The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Biological Sciences 2011

Since none already exist, this is a thread for anyone who has got an offer (or is waiting for one) for Biological Sciences at UCL for 2011 entry.

I assume most of you will have attended the interview day at UCL and then got an AAA offer (the 'standard' offer at the moment, or so I've heard).

Guess it's a chance for us to get to know each other and discuss why UCL may be our first choice! :smile:
Reply 1
Applied: 7th October
Questionnaire: 29th October
Questionnaire Submittied: 8th November
Invitation to Interview: 11th November
Interview: 1st December
Offer: in Interview but email came on 6th December :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
is just for biological science or can biochem join in?
Reply 3
Original post by monkeyDace
is just for biological science or can biochem join in?

ah, why not

we'd all be sharing a lot of facilities/lectures anyway :smile:
Reply 4
true, especially in the first year.

subject Biochemistry
applied: 15 Oct
questionnaire submitted: 29 Nov

No additional news other than that. I get the feeling its the same for all home student who applied to biochem.
Reply 5

subject Biochemistry

No additional news other than that. I get the feeling its the same for all home student who applied to biochem.

Is there an open day coming up?
Reply 6
Original post by AlexB1001
Is there an open day coming up?

Yeah, end of Jan and onward till March. I heard they invited last year about 25 applicant each week on wednesday till they had 250 applicants, which most of them received offer.

Obviously not everyone got the grades to match the offers, so at the end it got reduced and they eventually accepted about 100 (considering they had about 50 placed originally)

I'm expecting them to be strict this year.
Reply 7
Yeah, end of Jan and onward till March. I heard they invited last year about 25 applicant each week on wednesday till they had 250 applicants, which most of them received offer.

Obviously not everyone got the grades to match the offers, so at the end it got reduced and they eventually accepted about 100 (considering they had about 50 placed originally)

I'm expecting them to be strict this year.

If only my Oxford interview had been as easy as the UCL interview... Oh well, the world is a strange and unpredictable place...
Reply 8

subject Biochemistry

did they send you an acknowledgement email or anything so you know they've got ur questionnaire?
Reply 9
Original post by themagnum00
did they send you an acknowledgement email or anything so you know they've got ur questionnaire?

Naa. They haven't send me an acknowledgement stating that they have received my questionnare.

It worries me a bit, as I have read that some have received it. I did send like 6 minutes before the deadline (5pm) and since they havent rejected me, it must mean that they are still considering whether to interview me.

its a stressful days, especially with the exams coming.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was set to have an interview on 26th Jan but that was the same day as my chem exam so its been moved to the 2nd Feb!
What are the interviews like?
Has anyone had an offer of AAB?
Reply 11
Original post by Sarahwallwork
I was set to have an interview on 26th Jan but that was the same day as my chem exam so its been moved to the 2nd Feb!
What are the interviews like?
Has anyone had an offer of AAB?

The person interviewing me (who said she was in charge of sending the offer letters) told me that she wanted to give me an AAB offer, but this year everyone was getting an AAA offer. The interview is basically an offer - it is to give you a look at life in the university and make sure you aren't a complete fool and don't hate Biology!

The questions will be tailored around your personal statement.

I was asked why I liked English - we talked about the plays of Tennessee Williams for about 5 minutes. Then she asked me why I like Biology, and whether intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution (though this is because I had read a book about why this should not be the case and she could see that on my PS). She asked me about an example of gene therapy - I didn't know and talked about harvesting insulin from bacteria instead - and then she told me she wanted to give me an offer, at which point I relaxed and just chatted about life at UCL.

Don't be worried. I'd say your chances are something like 90:10. Unlike Oxbridge, once you've got your interview, you're pretty much sorted! :biggrin:
Original post by AlexB1001
The person interviewing me (who said she was in charge of sending the offer letters) told me that she wanted to give me an AAB offer, but this year everyone was getting an AAA offer. The interview is basically an offer - it is to give you a look at life in the university and make sure you aren't a complete fool and don't hate Biology!

The questions will be tailored around your personal statement.

I was asked why I liked English - we talked about the plays of Tennessee Williams for about 5 minutes. Then she asked me why I like Biology, and whether intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution (though this is because I had read a book about why this should not be the case and she could see that on my PS). She asked me about an example of gene therapy - I didn't know and talked about harvesting insulin from bacteria instead - and then she told me she wanted to give me an offer, at which point I relaxed and just chatted about life at UCL.

Don't be worried. I'd say your chances are something like 90:10. Unlike Oxbridge, once you've got your interview, you're pretty much sorted! :biggrin:

thanks thats really helpful :smile: its reassuring but also SO ANNOYING! Whats the point of offering me over my predicted grades (AAB). I guess im capable of getting of getting AAA but its gonna be such a stretch! SO MUCH STRESSSSSSSS. Okay rant over, thanks again!
Reply 13
this waiting is soooo messing up my revision :mad:

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Anyone who had an interview on feb 23rd - have you heard from them yet? xx
Hi, i'm a prospective student and would like to seek solutions to my questions regarding BSc Biological Sciences :smile:

1. Can I choose to work in the industry for a year before my final year?
2. Am I able to switch to BSc Molecular Biology after the first year? (Just like BSc Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending