The Student Room Group

Family Completely Ignoring My Offer :(

I got an offer from York a few days ago. It was my first one and therefore I was completely amazed and happy about this. However, I feel my family doesn't share the same feelings. It came out today at a family meet-up when I said, "I've got into York!":

1. You still have to meet the conditions.
2. What are you going to do with a degree in Spanish and Linguistics?
3. How are you going to fund your studies since the tuition fees have been raised?
4. I pretty think you should study in the Czech Republic.

I know I still have to get the grades to be admitted...but really, my friends are sending me congratulations, people on TSR seem happy and plan their future in terms of those unis having given them offers. Or shouldn't I be utterly neutral about this? I still can fail my Maturita exams and, after all, it's probably not that demanding to get to York...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Educate your parents like I did. And the fees will not affect you for god sake.

Merry Christmas
Reply 2
My parents were a bit like 'YOU ONLY GOT A CONDITIONAL?' and then I explained that that's what everyone gets unless they've already done A levels and they were happier for me.

Ignore them, you should be really proud, York is a really reputable uni in a lovely place, and a languages degree is always really good.
Reply 3
Me: I got an offer from ____!!!
My mom: Oh! Nice. *moves on with life*

Are you seriously expecting everyone to make a big deal over everything you do?
Reply 4
Original post by Ivanka

this is the only valid point, just ignore the other three. well done for getting the offer :h:
Congratulations on the offer you should be happy.:smile:
My family would be excited if I got an offer but my feet would remain on the ground.
Reply 6
My parents couldnt really care about my offers or rejections, after the first 2 i havent even bothered telling them, i think they may feel something when we get into the uni next summer hopefully :wink:
Congrats on the offer :smile:
Probably not the best idea to be asking a 15 yre old.
Reply 8
Original post by Cicerao
Me: I got an offer from ____!!!
My mom: Oh! Nice. *moves on with life*

Are you seriously expecting everyone to make a big deal over everything you do?

No, I'm not, but I don't expect anyone to make silly remarks either. I don't mind if they don't make a big deal out of it (really, I wouldn't love them to), but I thought that they could be rather supportive than discouraging.
Original post by ussumane
Educate your parents like I did. And the fees will not affect you for god sake.

Merry Christmas

o.O
Reply 10

I only told my mum about my first unconditional offer cause at the time we were having a huge arguement.

And I was just checking ucas as a way to ignore her, and it shut her up at least.

Haven't mentioned my two other offers.
Reply 11
Original post by AlligatorTears
o.O

What?
Original post by AlligatorTears
o.O

Well if she's going this year (2011) then no, they won't...
Reply 13
Family are the closest people to you on Earth. Screw them for now. They can be bitch most of the times. But hey! They do have a point. Offer is offer. It only assumes you will get the grades. Keep pushing! And happy christmas
Reply 14
Other than Chinese if I could be given any language alongside my English I would choose Spanish, from a business standpoint especially.
Reply 15
Original post by Ivanka
I got an offer from York a few days ago. It was my first one and therefore I was completely amazed and happy about this. However, I feel my family doesn't share the same feelings. It came out today at a family meet-up when I said, "I've got into York!":

2. What are you going to do with a degree in Spanish and Linguistics?
3. How are you going to fund your studies since the tuition fees have been raised?
4. I pretty think you should study in the Czech Republic.

I know I still have to get the grades to be admitted...but really, my friends are sending me congratulations, people on TSR seem happy and plan their future in terms of those unis having given them offers. Or shouldn't I be utterly neutral about this? I still can fail my Maturita exams and, after all, it's probably not that demanding to get to York...

awwwwwwwww, congrats on the offer :smile: , you really do have to appreciate the generational divide and solider on, sometimes i tell my family some amazing news like i topped a course or i'm on the honours roll and they are like.......... okay......

anyway congrats on the offer! yayayayay :biggrin:
:h: Congrats for getting an offer.
Reply 17
Aww :console: I remember getting all 5 of my offers before telling my parents, I was so happy and my dad was just like '5 offers means nothing' and walked off. I remained silent till results day. :nothing:

:sad:
Congratulations on the offer, hey you shouldn't be bothered too much my parents never make a bug deal if any achievement unless it has monetary benefits for them. At the end of the day you should be proud cuz you're doing this for yourself and no one else! :wink:
Do what you got to do.... to hell with the rest. No point later on in life thinking 'WHAT IF....'

Quick Reply

Latest