The Student Room Group

Maths.

I feel like I am missing the complete obvious here but how do I find A,B.C and D?

1/(x^2+1)^4 = d/dx*(Ax^5+Bx^3+Cx)/(x^2+1)^3 + Dx^6/(x^2+1)^4

I differentiated it and subbed in x = 1 but in the end all I'm left with is constants and no way of solving them......there must be a step i'm overlooking?

THanks.
What is the actual question? Is it just to find A, B, C and D?
Reply 2
it might work ..but try integrating LHS instead of differentiating RHS ..seems much easier and then do all the rearranging stuff
Reply 3
Original post by Chelle-belle
What is the actual question? Is it just to find A, B, C and D?

well the first part of the question is "show that for 0<x<1 the largest value of x^6/(x^2+1)^4 is 1/16.

This is the second part that I have given in my OP.

btw, it's supposed to be greater than or equal to and not greater than!
Reply 4
Original post by rbnphlp
it might work ..but try integrating LHS instead of differentiating RHS ..seems much easier and then do all the rearranging stuff

How will that help?
Reply 5
Original post by boromir9111
well the first part of the question is "show that for 0<x<1 the largest value of x^6/(x^2+1)^4 is 1/16.

This is the second part that I have given in my OP.

btw, it's supposed to be greater than or equal to and not greater than!

ok in that case , your method is probably the safe bet ..just carefully rearrange everything and compare coefficients just like you would do in partial fractions ..(post your working if you wish)
Reply 6
Well after differentiating it and subbing in x = 1, I get

1/16 = (4A - 6C + D)/16

I can't see anyway of solving that?
Reply 7

1/16 = (4A - 6C + D)/16

ok ..Im not sure how you got that ..

post you working ..
before substituting in x , rearrange so that, say you get something like Ax^2+bx+C=1
now compare coffecents , here you know Ax^2=0,bx=0 and C=1.

1 = 4A - 6C + D

Can you post the differentiated version so we don't have to do it lol :colondollar:
Reply 9
Lol. Seems like I have totally forgotten how to do partial fractions......thanks mate!
Reply 10
Can you post the differentiated version so we don't have to do it lol :colondollar:

I may be wrong on this but I get:

((Ax^5 + Bx^3 + Cx)*-6x)/(x^2+1)^2 + (5Ax^4 + 3Bx^2 + C)/(x^2+1)^3 +

Dx^6/(x^2+1)^4
I'm assuming this is a STEP I question?
Well after differentiating it and subbing in x = 1

Not that I have a solution (sorry) but you subbed x=1 into

6x(Ax5+Bx3+Cx)(x2+1)2+5Ax4+3Bx2+C(x2+1)3+Dx6(x2+1)4=116\frac{-6x(Ax^5+Bx^3+Cx)}{(x^2+1)^2}+ \frac{5Ax^4+3Bx^2+C}{(x^2+1)^3}+ \frac{Dx^6}{(x^2+1)^4} = \frac{1}{16}
?
Reply 13
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I'm assuming this is a STEP I question?

Yeah....I kinda figured you would know that! I came across and it intrigued me and now it's annoying me!
Reply 14
Not that I have a solution (sorry) but you subbed x=1 into

6x(Ax5+Bx3+Cx)(x2+1)2+5Ax4+3Bx2+C(x2+1)3+Dx6(x2+1)4=116\frac{-6x(Ax^5+Bx^3+Cx)}{(x^2+1)^2}+ \frac{5Ax^4+3Bx^2+C}{(x^2+1)^3}+ \frac{Dx^6}{(x^2+1)^4} = \frac{1}{16}
?

:yes:
Write in latex please

Never mind!!!

From there, combine it into one fraction. Then equate the numerators of the LHS and RHS. Then expand and rearrange that expression to obtain a polynomial of degree 6. You should be able to find the value of C immediately from there. Then equate the coefficients of each power of x to what they are on the RHS to obtain a system of simultaneous equations (IIRC they should be zeroes). The values should follow from there easily. This is just an algebraic exercise, rather than a puzzling problem tbh. All you need to do is be careful with your algebra.
Reply 17
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
From there, combine it into one fraction. Then equate the numerators of the LHS and RHS. Then expand and rearrange that expression to obtain a polynomial of degree 6. You should be able to find the value of C immediately from there. Then equate the coefficients of each power of x to what they are on the RHS to obtain a system of simultaneous equations (IIRC they should be zeroes). The values should follow from there easily. This is just an algebraic exercise, rather than a puzzling problem tbh. All you need to do is be careful with your algebra.

I was hoping I didn't have to do that lol.....but yeah, I get it now......thanks a lot buddy!

Mmm could have been me (I tend to complete arithmetic stupidly by mistake) but try it again.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Mmm could have been me (I tend to complete arithmetic stupidly by mistake) but try it again.

Yeah, I know how to do it now....thanks anyway! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest