The Student Room Group

Are these good A-level choices?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Do maths/language instead of B&M or Religious studies.

I don't want to drop B&M at all - the course is Cambridge Pre-U, it's well regarded by top universities.
Original post by Part A
I don't want to drop B&M at all - the course is Cambridge Pre-U, it's well regarded by top universities.

Well then do not. I wrote B&M or RS.
Reply 22
Original post by Part A
Why is this?

Like i said, they OVERLAP! If you don't wanna do Maths, maybe something like English Lit?
Reply 23
Original post by Junaid16
Like i said, they OVERLAP! If you don't wanna do Maths, maybe something like English Lit?

Why would it matter that it overlaps? If it has similar material, surely this is a good thing?
lol'd at Business & Management and Religious Studies.
I'd say english instead of either business or RS, if you're thinking of doing Law, they really like an essay based subject, which although you already have with history, another one would be a strong choice.

Oh a language maybe a good idea too. More prospects + if you're thinking of applying to somewhere like UCL they love their languages.
Reply 26
Original post by tillytots
I'd say english instead of either business or RS, if you're thinking of doing Law, they really like an essay based subject, which although you already have with history, another one would be a strong choice.

Oh a language maybe a good idea too. More prospects + if you're thinking of applying to somewhere like UCL they love their languages.

Really useless at languages except Arabic which I speak and some Urdu.

I don't know why people are negging B&M at Cambridge Pre-U - it's a qualification which is much harder than normal A-levels and is well respected by top universities.

RS is not seen as a great subject but it still has slight relevance and is not a doss subject.
Reply 27
your choices are good, however, i would advise you to switch RS or BM with either something like maths, physics or maybe even geography?
Reply 28
Original post by bluemax
your choices are good, however, i would advise you to switch RS or BM with either something like maths, physics or maybe even geography?

Thanks for your advice but how would Physics/Geography have any relevance if I wanted to a Business/Law degree. Sorry if this sound critical but I'm just trying to see the point?
Reply 29
Law's not a good A Level. Even if one is planning to do it at university.

It's perfectly adequate.

Don't just spew information you've (wrongly) heard on TSR.
Reply 30
Original post by Part A
Why would it matter that it overlaps? If it has similar material, surely this is a good thing?

I'm not an admission person, but then in a way you're gaining two A-Levels for the price of 1 if that makes sense. It's up to you, but that Business & Management course is probably not highly respected, but ultimately its your choice.
Reply 31
Original post by Part A
Would love to do Politics but it's not offered at our school :/ - thank you!

Has anyone done these A-levels - what are they like to study? workload involved?

Bit worried about History...

Tbh i really regret taking history now the workload is immense! I plan to drop it after AS anyway so :cool:
Original post by Part A
Not really aiming at LSE, lower than that - Bath, Warwick, Lancaster e.t.c and especially the Business Administration course at Bath which looks attractive.

I really dislike Maths though, I will probably get an A/A* at it for GCSE but I really don't want to do it for AS?!

I think that a mixture of Business studies and Economics is a bad idea as they both have related content so Maths would be a better choice, Interestingly Warwick uni want you to study one maths/science subject for their Management degree.
Good Humanities :smile: Might be an idea to do maths just to balance your choices, but it seems all very well reasoned.
But don't do Maths if it doesn't come to you!
Original post by draikzer
It's perfectly adequate.

Don't just spew information you've (wrongly) heard on TSR.

Still, you don't need it to do law at university.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Still, you don't need it to do law.

You don't need English Literature or History either, yet they're still desirable.
Reply 36
Still, you don't need it to do law.

That wasn't what you said. You said it wasn't good.

It's a perfectly good a-level subject.

Nobody said it was needed. No subject is needed to do Law.
Reply 37
Original post by Hanz_a93
Tbh i really regret taking history now the workload is immense! I plan to drop it after AS anyway so :cool:

What is the workload like? I'm really worried about it?! xx
Original post by Part A
My school doesn't offer Law, but it does a General Studies option in it ?

It doesn't? :lolwut: it's kind of unusual but I don't think you should do general studies it's not worth the paper it's written on. But do an awful lot of reading on law, the unis will want to know the reason why you're interested in it.

Law's not a good A Level. Even if one is planning to do it at university.

How so? my friends do it and looking at the syllabus, I cannot think of a better way of preparing and it is something to talk about in the application.

Tbh the only A levels not worth doing is Genral studies/Critical thinking
Original post by Part A
Currently picking my options for sixth form and have chosen:

Business & Management (Cambridge Pre-U)
Economics
History
Religious Studies

Anybody have advice for these Alevels or any insight?

I think I will drop either History or RS for A2 - I'm hoping to do Business/Law UG courses at Russell Group universities e.t.c

Thanks in advance :smile:

Decent choices.

The last sentence almost made me throw up though.

Quick Reply

Latest