The Student Room Group

Boyfriend stopped saying "I love you"

the last time he said it was about a month ago.. we haven't argued or anything like that, that's why i'm confused
i say i love him regularly, and lately his responces have been an uhu (if on the phone) or a smiley face/ignore on chat
:frown:
what to do? don't want to appear clingy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

"You say it best, when you say nothing at all".

Spoiler

Reply 2
Did he say it a lot before?
Maybe you should stop saying it too, or ask him about it...
Reply 3
thing is, his other behaviour hasn't changed
still calls me cute names, initiates conversation etc..
Reply 4
Original post by alissasantiago
Did he say it a lot before?
Maybe you should stop saying it too, or ask him about it...

yes, almost every day
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
yes, almost every day

Maybe just ask him about it? If you ask in a non-neurotic, way, I don't think you'll come across as clingy... :smile:
ouch..
-he used to say it everyday before
-he still calls you cute names just not "Ilove you"
-you haven't argued or had a change in your relationship
-nothing major bad in his life to drop his mood..

it's not looking good :frown:
Maybe he felt he said it too much and it became meaningless each time?
He's a boy, he probably doesn't even realise he doesn't say it but his other behaviour hasnt changed so I think you're fine :smile:
Reply 9
thing is, his other behaviour hasn't changed
still calls me cute names, initiates conversation etc..

If you see an expression of scorn on his face, run away. Otherwise you could just wait or discuss the matter. The fact is that subconscious reactions often precede thoughts hence he could have lost the feelings of love towards you but continues to express more shallow expressions such as cute names.
Reply 10
Original post by DubarryGroom
He's a boy, he probably doesn't even realise he doesn't say it but his other behaviour hasnt changed so I think you're fine :smile:

yes, but an "uhu" response, instead of "me too" or something along the lines of? just as short
:frown:
we're in an LDR and i'm visiting him tomorrow for a couple of weeks... gah
He might not love you, he might double love you! :smile: Dont worry. If your worried ask him.
Reply 12
Original post by Life_peer
If you see an expression of scorn on his face, run away. Otherwise you could just wait or discuss the matter. The fact is that subconscious reactions often precede thoughts hence he could have lost the feelings of love towards you but continues to express more shallow expressions such as cute names.

he's changed shifts at work to see me, looked up films we could watch.. we've had more dirty talk than before
i'm just afraid the only thing left for him is lust:frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Life_peer

how long do you think i should wait when i see him in person before i mention it? (supposing he still doesn't say it)
"Uh-huh" is a weird response to an "i love you", I'd be a bit worried if i were you... Maybe try not saying it as much as before, and see where he goes from there (if he even notices it)?
he's changed shifts at work to see me, looked up films we could watch.. we've had more dirty talk than before
i'm just afraid the only thing left for him is lust:frown:

You have correctly mentioned lust, which could be the reason for keeping up the relationship even if he does realise that the feeling is not love anymore. I do not know him, but let us doubt that he is using you. It seems not likely to be the case. Some people do not end relationships because they realise that it has been already too long just to put it behind and do not ever look back. This causes the time for the breakup to lengthen, but if there is no fresh impulse of love, the result is undeniable from the first moment.

how long do you think i should wait when i see him in person before i mention it? (supposing he still doesn't say it)

I think that it depends on the situation. I recommend you to read some articles or even books, if you have enough time, about body language those could help you with spotting minor subconscious signals. Then if you feel that he shows negative attitude towards you, the time would be just right, because you do not want a positive answer at all costs, but a truthful one. The point is to make him familiar with his feeling on a conscious level so that he could respond verbally. The time is ideal because the more he feels aloof, the more he realises it.

Anyway, I am sorry to say this, but the signs that you have mentioned do not seem to be very positive for your relationship.
omg...
boyfriend stopped saying I love you
dump dump dump
Reply 17
Original post by Theconomist
omg...
boyfriend stopped saying I love you
dump dump dump

baharr
witty
Reply 18
How does he react when you say it face to face?
That's because he doesn't you slag

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending