The Student Room Group

Anyone care to critique my CV?

Original CV removed.

It needs to be edited but feel free to give any constructive advice/criticism on my CV - I have applied for work experience at some corporate law firms and I need to submit my CV by next week.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have edited my CV after some helpful advice - http://rapidshare.com/files/439248056/CV_2011_TSR.docx
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The layout is not right..... would you like me to fix it, seeing as I'm starting work experience at a law firm soon ;p
Reply 2
Original post by Memo100
The layout is not right..... would you like me to fix it, seeing as I'm starting work experience at a law firm soon ;p

I knew the layout was totally messed up - it would be great if you could do that! Where are you doing your work experience?

I have done about a month's worth for some local firms but am looking for corporate law work experience with big firms. Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Part A
I knew the layout was totally messed up - it would be great if you could do that! Where are you doing your work experience?

I have done about a month's worth for some local firms but am looking for corporate law work experience with big firms. Thank you!

Clifford chance, i had an interview there on wednesday and the lady was telling me about all the CVs she got from graduates and how rubbish they were lol she said she'll let me have a read one day ;p

i'll fix and email it ok?
Reply 4
Original post by Memo100
Clifford chance, i had an interview there on wednesday and the lady was telling me about all the CVs she got from graduates and how rubbish they were lol she said she'll let me have a read one day ;p

i'll fix and email it ok?

Yeah that'd be great :smile: thank you so much!

and how did you get work experience at Clifford Chance? unless you're at university or have contacts? :smile: ! x
Reply 5
Original post by Part A
Yeah that'd be great :smile: thank you so much!

and how did you get work experience at Clifford Chance? unless you're at university or have contacts? :smile: ! x

my brother use to work there :colondollar: but they only promised to meet me, obviously they thought i was good enough because if they didn't they wouldn't have risked it just to do my bro a favour :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Memo100
my brother use to work there :colondollar: but they only promised to meet me, obviously they thought i was good enough because if they didn't they wouldn't have risked it just to do my bro a favour :tongue:

Ah I thought it would be something like that. I've applied for some work placement scheme at a few corporate law firms but none as prestigious as CC. Would they accept applicants who don't have brothers working there do you reckon? :wink:
You could try the CV Help forum. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Potally_Tissed
You could try the CV Help forum. :smile:

I have :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Part A
Ah I thought it would be something like that. I've applied for some work placement scheme at a few corporate law firms but none as prestigious as CC. Would they accept applicants who don't have brothers working there do you reckon? :wink:

All i can say is that your CV has to be the bees knees, do you have to email them with a cover letter? thats what i had to do. If not, do it anyway
Reply 10
Original post by Memo100
All i can say is that your CV has to be the bees knees, do you have to email them with a cover letter? thats what i had to do. If not, do it anyway

Hi, I know! What is your CV like?
Reply 11
Original post by Part A
Hi, I know! What is your CV like?

Its pretty awesome ;p lol i'm on a gap yr now so I'll get to add proper work experience to it, whereas before it was full of retail work
Reply 12
Original post by Memo100
Its pretty awesome ;p lol i'm on a gap yr now so I'll get to add proper work experience to it, whereas before it was full of retail work

Ah, I'm also thinking of doing a Gap year to boost my application! Where are you doing it? and thanks for your tips on my CV, editing it now!
Reply 13
Original post by Part A
Ah, I'm also thinking of doing a Gap year to boost my application! Where are you doing it? and thanks for your tips on my CV, editing it now!

Ur welcome, yh its a great idea, travel, work, earn money, hopefully it'll be a yr well spent :biggrin:
Taken out address for privacy but left email and phone number in? Lol
Reply 15
Original post by Roflhahalol
Taken out address for privacy but left email and phone number in? Lol

Haha, yep :smile:
Name, email and phone number left in?

Excellent.
Reply 17
Original post by ilickbatteries
Name, email and phone number left in?

Excellent.

New EDITED CV - http://www.2shared.com/file/l87GVxN7/CV_2011_TSR.html
Personal statement is too much.
And thats coming from someone who has reviewed plenty of CVs for people on here..
Reply 19
Original post by Roflhahalol
Personal statement is too much.
And thats coming from someone who has reviewed plenty of CVs for people on here..

Hmm, I might include it as part of my covering letter then. x

Quick Reply