The Student Room Group

Work....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SPMS
Ermmm the rich don't have to go to work you dick.
60K a year is not rich.
In other posts you say you go to sixth form, and that you are 16.
I think you are just too thick to go to uni tbh.

I never said 60K is rich, I said after 6-7 months in this current position I'll be manager on a base salary of 60K for the FIRST YEAR !+ Commision I'll be 17 dude. And yes I was at sixth form, but I stopped since I found this job. Too dumb in what aspect? Not be bothered to do work, sit in a boring class-room writing tedious notes for 5 odd years doesn't appeal to me. I passed GCSEs and was possing English Psychology and Geog at sixth form
Reply 21
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I never said 60K is rich, I said after 6-7 months in this current position I'll be manager on a base salary of 60K for the FIRST YEAR !+ Commision I'll be 17 dude. And yes I was at sixth form, but I stopped since I found this job. Too dumb in what aspect? Not be bothered to do work, sit in a boring class-room writing tedious notes for 5 odd years doesn't appeal to me. I passed GCSEs and was possing English Psychology and Geog at sixth form

Well done on the job and stuff, but i dont know anyone who hasnt passed their gcses. Im sure u can get a pass with just coursework!
Original post by rhinger
Yeah, okay, and how long do you think you'll last in the job?

And when you're done with this job, how are you going to find another with just GCSEs and no high-school or university degree. Meh.

I will last ! it's SELF-EMPLOYED YOU IDIOT. I have control over how much money I make everyday, Nobody can sack me, it's a training management programme and we go out and make money, it's up to us if we want to go in or not
Original post by rhinger
I don't know why, but CurlyHairedDude just sounds bitter against people who do go to uni...

Nah of course not, a lot of people only go to uni because :

1. They feel it's the only thing they can do to get a job
2. because of the experience, the stupid sex notion.... blahh
3. They think their gunna be ballin after
4. Sheep factor - everyone else is going so that must mean I have to as well

If someone wants to go to uni, has the money then go for it, but I'll be laughing at you in a few years time :smile:

Original post by Jamil1987
Well done on the job and stuff, but i dont know anyone who hasnt passed their gcses. Im sure u can get a pass with just coursework!

Yeah GCSEs aren't hard, that's how far I got I didn't want to do A-levels I startedt hem and got B's in my first mock, but it wasn't for me
Reply 24
So I'm working full-time and in about 7 months I'll be a manager, I'm only 16 and all the managers are literally in there twenties earlier a base salary of 60K per year, I don't see the point of uni, all this education + debt + no gauruntee of a job at the end, and if you do get a job...it will only pay tops 25K per year for first year grads...

I'm going to have so much money by the time I'm 18, and for those who don't believe me Ican give you information

Not many people will be buying from you if you sell them something with a "gaurantee". Learn how to spell and you might get a job in McDs. Let the rest acquire knowledge and experiences from university.
Reply 25
Nah of course not, a lot of people only go to uni because :

1. They feel it's the only thing they can do to get a job
2. because of the experience, the stupid sex notion.... blahh
3. They think their gunna be ballin after
4. Sheep factor - everyone else is going so that must mean I have to as well

If someone wants to go to uni, has the money then go for it, but I'll be laughing at you in a few years time :smile:

Yeah GCSEs aren't hard, that's how far I got I didn't want to do A-levels I startedt hem and got B's in my first mock, but it wasn't for me

What the **** OP!? You're actually a complete dick. When I started reading your original post I thought "okay, fair enough, sounds like a great opportunity for you, cool..." BUT NO. You went on to sound like a complete snob who's just in it for the money and try to shoot down all the Uni students here and future Uni students here.

In response to your points about University... as someone who is due to commence study at an Australian university in February, my arguments against your point are as follows.

1) Judging by the fact that I have had 3 jobs in what is pretty much an inaccessible industry to undergraduates/students in the UK... since returning to Australia, vs. the only one job I could get in a supermarket for 12hrs per week whilst living in the UK, I don't feel that I "need" to go to University. I could carry on how I am but eventually I'd start to hit obstacles when I want to progress. I want to take my career in a different direction and certain careers (e.g. teaching) are extremely hard/impossible to get into without a degree. That is why I'm going to University. To get a degree. To broaden my knowledge and to get into my chosen career.

2) I don't need to go to University to meet a girl. If you're suggesting that all guys go to Uni to meet girls, get drunk and have sex you're more of a ****tard than I first thought.

