, being 18 makes you extremely wise and responsible. :P

@speckle: gareth?
To be honest, you can't really blame the university. The academic course requirements are one thing, but you also have to meet general entry requirements to be accepted, which may be medical requirements, or in the case of underage applicants, the availability of a guardian. Like it or not, but the universities make the rules and if they decide that your age is a factor then either you do what they ask and get a guardian or accept that that specific university is not an option for you.
well that is what i have to do...
they should have just said that right at the beginning, that underage students need a guardian. cos i just wasted one of my choices.
Reply 12

well that is what i have to do...
they should have just said that right at the beginning, that underage students need a guardian. cos i just wasted one of my choices.

It will be stated somewhere on the website and prospectus. It's your own fault if you didn't do any research.
Original post by Juno
It will be stated somewhere on the website and prospectus. It's your own fault if you didn't do any research.

This

It is amazing how many problems people post on here that are down to their laziness in not doing proper research.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi I worked in a public boarding school and I know for a fact there is such a thing as a host family :smile:
Reply 15
I am also an international applicant who will still be 17 by that time. While I didn't meet any problems like this, I think the easiest thing to do (was a suggestion from my advisor) was to just set one of my classmate/friends who were also going to the UK and would already be 18, as a guardian. It would only be for a couple of months anyway:smile:.
Was it Nottingham? They want the same from me. :s-smilie:

Do you know anyone that's in the UK and 18+? If not, they also sent some links to agencies that do it in return for a fee. PM me and I can send you that.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
This

It is amazing how many problems people post on here that are down to their laziness in not doing proper research.

That's just ridiculous because i did research, i read all of their policies and it didn't appear anywhere. and do you know what else is amazing on here? how many people talk **** and judge without even knowing what you did. ohh and my question wasn't about YOUR opinion on my research, soo you are completely irrelevant.
yeah i thought of appointing my bestfriend, i just wasn't sure if i am allowed as he doesn't live in the uk yet. and is only moving in september like me...
Original post by DubarryGroom
Hi I worked in a public boarding school and I know for a fact there is such a thing as a host family :smile:

yeh, but i am NOT going to live with a family. i am going to get my own place.

Latest

Trending

Trending