3) What do you even mean we think we're "gonna be ballin afterwards"? For someone who's trying to suggest he's smart and going to be richer and better all-round than everyone who doesn't go to University and sound like you're almost 100% convinced of it, you're not coming across as being very smart right now.

4) I don't know anybody who's going to be at the same University as me or studying the same course as me. So nuts to you. Hardly a sheep factor. I left most of my friends and my gf (who is admittedly now my ex!) in the UK to come here to study and live again for various reasons. So I hardly think I'm a sheep and if you ask most people why they go to University they'll probably all tell you different things.

Just so you know... I have to pay for my University fees up-front here because I haven't lived here for a while so I only get to be a resident :rolleyes: Which means I won't have the debt. And I'll have more career options than you... work in a broad industry like IT, or teaching, both of which you can do anywhere in the world and there's definitely money to be made in IT. Also if you pick your Uni carefully and are able to live at home you can save a lot of money. Just saying. I'm laughing at you already.

I really hate to break it to you but your attitude sucks. Grow a pair and stop trying to make a mockery of the education system and what others want/need to do to get into good careers just because you think your ****ty little sales job will sort you for life. I know that sounds a little hypocritical in a way, it might to some, but someone needs to put you in your place because you're just being a dick.

So. Uhm. Yeah.

TROLL.
Original post by cybergrad
Not many people will be buying from you if you sell them something with a "gaurantee". Learn how to spell and you might get a job in McDs. Let the rest acquire knowledge and experiences from university.

Unfortunately when I sell products I speak to them verbally, I don't right stuff down. Why would I need a job in Mcdonalds, if I've already got one. I'm on about 8.33 h/r for up to 7/8 hours a day, it will be going up in a few months too, when Mcdonalds is like 3.87p/h
Reply 27
Unfortunately when I sell products I speak to them verbally, I don't right stuff down. Why would I need a job in Mcdonalds, if I've already got one. I'm on about 8.33 h/r for up to 7/8 hours a day, it will be going up in a few months too, when Mcdonalds is like 3.87p/h

You din't write stuff down in a sales job?
Do you even know what the minimum wage is?
What is the company you work for?
So I'm working full-time and in about 7 months I'll be a manager, I'm only 16 and all the managers are literally in there twenties earlier a base salary of 60K per year, I don't see the point of uni, all this education + debt + no gauruntee of a job at the end, and if you do get a job...it will only pay tops 25K per year for first year grads...

I'm going to have so much money by the time I'm 18, and for those who don't believe me Ican give you information

What industry is this. And in case all the other people saying it haven't mentioned before you are gassed
Reply 29
Try earning 100k+ a year and still attending full time university.

Nothing wrong with what your doing, in fact I encourage more people to do the same.
But remember while your working to do some formal qualifications.
If you get fired tomorrow, you have no references, no qualifications and no job.
A degree will give you that backup you need.
Yeah I don't want to be learning for another 6 years tbh, have a nasty debt, and no gauruntee of a job. Let alone being able to study hard enough to get even a 2:1 it's waste of time, even if I was earning 10K per year for that 6 years, I'm gunna be @ 60K while uni student will be -21K

Uni is probably -30k, just 20k debt

Yes you can slave for 45 years in a job you don't like at your £10k a year. You won't get much promotion opportunities.

Or you can study, pick the job you enjoy and have a comfortable life.
OP is earning 60k in his dream....

First of all it is WRITE not right. You can't right stuff down. You have so bad grammar and come across as extremely inarticulate.

I won't say anything about McDonalds, but I will say that without broadening your skill set you will find it hard to find employment later on if you get fired. Don't forget unless if you have been working at a company for a year you can get fired without warning and no reason given. A lot of people go to university as previously mentioned to gain a safety net of sorts since the degree does broadcast you are an able individual to a certain extent. In this market everyone has a degree, so it isn't so much a wow factor but a pre-requisite. Unless you have extremely connected friends or relatives or get really lucky.

Students from LSE will not think 60k is nothing. Even with a masters degree and a first class degree in economics from LSE, you would still be jumping for joy on £60,000 base salary. This is assuming you are in investment banking front office where most people studying at LSE finance courses want to be in.

You are antagonizing a lot of people on a STUDENT forum who are aspiring to go to good universities. Me included. University is a good place to develop your character, make a network of friends, gain a plethora of knowledge that may or may not be useful amongst other reasons.

Myself I am studying further into a masters because I like to study. My advice to you is to keep the 60k a year job if it truly exists and gap year then go do further studies. Work experience is invaluable in this market, with a management role beneath your belt you could do well at a FTSE 100 company.

Although £8.33 per hour would mean you work roughly just under 20 hours a day..... for a basic of 60k. You work soooo hard, take a rest.
I will last ! it's SELF-EMPLOYED YOU IDIOT. I have control over how much money I make everyday, Nobody can sack me, it's a training management programme and we go out and make money, it's up to us if we want to go in or not

1. What is it exactly that you sell
2. How can you be so positive that the product your selling will be popular forever
3. What got you the job in the first place, must have been a bit of a gamble due to being in mostemployer's eyes a naive school-leaver who isn't even technically an adult yet.

Sounds a bit like one of those pyramid schemes, get-rich-quick if you get in there quick.
Original post by Glen_Nichols
Uni is probably -30k, just 20k debt

Yes you can slave for 45 years in a job you don't like at your £10k a year. You won't get much promotion opportunities.

Or you can study, pick the job you enjoy and have a comfortable life.

Yeah I'm just giving an example I won't be earning 10K a year I'm earning more and in about 8-10 months it'll be much much much more
Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
1. What is it exactly that you sell
2. How can you be so positive that the product your selling will be popular forever
3. What got you the job in the first place, must have been a bit of a gamble due to being in mostemployer's eyes a naive school-leaver who isn't even technically an adult yet.

Sounds a bit like one of those pyramid schemes, get-rich-quick if you get in there quick.

Makeup
Visa card machines to banks, the machine you put your card into then tap in your pin at the shops...
Loft insulations/conversions

and much more, yes you're right. It's win win win for everyone
Original post by Ineedaplace
OP is earning 60k in his dream....

First of all it is WRITE not right. You can't right stuff down. You have so bad grammar and come across as extremely inarticulate.

I won't say anything about McDonalds, but I will say that without broadening your skill set you will find it hard to find employment later on if you get fired. Don't forget unless if you have been working at a company for a year you can get fired without warning and no reason given. A lot of people go to university as previously mentioned to gain a safety net of sorts since the degree does broadcast you are an able individual to a certain extent. In this market everyone has a degree, so it isn't so much a wow factor but a pre-requisite. Unless you have extremely connected friends or relatives or get really lucky.

Students from LSE will not think 60k is nothing. Even with a masters degree and a first class degree in economics from LSE, you would still be jumping for joy on £60,000 base salary. This is assuming you are in investment banking front office where most people studying at LSE finance courses want to be in.

You are antagonizing a lot of people on a STUDENT forum who are aspiring to go to good universities. Me included. University is a good place to develop your character, make a network of friends, gain a plethora of knowledge that may or may not be useful amongst other reasons.

Myself I am studying further into a masters because I like to study. My advice to you is to keep the 60k a year job if it truly exists and gap year then go do further studies. Work experience is invaluable in this market, with a management role beneath your belt you could do well at a FTSE 100 company.

Although £8.33 per hour would mean you work roughly just under 20 hours a day..... for a basic of 60k. You work soooo hard, take a rest.

I agree with what you're saying, my grammar is perfectly fine thanks. It was late at night and I wasn't focusing properly. However I still disagree with the whole university back-up plan, it's a waste of time, money, and effort. However good luck my friend. And lol I'm not earning 60K yet, I earn about £350 pound a week at the moment, should have read the thread and you would have known how much I earnt in the first place.
Reply 36

your forgetting tax.

A student can at least work at half your rate tax free.
Original post by Yawn11
your forgetting tax.

A student can at least work at half your rate tax free.

The figures are after tax, it's a cash in hand job. Envelopes with pay cheques or notes in it....
Reply 38
And lol I'm not earning 60K yet, I earn about £350 pound a week at the moment, should have read the thread and you would have known how much I earnt in the first place.

Haha, 350 a week is what.... at the most 18,500 - assuming you dont take holidays. Throw a 4 weeks holiday in there on half pay and your down to less than 18k. So you really think that in year or so your going to go from a bottom of the pile photocopier position on 18k to some highflying middle manager worth 3 times as much to the business. Jog on.
Original post by Riderz
Haha, 350 a week is what.... at the most 18,500 - assuming you dont take holidays. Throw a 4 weeks holiday in there on half pay and your down to less than 18k. So you really think that in year or so your going to go from a bottom of the pile photocopier position on 18k to some highflying middle manager worth 3 times as much to the business. Jog on.

Yes £350 a week atm. I don't even work in an office lol?.... We will see dude, let me take your E-mail down I'm going to prove to everyone I'm not lying. I'm being serious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending